Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: What to get (based on requirements below)?
07+ RDX
30.77%
07+ CRV
23.08%
Late model Pilot
0%
Late model Highlander
7.69%
??? Gen Forester/Outback/Tribeca <-- please specify here in response
0%
Boring Sedan Brigade
15.38%
Other
23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Car Suggestion - Company Car

Old 09-26-2015, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Suggestion - Company Car

Update: Picked up an 07 RL for $15,000 out the door.
Tech Package
58,000 miles w/ clean title and two owners

So broke many requirements, but still pretty happy with this. Amazing how prices have dropped on these.

Requirements:
1. Examples can be easily found for under $11,000, and with under 100k miles.
2. Interstate cruiser: no droning/high-revving I4's, nothing too light or tall susceptible to cross-winds. This will spend a lot of time on the interstates.
3. Gas mileage: looking to get 30+ on the highway. At the very least, no V8's.
4. At least 4 seats, should be able to seat 5 in a pinch
5. Reliable: I can't afford to have it in the shop or waiting for parts once a month. So used Germans are out of the question.
6. No hybrids. I'm just very skeptical of any generation hybrid I find in this price range (Insight, Highlander, Camry, Civic).
7. Auto

Preferable:
1. AWD for midwest winters. We will end up getting snow tires anyhow.
2. Since niceties like seat heaters, maybe steering wheel heater if folks can think of any in that price range.
3. Automated manual

Not important:
1. Seating surfaces: fine with either cloth or leather
2. "Image": Customers will not care what we pull up in, as long as its not some clapped out Sentra or similar. Not looking for a badge, but
3. Performance: I imagine I'm going to end up with a decent V6 or a turbo 4 given the requirements, but this car will spend zero time being driven enthusiastically, short of highway on-ramps.
4. Cargo space: more than likely will not be carrying anything other than people, and whatever we end up with will have a trunk so that will be sufficient.

From my research, this leaves a pretty wide range of possibilities still, especially if AWD is not a requirement. IMO it HAS to have AWD then things get very limited all of a sudden. Here's what I've come up with:
07+ RDX: I've found an 08 with 90k miles for $11,500. Seems legit, and private seller. Going to see it this weekend. Gas mileage worries me though...
07+ CRV: Will likely end up snagging one of these if the RDX falls through.
Late model Pilot: Bigger and heavier than necessary, but fits the rest of the bill well. Selection is iffy around here (Chicago suburbs).
Late model Highlander: Would love to find a V6 AWD Limited, but none I can see. Haven't found a single one even close to requirements though.
??? Gen Forester/Outback/Tribeca: I feel like there is a good fit for me somewhere in these cars, but I know next to nothing about them (eg. which generations are good, which to avoid, etc). I just see them pop up here and there with my Craigslist searches, but I haven't taken a deep dive into them yet. I recall the turbo4's in the LGT not being reliable at higher mileage.
And of course the Boring Sedan Brigade (Accord/Camry/Fusion/Mazda6/Altima): Might this in fact be the best choice? Its certainly the safest, and options are plentiful. Will I miss the AWD of the above? I've driven FWD/RWD in the snow with dedicated snow tires and been fine, but I always think back to when I had the Evo w/ Blizzaks and it felt and was significantly more controlled. I liked that feeling.

As mentioned, going car shopping this coming weekend and I want to line up some cars. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-26-2015, 05:15 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,235 Likes on 1,079 Posts

VW TDI.

-- Chuck
Old 09-26-2015, 05:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

V50 awd or an 07-09 2.5t awd s60

It is damn hard to beat an s60 for highway cruising and ticks about every other box. Seats are great, heated seats are a common option, mpg very near 30 highway, in your price range, tick off the miles smoothly, large gas tank, quiet(esp with laminated side windows), awd an option, safe, etc etc etc. The turbo 5 is at the pinnacle of its existence in 07 or so, after ~15 years of constant improvements. Relatively low tech mechanically speaking, no direct injection carbon drama, but it does have a timing belt that would be due at 105k miles. I have an 03 that I've owned since 07 and it's been a great car. The newer ones are more refined and a bit more bullet proof.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by impulse21
V50 awd or an 07-09 2.5t awd s60

It is damn hard to beat an s60 for highway cruising and ticks about every other box. Seats are great, heated seats are a common option, mpg very near 30 highway, in your price range, tick off the miles smoothly, large gas tank, quiet(esp with laminated side windows), awd an option, safe, etc etc etc. The turbo 5 is at the pinnacle of its existence in 07 or so, after ~15 years of constant improvements. Relatively low tech mechanically speaking, no direct injection carbon drama, but it does have a timing belt that would be due at 105k miles. I have an 03 that I've owned since 07 and it's been a great car. The newer ones are more refined and a bit more bullet proof.
...I did not know they made V50's in manual with the AWD. But I just found one, an 05. Will be checking this out FOR SURE, just out of curiosity though. Thanks!
Old 09-26-2015, 11:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy the nicest Accord EX or EX-L you can afford on your budget.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:20 PM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

I don't think the RDX will get the gas mileage you're looking for.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:40 PM

Yeah on second thought and after further research, I don't think so either. Its just crazy how this RDX is the same price as current-gen used CRV's with the same miles.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:38 PM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

How about something from Buick or Ford?
Old 09-27-2015, 05:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CRV is rated at 26-27 MPG highway. Intake might help boost the MPGs slightly.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:00 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

For crossover kind of car; Buick Enclave is a good value. Kind of light on the looks though...

Quick Reply: Car Suggestion - Company Car