Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Car financing.......

Old 09-15-2008, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know when I bought my last car, they didn't ask for any proof of income. I didn't lie about it, but I easily could have said I made more than I do.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

One thing I just realized, if he is 68 and only making money off an occasional commission he is probably getting some SS.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:06 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1,Sep 15 2008, 11:14 AM
I know its impossible to completely know someone, but I tend to be a good judge of character and the guy is the likable sad sack type, but not a liar.
So, you're saying he's not a liar and is likable, but he just bought a new car that, from all indications, he has no ability or desire to make payments on? So, how is it that you're a good judge of character again?
Old 09-15-2008, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just hope I'm not in that situation at that age. You never know how life might **** you.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Sep 15 2008, 02:06 PM
So, you're saying he's not a liar and is likable, but he just bought a new car that, from all indications, he has no ability or desire to make payments on? So, how is it that you're a good judge of character again?
I never said he had no desire to make car payments, just probably no ability.

I think your post was tongue in cheek, but if you met the guy he just tries so hard to get people to like him. He really has some pretty low self image. I think its just a desperate attempt to not look like a loser to his peers. But pathetic in what he is probably doing to himself long term.

But seriously if you pull in say just a guess $1500 a month in SS and you still have living expenses, I don't know how you roll out of a dealer with a rusty beater in trade for near $30k car.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Jimmies,Sep 15 2008, 02:18 PM
I just hope I'm not in that situation at that age. You never know how life might **** you.
You'd better save, social security will be gone before you get there.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:26 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Vader, it was a bit tongue in cheek. If he wanted to impress his peers, he should have rented a nice sports car for the reunion. Taking on debt that you can't afford to pay back is the reason our economy sucks ass right now.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:42 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1,Sep 15 2008, 12:24 PM
I never said he had no desire to make car payments, just probably no ability.
no ability and he knows it, hence... no desire...
Old 09-15-2008, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by vader1,Sep 15 2008, 10:29 AM
My dad has a friend who has not done that well for many years. He got all depressed because he has had no work, his wife is a serious beyotch and he has no money. I met the guy on one of these trips my dad organizes to go see Notre Dame football games. (yeah they suck, I know) So my dad tells me he had lunch with this guy and he just drove up in a new Sky turbo.

Anyway, the guy has a 50th high school reunion coming up. He wants to go and not feel like a loser so he goes to a Saturn dealer thinking there is no way he will get financing and bingo they give him a new Sky redline and out the door he goes. He told my dad he that he did not lie about anything, they asked him if he had any income and he works as a salesperson for a medical insurance company but draws no salary. The company felt sorry for him so they gave him a job that is commission only and he has not sold anything in several months. He has done this for the last year and a half and made virtually nothing. They supposedly live off his wife's small income and she refused to sign onto the loan. Not sure of his credit rating, it can't be great.

I don't know if this was a bank or if it was GM financing but I am stumped.

Are car makers so desperate they will give a car to someone who says "I have no income?"

Do you think the dealer fudged stuff at the expense of GM just to move a car?

Or are struggling banks still handing cash to people with no ability to pay.

My dad feels sorry for the guy and said "Oh just let him have his brief moment of glory before they reposses it." But I don't know how that makes a depressed guy feel better when they come take his new car and he traded in the rust bucket he used as his means of work transportation. I don't get people.
Ever heard of the subprime housing crisis? Switch car with house and GM with Countrywide and it's the same story.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:18 PM

Uhh, he's married. His debt is her debt, doesn't matter if the wife signs off or not if he lives in a community property state.

Well, never mind. Assuming he lives in Minnesota then that's not it.

Quick Reply: Car financing.......