Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: What to get (based on requirements below)?
07+ RDX
30.77%
07+ CRV
23.08%
Late model Pilot
0%
Late model Highlander
7.69%
??? Gen Forester/Outback/Tribeca <-- please specify here in response
0%
Boring Sedan Brigade
15.38%
Other
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Car Suggestion - Company Car

Old 09-28-2015, 06:44 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Impreza.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've included Ford as well. AWD is now a requirement, and the only models I'm considering from Ford as the Fusion AWD. Found some decent looking ones online but haven't seen any in person yet. How is the Fusion? Negatory on the Buick, boss says they are too large and the ones that fit in our price range would be pretty tired.

RDX is definitely out as well, I saw 3 examples that fit the bill on paper but all have turned out to be seriously mis-advertised. And yes MPG seems to be way below the mark, I kind of thought a turbo k24 should be able to hit 30+ highway MPG but I'm seeing people say mid 20's is the best they've seen.

May have to give some flexibility in the mpg dept anyhow as most AWD cars are going to be below 30mpg it seems - have checked out the 4cyl non-turbo Impreza's, Outbacks, Foresters and Legacys, even the Suzuki SX4. All in the 20's.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to vote boring sedan brigade, because..company car, budget, and requirements. AWD is indeed nice in snow and ice for sure, especially with snow tires for winter.

Spotted a 2010 Subaru Legacy with 140,000 miles for $7,500 on craigslist in/near the midwest (if Chicaco is considered midwest?).

That leads me to think a 2010 with, say, ~80,000 miles might be had for as low as $11,000-$12,000.

If you need more cargo space though, something like an Outback, Forester, or CRV seems to be a better option.

Don't spend *too* much time though agonizing over a budget friendly company car that doesn't require an image or badge, just get whatever will fit the bill and needs. Worry more about the business and making those $ so that you can afford to play more at home on your fun time.

http://chicago.craig...5240267827.html
Old 10-01-2015, 08:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you need to transport any equipment to/from client? If so, go with an SUV for easy load/unload. If not, stick with sedan for better mileage and handling

Do you need to transport clients in the car? If so, go for the full size sedans/SUV for the leg room - Taurus, Magnum, Avalon/Explorer, Durango, etc. If not, go for small/mid size sedan/SUV for efficiency. Four cylinder motors are no deal breakers here in a small/mid sedan. My 150 hp Civic hums along quietly at 75 mph with no sweat. The dodge Darts and the Mazda 3 come with 185hp engine options, and standard in the Accord. Plus you can get into the more premium offerings (Buick Verano, Acura TSX/ILX) without breaking the bank. I dislike the 4 cyl SUVs because the motors are underpowered for the application and the transmissions constantly shift to stay in the power band which is very annoying and bad for economy. Stick with the v6 in the SUVs - CRV, Rav4 are out with no v6 option any longer. Think along the lines of Ford Escape/Edge with the v6 option.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by EricJT7
I'm going to vote boring sedan brigade, because..company car, budget, and requirements. AWD is indeed nice in snow and ice for sure, especially with snow tires for winter.

Spotted a 2010 Subaru Legacy with 140,000 miles for $7,500 on craigslist in/near the midwest (if Chicaco is considered midwest?).

That leads me to think a 2010 with, say, ~80,000 miles might be had for as low as $11,000-$12,000.

If you need more cargo space though, something like an Outback, Forester, or CRV seems to be a better option.

Don't spend *too* much time though agonizing over a budget friendly company car that doesn't require an image or badge, just get whatever will fit the bill and needs. Worry more about the business and making those $ so that you can afford to play more at home on your fun time.

http://chicago.craig...5240267827.html
Yup good call, I did turn up a few Legacy's. Going to check out one locally this afternoon. Looks like the ones that are available with the luxury bits (heated seats, leather, BT) are outside my price range but if we're going basic, these fit the bill well. The one I'm seeing is an 09 - what am I wathcing out for aside from the obvious?

Billios:
No equipment but we'll be shuffling around clients every once in a while. These are typically going to be Accord or F150 types of people though so I'm not too worried about appearance. I checked out an Edge two days ago as I spotted one on the lot and thought it looked good. I think it was a 2008, had leather but for some reason road noise was waaaay much more than I expected, and the leather was that hard/flat/stiff type that feels cheap. Overall felt I could get more value for the $11k they were asking.

Thoughts on Acura RL?

Edit: Legacy is no good. Balding all seasons, what looked to be some bodywork done even though carfax was clean, interior was dirty ivory cloth.

Checked out this 2006 RL though. Has 79,000 miles and has the Tech Package. Of all cars I've driven so far, this one is the closest to being acceptable. Could really use some input from those who know though.
1. Touch sensor on the front passenger door handle not working, so the "touch unlock" feature doesn't work.
2. Cuts/tears in the leather seating surfaces. All four seats have them, looks like they split at the seams.
3. Hail damage on the roof. Its not severe, but just noticed today under the sunlight.
4. Bubbling of leather on the glovebox
5. Weird warping of the front bumper.
6. Carfax is clean, but more importantly we had it up in the air on a lift. Its a Milwaukee car but very little rust on the bottom. Bushings are in good shape, shocks are not leaking, brakes just got resurfaced and new pads. Oil was changed, brand new battery, and newish runflats. As far as I can tell though, diff and tranny fluids have not been changed. Most seem to agree that the timing belt and water pump will last to 105k. No open recalls.
7. Checked for what seems to be a common issue with the AFS (some headlight tech that swivels the headlights when turning), this car doesn't have that issue.

Dealer wants $12,700 for it. I want them to knock off $1200 for the leather repairs (4 panels @ $300 each) and $500 for the door handle, and they won't budge. What does S2K think?
Old 10-10-2015, 12:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

The RL is a solid car. But I think you can find one without those defects for similar price if you look a little more, or can settle on more mileage. buddy of mine bought one with over 100k for 11k i think. Runs without any issues at all
Old 10-11-2015, 05:30 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

I'd stay away from that RL; there's some many options that is you want you car running at 90% or better it could start getting costly. I would rather spend that same cash on a nicer Accord.

Want an RL? Buy one from SW USA and ship it...
Old 10-11-2015, 03:57 PM

When buying a car from a dealer I'd expect it to be in near perfect condition especially if I am paying top dollar + fees. I think you can find a nicer RL through a private party
Old 10-13-2015, 10:48 AM

Passed on the RL. Someone apparently did buy it, feel sorry for that person. Private sellers who have RL's seem to think they have a future collectible or something!

I've narrowed it down to a 2005-gen Legacy Wagon/Outback/Forester Limited. These are apparently the only cars that will fit my criteria without being total shitboxes. The impending winter season is probably not helping.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:01 PM

Updated original post - did end up picking up an RL. Out of budget, but too good to pass up.

Quick Reply: Car Suggestion - Company Car