Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Carrera Gt

Old 10-02-2007, 04:53 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you rent the movie, Fracture, Anthony Hopkins gets in one at the beginning of the movie. It's a stupid movie, but the CGT is SWEET.

I saw one in Scottsdale and almost peed myself.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i saw one parked on the street in chicago a few weeks ago, right across the street from barleycorn on clark if anyone knows where that is. was quite surprised to see one in chicago, even more so parked at a meter! that was my first and only time seeing one...too bad didn't get to hear it drive off.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:53 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by BATMANs,Oct 2 2007, 09:40 AM
I got a ride in a yellow one.

There is a guy at my work that has a yellow C GT as his daily beater.

I like folks like that.

Garage Queens can blow me..... and that includes folks that have S2k garage queens.

Alot of NSX folks are garage queens. Girlie Men.....
I work in the ghetto. I would rather take my 1992 Ford Ranger, get off of work and see it has been stolen than my S2000. Garage queen S2000s rule!
Old 10-02-2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by overst33r,Oct 2 2007, 04:45 PM
What makes you say that?

The stock ceramic composite clutch lasts ~40k miles with aggressive driving I read in an article by Jay Leno.

That is unheard of in the realm of exotics...

It's pretty much a street legal race car (I do realize it has air conditioning, a stereo, a navigation system and a cockpit full of leather. That said it performs on par if not better than the Enzo which Ferrari considers a race car for the street)... Race cars don't have TC or DSC, why would the GT have it?

Although it would have been a nice thing to add for the more inexperienced drivers...
The car basically has no flywheel. It causes the car to be very hard to get off of the line when you are just tooling around. I dont think the buyers of this car appreciated stalling so much in their 450K car in front of all of the city traffic.

Plus it came out around the same time as the Enzo which outperforms it, althought it costs around 200K more, but if you can afford 450, you can afford 650. Right car, wrong time, I believe.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by overst33r,Oct 2 2007, 04:45 PM
What makes you say that?

The stock ceramic composite clutch lasts ~40k miles with aggressive driving I read in an article by Jay Leno.

That is unheard of in the realm of exotics...

It's pretty much a street legal race car (I do realize it has air conditioning, a stereo, a navigation system and a cockpit full of leather. That said it performs on par if not better than the Enzo which Ferrari considers a race car for the street)... Race cars don't have TC or DSC, why would the GT have it?

Although it would have been a nice thing to add for the more inexperienced drivers...
The clutch thing was answered above. Nice high tech clutch and all but not so easy to street.

Race cars have TC, at least F1 cars do. Look at how many CGTs were wrapped around trees and poles.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhp012,Oct 1 2007, 10:15 PM
for those who have seen the porscge carrera gt.
looks much smaller then in pics and videos right?
It is a pretty decent size car. Not small in overall size by any means. I have been lucky enough to drive one, and they are quite thrilling. An F1 car for the street.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by ebeldesign,Oct 2 2007, 08:56 PM
The car basically has no flywheel. It causes the car to be very hard to get off of the line when you are just tooling around. I dont think the buyers of this car appreciated stalling so much in their 450K car in front of all of the city traffic.

Plus it came out around the same time as the Enzo which outperforms it, althought it costs around 200K more, but if you can afford 450, you can afford 650. Right car, wrong time, I believe.
Have you actually ever driven one, or are you just passing along information as fact that you have no real base for? The car is not hard to drive at all. If you know how to drive a manual transmission, you can drive the Carrera GT in traffic without problems.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel L,Oct 2 2007, 09:06 PM
The clutch thing was answered above. Nice high tech clutch and all but not so easy to street.

Race cars have TC, at least F1 cars do. Look at how many CGTs were wrapped around trees and poles.
Why do you find the car hard to drive? It is perfectly easy to drive on the streets. Just like any other Porsche.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:29 PM

I agree with Meeyatch...

A friend of mine who's an avid car enthusiast owns one in addition to some other great rides. Its an Ascot silver CGT. I got a chance to start it and rev it up, and its just unbelievable how light all the reciprocating components inside the motor feel - the car picks and drops revs at an unbelievable rate.

Btw, the CGT DOES HAVE traction control. And once your used to the clutch, it becomes a non issue.

I think its one of the best supercars ever made, and is better than the enzo for a number of reasons:
- true 6spd manual
- convertible (sort of)
- fantastic body lines - a sort of simple yet powerful expression of styling that is timeless
- BADASS sound

Great car, and someday I'd like to drive/own one.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:33 PM

Received 81 Likes on 31 Posts

I've driven one, and the clutch feel is very tricky. You can't engage the clutch normally as you would in any other car. Basically, there are two ways to get off the line without stalling. One way is to give it plenty of throttle and revs and launch hard. The other way is to not push the throttle down at all until the clutch bites.

I stalled the car three times before I understood my cousin's instructions on the proper technique.

BTW, I've been driving manual transmission cars for the past 19 years.

Quick Reply: Carrera Gt