Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Carreer choice?

Old 10-22-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Carreer choice?

My brother took this pic of a bellmans' car in Nawlins...

[attachment=86587hoto.htm]
Attached Files
File Type: htm
photo.htm (254.7 KB, 119 views)
Old 10-22-2015, 08:43 AM

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gerry100

Sorry if you cant see the pics folks ( my ineptitude)

It's the back end of a late model 'vette

Plate reads " FRMTIPS"
Old 10-22-2015, 09:55 AM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

So. . . I'd almost kick this over to Off-Topic, but I'll leave it here.

1.) How used is that Vette?
2.) Regardless of #1, a good bellman can (and should!) make a very good wage. In any big city hotel, the bell staff are the first folks people meet coming in, and the last staff folks see upon leaving the hotel. They know the taxi drivers, they know the delivery guys, they work with the concierge to help with unique problems and requests.

On one particular Convention of Back Lot Bastards (see The Back Lot when you can), the bell staff solved a ton of directional and logistics problems for us. . . including some problems way into the evening when we were in, ahhh, full "party mode." Absolutely stellar service. . . and we tipped commensurately.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What Unkie said. And just because the guy has a nice car with a vanity plate does not make him rich. He could be living in a one room flop house with 3 other guys, peeing in the sink and shitting in the waste paper basket. He could be upside down and three payments late on a 20% interest rate car loan. You just do no know.

Again what Unkie, just because a person is in the service industry does not mean he or she has one foot in the poor house or is somehow a lesser person.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe it's his stripping gf's car.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:31 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Its just a Vette not sure why you would get your panties all in a wad about it.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:55 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

So?
Old 10-22-2015, 06:53 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Good for him. People focus way too much on what people do for a living and not enough on how good people are at what they do. I have far more respect for a waiter who is a master of his craft than a lawyer who phones it in.

Whether you fly planes or scrub toilets, I commend you if you do it well.

As Abraham Lincoln supposedly said, "Whatever you are, be a good one."
Old 10-23-2015, 02:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gerry100

F[i]rm tips huh. Sounds like there could be multiple meanings? I think I may have seen that licence plate here in Washington oddly enough, or something similar.

Btw, your title is misspelled. It is career, not "carreer".

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
So. . . I'd almost kick this over to Off-Topic, but I'll leave it here.

1.) How used is that Vette?
2.) Regardless of #1, a good bellman can (and should!) make a very good wage. In any big city hotel, the bell staff are the first folks people meet coming in, and the last staff folks see upon leaving the hotel. They know the taxi drivers, they know the delivery guys, they work with the concierge to help with unique problems and requests.

On one particular Convention of Back Lot Bastards (see The Back Lot when you can), the bell staff solved a ton of directional and logistics problems for us. . . including some problems way into the evening when we were in, ahhh, full "party mode." Absolutely stellar service. . . and we tipped commensurately.
Agree with number 2, in fact I'd rather see a much nicer car, like a brand new BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Lambo, or even Ferrari go to a hardworking bellman, customer service representative, sales associate, ..., than a lot of people who do own them.
Hell, if people's wages, assets, and net worth could be affected more by their character, I think we'd all be better off.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:52 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
a good bellman can (and should!) make a very good wage. In any big city hotel, the bell staff are the first folks people meet coming in, and the last staff folks see upon leaving the hotel. They know the taxi drivers, they know the delivery guys, they work with the concierge to help with unique problems and requests.

Modern airports are making skycaps go the way of the dodo bird, but most could make six figures off of tips.

Waiters in top notch restaurants can make six figures as well. A place in Minneapolis called Manny's Steakhouse was the place we took my dad for his birthday dinner and I think the tip for our table was $120. It is a small expensive place for special occasions, but it is always full. He was handling six tables and probably turned them over 3 times per night. If the average table was giving him just a $50 tip he would make $900 a night (but probably more). Four nights a week all year would get him $187,000 in tips on top of his wage. Now, these jobs are hard to get and don't turn over, but you can make top dollar. Most of their waiters are there for 30 years.

Quick Reply: Carreer choice?