Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Carmageddon

Old 12-02-2008, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carmageddon

America Speaks!
Old 12-03-2008, 03:13 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That puts a different spin on things. We'll see if the politicians continue to follow the sentiments of their constituents.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The article downplays the amount of money GM has lost over several years, not just lately. I read a number like 70 billion! So all their "restructuring since 2000" was pissing in the wind, based on the bottom line. Why trust the bastards now?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Long read but a good read
Old 12-03-2008, 09:34 AM

The fact they haven't been able to make money during the good times is horrible.

So what? We give money to the big three and that makes everything dandy?

Um no, they will continue to lose market share. The very point of restructuring will drop market share all by itself.

The contry's situation is like an alcoholic's. You can either quit cold turkey or you ween yourself off. The point in the end is you STOP the addiction.

I watched live the first grilling session.

I love how GM has a 'new' low end estimate. It's ridiculous. They're estimate is too high by 2x.

Other countries make cars better, I would rather earmark the money toward another industry to create higher aptitude jobs bringing worth to the average American worker.

The American auto industry makes me sick.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:36 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Penforhire,Dec 3 2008, 02:00 PM
The article downplays the amount of money GM has lost over several years, not just lately. I read a number like 70 billion! So all their "restructuring since 2000" was pissing in the wind, based on the bottom line. Why trust the bastards now?
I don't know how you get to that conclusion. I pay particular attention to GM since I thought it was the worst of the three, and since 2000 GM has simplified its supply chains, bought out a ton of UAW costs, and created global manufacturing and global products. GM is still losing money because it bet on trucks when all signs pointed to cars, and I think Wagoner needs to go, but it is much better shape today than it was 8 years ago.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Dec 3 2008, 01:36 PM
I don't know how you get to that conclusion. I pay particular attention to GM since I thought it was the worst of the three, and since 2000 GM has simplified its supply chains, bought out a ton of UAW costs, and created global manufacturing and global products. GM is still losing money because it bet on trucks when all signs pointed to cars, and I think Wagoner needs to go, but it is much better shape today than it was 8 years ago.
Not just trucks but cars as well.

They're market share has continued to go down.

If apple went under would it not bring down a lot? If Intel went under, wouldn't it TOO affect almost EVERY industry and economy? And Microsoft?

The difference is that Intel and Apple have actualy saved money, know how to make a profit, and know how to run a business.

I still don't see Toyota or Honda going under.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:42 AM

It doesn't matter if GM has a list of 10000000 things that they did.

They're not profitable. They lose market share. There is really nothing else but that.

Is this what you'd invest in if you were buying stocks?
Old 12-03-2008, 09:46 AM

It finds appeals by offering fear to convince you to support the auto industry on that one point and rides it on.

There are other ways to saving the webbed industries connected to the American Auto industry. It just takes work, and that is something I am not willing to put in front of the American Auto worker. They're time is done.

Let a new breed of American Worker carry the torch now.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:01 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Bailing out the auto industry is a necessary evil, accept it. This time may be better, lutz saying he'll take a paycut to a dollar a year, no more corporate jets, UAW doing an emergency meeting today (I guess they now realize that they're in teh crosshairs, they're no longer the innocent workers union campaigning for rights, a lot of tax payers are pissed), etc.

Quick Reply: Carmageddon