Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

This car will bailout GM's money woes..

Old 12-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by honda606,Dec 22 2008, 10:07 AM
Learn how to read little zx-10.
I don't read incoherent bullshit very carefully...son

and you can call me little if you're > 6' and can bench more than 320

Old 12-22-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

what if hes under 6' and benches more than your mom?

wow your e-penis is hyuge, id love to even see proof that you can even bench that much
Old 12-22-2008, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wills2k106,Dec 21 2008, 10:30 AM
The Mustang saves weight by not having an IRS, and by having a smaller motor, which consequently makes significantly less power. The Challenger SRT8 is over 4000 and makes the same power.

And I think the OP was being a little sarcastic about a niche car saving GM, I could be wrong.
The LSx engines are significantly smaller than Ford's modular V8. Pushrod vs. SOHC or DOHC. Compare a Ford 4.6 or 5.4 with the DOHC to a GM 6 or even 7 liter. The GM is MUCH smaller.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:31 PM

^ Yeah I was wrong with the Mustang motor. I was thinking more along the lines of the older Windsor push rod small blocks, but those haven't been in the Mustang in quite some time. I forgot entirely that the modular Ford is SOHC or DOHC, depending on application, and in order to make comparable power to the LS series they need blowers thus making them even larger and heavier. The LS series all have extremely similar external dimensions because they are based on the same casting, there are some differences depending on application. The change in bore and stroke doesn't effect the external dimensions.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by wills2k106,Dec 22 2008, 08:31 PM
^ Yeah I was wrong with the Mustang motor. I was thinking more along the lines of the older Windsor push rod small blocks, but those haven't been in the Mustang in quite some time. I forgot entirely that the modular Ford is SOHC or DOHC, depending on application, and in order to make comparable power to the LS series they need blowers thus making them even larger and heavier. The LS series all have extremely similar external dimensions because they are based on the same casting, there are some differences depending on application. The change in bore and stroke doesn't effect the external dimensions.
Yeah, the last of the pushrod Mustangs was 1995.

Ford really shot themselves in the foot with the design of the modular V8's. Good, reliable engines (minus some occurrences of an idle air control valve getting dirty and choking it), but not one of the great performance engines. Even worse, the 5.4 was the same engine as the 4.6, but with a taller deck height. The extra displacement was ALL stroke 3.55" bore, 4.125" stroke (IIRC)
Old 12-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Banned

GM is in imminent need of a bailout to survive the next few weeks, and that's before the Camaro comes out. In order for any certain vehicle to save/help GM, it would have to sell a lot and each sale has to be PROFITABLE. Believe it or not, some sales are not profitable because huge discounts and incentives cut into the production costs. And in this economy, incentives are needed to get customers into the door.

GM needs the profitable and high-volume Camry, Accord, or Civic to help save them, not the low-volume Camaro.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Yellow_S,Dec 22 2008, 06:58 PM
GM is in imminent need to a bailout to survive the next few weeks, and that's before the Camaro comes out. In order for any certain vehicle to save/help GM, it would have to sell a lot and each sale has to be PROFITABLE. Believe it or not, some sales are not profitable because huge discounts and incentives cut into the production costs. And in this economy, incentives are needed to get customers into the door.

GM needs the profitable and high-volume Camry, Accord, or Civic to help save them, not the low-volume Camaro.
great post

I don't see a $18 billion loan (or whatever the latest number is) saving GM
Old 12-22-2008, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by 2007 Zx-10,Dec 22 2008, 10:06 PM
great post

I don't see a $18 billion loan (or whatever the latest number is) saving GM
I agree 100%. Take a look at the quarterly reports coming from Detroit during recent years. These guys burn through billions in just one quarter! This isn't going to spark some magic 180, it's just going to keep the life support machine running.

Remember: Chrysler was already bailed out some years ago. Here they are holding their hand out again.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Popeye,Dec 22 2008, 06:44 AM

So I guess this UAW worker is lying ?
not at all, the key to what i posted was about NEW hires, not people who have been working for awhile.

the information i recieved on the new workers that were being hired came straight from the Detroit Free Press in an article about current work situation at various plants. the idea is the only new people that were being hired at this point were making those (14-17) wages. workers with hired earnings based off skill were not being hired as they currently aren't needed.

truth of the matter is UAW workers are making about as much as their rivals. the main difference is the "legacy" costs and healthcare costs between the two. thats where the big three need to figure some things out....along with selling more cars people want and not having a guh-jillion car dealers with backed up inventories.

now we've all heard those crazy stories about UAW workers making tons of loot while bushing brooms or turning a wrench. i'm not going to call BS on all over those, but i will say i don't think that is the norm as much now-a-days. i think we all agree that things need to be looked into closely to make sure wasteful spending like that is eliminated, and after coming out of the army in July, i can tell you theres a ton of wasteful spending there. i'm sure we don't want to see our military go the ways of the Dodo bird either though.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:44 AM

This car stands zero chance of saving GM. They will file bankruptcy in March when their leash gets yanked by Hank.

Quick Reply: This car will bailout GM's money woes..