Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Why do you flip cars?
I get bored easily
22.22%
I have attention-deficit-disorder and shiny things catch my eye
6.25%
I'm never satisfied
11.11%
Must have the latest and greatest out there
4.17%
My financial status keeps improving
6.94%
Mommy buys me whatever I want
3.47%
Buyers remorse
2.08%
Stress relief / Hobby
20.83%
It's an illness
22.92%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Car Whores... What Drives You?

Old 09-09-2007, 06:43 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nine cars in the last 8 years and I haven't traded in over a year and a half. It's making me nuts. It's an illness. I'd have so much more money if I hadn't had +/- 200 cars in the last 25 years.
Old 09-09-2007, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Def. an illness - I would have to make a list
Old 09-09-2007, 09:42 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

I've only driven one car I've been fully satisfied with and only owned another that was a perfect fit for me at the time. The perfect DD for me is a Euro Type R Civic hatch but I can't get one here.

The disease comes from getting bored with your current car and wanting "more". The last car I had that wetted my noodle I kept for 150k miles. When it was time to get something new they didn't make it anymore and ever since I've been struggling to find something that really satisfies me. Another reason is that I've learned you can't throw everything you want into one car. I'm finally into the whole DD deal and I think it's the way to go. I've got a good DD right now but with fuel prices being so instable it might have to go in a year and I might be driving a diesel powered Accord.

I could solve this issue with more $ but unfortunately at the end of it $ is why I've gone through so many cars in the last 7 years. If I had enough $ I could take care of this shit and I wouldn't buy another car for 10 years.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Should add an option for "gets tiring after awhile of owning". It's what happens when I daily drive the S, too cramped.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:50 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since last year my wife and I have made some terrible decisions in autos that cost me quite a bit of loot. We needed a second car to pair with her 05 RL because my work was moving out of manhattan and into the burbs. So we went through an 06 LS430, 98 E36 M3, 07 MDX and right now an 07 Mazdaspeed3 which I'm looking to flip for either the Outback or FJ.

Bought the 06 LS430 @ a super deal (model end). Then after the birth of our it for a little girl in July, we realized that we needed something larger so we traded it in for the 07 MDX. Great car, and unfortunately I was run off the road and right smack into the middle of a center lane divider. I also realized that with my 100 mile commute every day, I was filling up a bit too often so I went to go look at the Legacy Wagon/Outback. Instead I had a massive brain fart and the boy racer in me picked up the Mazdaspeed3.

Oh, and the 98 M3 was an xmas gift from my wife
Old 09-09-2007, 11:32 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bkw,Sep 9 2007, 10:50 AM
Since last year my wife and I have made some terrible decisions in autos that cost me quite a bit of loot. We needed a second car to pair with her 05 RL because my work was moving out of manhattan and into the burbs. So we went through an 06 LS430, 98 E36 M3, 07 MDX and right now an 07 Mazdaspeed3 which I'm looking to flip for either the Outback or FJ.
The FJ was kind of fun, but very tiresome for a daily. I'd do the Subaru.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by SIIK2NR,Sep 9 2007, 12:27 AM
I just made the decision recently that I would not ever own more than 3 cars at one time. One of them is a daily beater (truck for hauling and home depot) One is for the wifey that we share on occasions that we are together. The other is mine exclusively.

For me.... it's about the experience of driving/owning different cars. Different car, different experience. Once I look BACK when I'm old and grey, I want to be able to recall on those experiences and know that I enjoyed every minute of them. I defer to my motto in life.. "you only life ONCE"

Tim
Couldn't have said it better myself
Old 09-09-2007, 11:47 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have owned 10 cars in the last 10 years.

Probably some of all the above. I voted "I'm never satisfied"

I have found it's easy to give into the temptation to get a slightly better car such as when I went from the Oddy to the Sienna. But at the end of the day they were both the same car, the Sienna had more features (AWD, Nav, 6-disc, stability control, power tailgate etc..) but it was a big load of money. I had the Oddy for 3 years and the Sienna for 4 years I could have been driving the Oddy this whole time for 7+ years and would have been way ahead on money.

Similar, I traded a Passat for a Legacy, the Passat needed some work but otherwise they fill the same nitch, if I had fixed up the Passat it would have been cheaper than two payments on the Legacy.

Just traded the Trooper for the MDX and cost me a lot for the upgrade.

On the rational side of the question it would be better to keep the cars but on the emotional side it's nice to have newer cars every so often.

I am going to keep the S2000 as long as I can. If I traded for a Cayman or Vette it would be a nicer and newer car but cost 3x what I can get for the S2000 so I am just holding back as long as I can.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:38 PM

you know how they say that behind every beautiful woman, there is some guy that is tired of banging her?
That's how I feel about cars. It just doesn't matter how awesome your car is, there is always a newer model out there that you want a piece of...hell, sometimes they aren't even better than what you're currently driving...just different.
Fortunately, the penalty for swapping cars often is purely financial...
Old 09-09-2007, 03:46 PM

I'm 34 and there are the cars I've had since 16

toyota pick up
integ GS r
Supra MKIV
Acura TL
Mercedes C32
S2000
RX330
IS300
S4
ES350
LS430
330i ZHP
S Type R
IS350
GS350

My best friend, who is in a similar financial situation, has had one 2 cars since 16 and he is my age. He drives them until they can't be driven no more.

Sam

Quick Reply: Car Whores... What Drives You?