Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Are Car magazines obsolete/outdated?

Old 01-25-2007, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Car magazines obsolete/outdated?

Where do you get your car info/fix? I used to read my C&D and Automobile cover to cover. Now we have so many online car sites that the info I get in C&D is somewhat old. The comparisons are informative with all the specs, and data but edmunds does it too. Their Auto shows pics are a month old since you can get daily pics from all the shows.

Recently I signed up for http://www.windingroad.com/ Its a free on line car magazine supported by members and its editor is David E. Davis. The reviews are pretty good.

Then there is Autoweek, Edmunds, and don't forget s2ki.com.

So where do you get your car fix?
Old 01-25-2007, 05:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I get Autoweek, Car an Driver, Motor Trend and Road and Track each month. I find them informative still.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:59 PM

i hate taking my laptop to the crapper....so no
Old 01-25-2007, 06:19 PM

I loove car magazines.. they'll never be obsolete. IMO. I trust Car and Driver more than Motortrend though(i buy them both)
Old 01-25-2007, 07:01 PM

I am a long time subscriber to Road&Track and am yet to be disappointed. I like having the comparisons in front of me, with the ability to take it whever I need to go easily (as previously mentioned). Also, there's more to car magazines than the stats - I too know many of the stats before reading the R&T articles, but the articles themselves are much higher quality than online publications I've found. Well worth the money, if yo ask me.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:50 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I'm down to just CandD for actual rags - the tests being run are getting so odd and disparate its hard to subscribe anymore. When they run a comparison of a set of criteria, I'm seeing bigger and bigger holes in the line ups and the logic behind why some cars win escapes me.

These days, Autoweek online for the news is my best bet. R&T is okay, MotorTrend is horrible and barely a step above Consumer Reports, and Automobile is pompous imo. CandD at least still has decent comparos, but the staff is not aging gracefully and its showing in their reviews and writing.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:55 PM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

I do like Motor Trend Classic - although its recycled material, at least its interesting.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with OP, the mags are old news compared to edmunds.com

winding road started out great since they claimed to value the fun of driving more valuable than anything else, but then they go and rank the s2k lower than a bunch of cars, including the mini cooper. no longer respect them.

plus, i can't believe that autoweek puts out an issue once a week. feels like a waste of paper and postage
Old 01-26-2007, 04:03 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I like C&D the best, but they are a shadow of their former self. I mean they will do a full road test and it will be like 3-4 pages with one page of stats (which is fine) but the other 2-3 pages is 70 pictures so you're lucky to get one full page of text, and part of that is fluff like talking about the war in Iraq or persidents from Ohio (crap).

Some of the comparos will have like 1/3 of a page of test, maybe 2-3 paragraphs which is nowhere enough,

MT is crap, I just get it b/c its cheap and once in a while they will have a scoop that I like to read about such as the 600hp Viper.

R&T is OK not as good as previous.

CAR is the best, but they don't test much and are better just for description and great pics. I'd love to subscribe to CAR but each issue costs about one year of MT. So I just pick up 2 -3 times a year.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:25 AM

Of the general magazines, I prefer R&T and C&D. MT and Automobile rank lower and aren't worth it in my opinion. I've subscribed to all of them at one time or another. I like to read myself to sleep every night and these make great bedtime reading because they don't require me to think too much.

After my Automobile subscription expired, I did not renew by ignoring their renewal notices. They sent me a threatening notice that if I didn't pay, they would send it off to a collection agency. I threw together a profanity filled response and told them where to stick it. I used about every naughty word there is. That's one magazine I wouldn't read if it was free.

For a car club magazine, Roundel is pretty decent. I like Total 911 but it's expensive.

R&T keeps sending me subscription extensions for $5/year. How can you like cars and not do that. I'm subscribed up to about 2017 now. Peter Egan alone is worth the subscription price of R&T. My C&D subscription is $8/year. I spend more than that on 1 meal in a restaurant.

As for reviews, I read them with an open mind. I interpret them like I would a carfax report. Not the gospel but worth a look. Besides, it helps to put me to sleep at night.

No, I don't think the magazines are outdated yet. Subscriptions are so cheap that it's worthwhile to keep getting them.

Quick Reply: Are Car magazines obsolete/outdated?