Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Car parts site?

Old 05-20-2015, 03:38 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 355 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by AllZaN
I see.
What other issues for example?
I'm just trying to figure out where would I have the best luck finding most options.
I would love to see someone build a site so I could just go on there and select for example 18*10/offset and see all the different options.
Wouldn't that be so convenient?
The number of issues you would have is long. Just a few of the big ones.

Scalability. This is usually the number one issue with a site of this kind. As I mentioned there is thousands if not hundreds of thousands of sites for this for every kind of car. So just capturing all that data and presenting it in one site that is usable is a huge challenge.

How do you insure there are just a bunch of old posts with parts that are no longer for sale. Its not just the amount of data but the freshness of it.

The data not only has to pull in this info but you have to be able to search by your make and model or by other search parameters so the site would have to gather said data and be able to accurately direct you to the parts you would want.

Now say I have found something I want how do I contact the person? Often people do not put direct contact info. For instance on here many people say to PM them. Would your user then have to make an account on here and message the seller? Further forums don't always operate in the same way as each other. Different rules of when someone can post and where when they are new.

Liability. Someone gets scammed. How is that handled? How do you police the postings?

These were just off the top of my head. There is many more challenges this type of thing would face.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP wants to enter his vehicle info and find all used parts that would fit similar to how pepboys.com or tirerack.com will show you all the tires available for your specific vehicle. Even those sites don't show you "all" the tires available. Could this work with used parts? yes....maybe someday...it would be nice!!
Old 05-20-2015, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP wants to enter his vehicle info and find all used parts that would fit similar to how pepboys.com or tirerack.com will show you all the tires available for your specific vehicle. Even those sites don't show you "all" the tires available. Could this work with used parts? yes....maybe someday...it would be nice!!
Old 05-20-2015, 04:28 PM

Received 207 Likes on 108 Posts

Ah. So input from a much broader audience would be helpful in this discussion. Cool.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Originally Posted by AllZaN' timestamp='1432159921' post='23619735
I see.
What other issues for example?
I'm just trying to figure out where would I have the best luck finding most options.
I would love to see someone build a site so I could just go on there and select for example 18*10/offset and see all the different options.
Wouldn't that be so convenient?
The number of issues you would have is long. Just a few of the big ones.

Scalability. This is usually the number one issue with a site of this kind. As I mentioned there is thousands if not hundreds of thousands of sites for this for every kind of car. So just capturing all that data and presenting it in one site that is usable is a huge challenge.

How do you insure there are just a bunch of old posts with parts that are no longer for sale. Its not just the amount of data but the freshness of it.

The data not only has to pull in this info but you have to be able to search by your make and model or by other search parameters so the site would have to gather said data and be able to accurately direct you to the parts you would want.

Now say I have found something I want how do I contact the person? Often people do not put direct contact info. For instance on here many people say to PM them. Would your user then have to make an account on here and message the seller? Further forums don't always operate in the same way as each other. Different rules of when someone can post and where when they are new.

Liability. Someone gets scammed. How is that handled? How do you police the postings?

These were just off the top of my head. There is many more challenges this type of thing would face.
Ah, thank you for you input.
How about eBay?
Why aren't there many people willing to use eBay to sell their wheels? (Or are there? I'm not sure.)
So that it's not a gathering of data, but it's like people posting their items for sell straight on there, and when it's sold it closes.
That way there are less old data issues to deal with, and no need to find all the different sites.
It would indeed be a lot of trouble pulling data from all over the place and processing it to be used.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by civdaddy
Yes in a way.
Input vehicle info, or wheel spec, or some other specific constraint.
Wouldn't that be convenient?
Old 05-20-2015, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Ah. So input from a much broader audience would be helpful in this discussion. Cool.
Yes!
wasn't sure where to post this.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

It won't happen unfortunately. Someone would have to spend a ton of money to make that site and advertise it etc and it would still take years to get a decent amount of parts on there. Best to just check out different forums wheels/tires sections. Ebay charges big fee's, especially when you are not a business on there, so people will either have to ask for more or be ok losing a lot of money on the sale to ebay fee's etc.