Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Car and Driver Announces Corvette Zora

Old 09-11-2014, 07:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
The difference between this and the NSX/S2000 is that Honda put out actual concepts of those cars and they were seen testing. This is purely a rumour with no concept shown by GM nor any testing of vehicles to show they're serious.

I believe this is pure conjecture but the bottom line is, they have no proof or hint from GM about this (at least that we know of). It could be fabricated or it could be that they can't reveal their source and so they have to present it as a strong rumour (or anonymously verified fact).
Exactly. I would hazard a guess that GM really hasn't even given this much thought, they kind of have their hands full with the millions of recalled cars ATM...

Also, the Z06 isn't even out and we think there will be a completely new ZR1 just 2 model years from now (2017?). Come on, even if it did come out, it would likely be a 2020 model or something like that, but that's not going to sell any magazines...
Old 09-11-2014, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I think the recall and future R&D have very little to do with one another. Different engineering groups and non-engineering groups are likely handling each project. That doesn't mean I believe the Corvette rumors, just I don't think that if GM is working on this (and they might be) that it will get shelved due to lack of resources related to the recall. The one exception being if the cost of the recall removed money that otherwise would have gone into this car.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:31 AM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by arsenal' timestamp='1410379248' post='23325161
evo magazine > all
For rumors or quality?

That's a UK based publication right? I hate to have to go overseas for my car news (since they get things we don't and vice versa) but I already do for my car tele programming so...
Quality. Pick up an issue, it's $10.99 but well worth it.
Old 09-11-2014, 08:02 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville
Actually I think the recall and future R&D have very little to do with one another. Different engineering groups and non-engineering groups are likely handling each project. That doesn't mean I believe the Corvette rumors, just I don't think that if GM is working on this (and they might be) that it will get shelved due to lack of resources related to the recall. The one exception being if the cost of the recall removed money that otherwise would have gone into this car.
Yeah, I just think that, the future of the Corvette hinged on the C7, and I think it has been a huge success. I don't think its time to start speculating on a new corvette already. I have no doubts that they are working on one though (what else would the engineers be doing???) but I am sure there designs are completely open at this point.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:21 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
The difference is I don't give a crap

You're part of the problem, then. Some of us don't like being blatantly lied to in the interest of media competition.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Rendering is horrible. However, maybe GM is going to do a Ford GT type halo super/hyper car for $200k. They have a lot of the parts already to make it happen, especially if they can modify the chassis architecture pretty easily. Other than that, a few engineering tweaks for cooling and airflow and it's party time.

That said, I think a much more likely car is a 750+hp C7 ZR1 with a derivative of the twin turbo V8 that is coming out with a few halo Cadillac cars.

I agree with all of this.
Old 09-11-2014, 12:31 PM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Come on, don't you know the rule? Over at C&D, each monthly cover is required to be either a Corvette or a 911.

(only half kidding. In the last year, one of those has owned almost every cover)
Old 09-11-2014, 12:42 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I'll believe it when I see even a "new" NSX on the road. Christ, the NSX is ready for a re-design before it's even been produced. How many years has it been since we knew it was coming?

Personally, I'd love to see a mid engine GM. Sorry I missed the boat on the Ford GT. I sat in one. Almost wrote a check as they were discounting from MSRP. It just changed hands again for more than twice what I was going to get it for...
Old 09-11-2014, 12:45 PM

I don't think it has been very long that we've known about the new NSX design. Someone made the same claim in another thread and it was shown that the newest NSX prototype is a relatively recent happening.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:48 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

That was me (discussing the new NSX release date) - first concept was shown at the North American International Auto Show in January 2012, which means it's been a little over 2.5 years from concept to now. The car will be shown in production form at the same show in January 2015, which means it had a 3 year design cycle (very quick for the segment) with first supply in the fall of 2015.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Announces Corvette Zora