Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Car and Driver Announces Corvette Zora

Old 09-10-2014, 11:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Car and Driver Announces Corvette Zora

Just kill me now with these rumors. If you ask me, C&D has gone off the deep end. What a horrible rendering to put on a magazine cover. It looks like an extremely malformed C7 rendered using 80's technology. First of all, why the hell would GM put out a new Corvette after just 3 model years? Secondly, is this really the most interesting thing they can come up with? I seriously hope this is just a huge joke.

http://jalopnik.com/heres-chevys-pla...zor-1633072245
Old 09-10-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Rendering is horrible. However, maybe GM is going to do a Ford GT type halo super/hyper car for $200k. They have a lot of the parts already to make it happen, especially if they can modify the chassis architecture pretty easily. Other than that, a few engineering tweaks for cooling and airflow and it's party time.

That said, I think a much more likely car is a 750+hp C7 ZR1 with a derivative of the twin turbo V8 that is coming out with a few halo Cadillac cars.
Old 09-10-2014, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Rendering is horrible. However, maybe GM is going to do a Ford GT type halo super/hyper car for $200k. They have a lot of the parts already to make it happen, especially if they can modify the chassis architecture pretty easily. Other than that, a few engineering tweaks for cooling and airflow and it's party time.

That said, I think a much more likely car is a 750+hp C7 ZR1 with a derivative of the twin turbo V8 that is coming out with a few halo Cadillac cars.

Anything is possible, but lately it has been a pissing contest of who will print the most outrageous rumors, this one takes the cake (despite being a rumor that dates back to the c2). I know what you are thinking, "but what if its true?" Don't even care, tired of articles that make no effort to bring validity to their claims.

Needs a huge disclaimer "This entire article is a work of fiction dreamed up by C&D staff because we are having trouble getting people to buy our magazine".
Old 09-10-2014, 12:00 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

evo magazine > all
Old 09-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,876 Likes on 2,085 Posts

What's the difference between them doing that and all the previous S2000, NSX, etc renderings over the years?
Old 09-10-2014, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by arsenal
evo magazine > all
For rumors or quality?

That's a UK based publication right? I hate to have to go overseas for my car news (since they get things we don't and vice versa) but I already do for my car tele programming so...
Old 09-10-2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by sam_spider
What's the difference between them doing that and all the previous S2000, NSX, etc renderings over the years?
What is the difference? You tell me. Have any of those landed on the cover of a a major motoring magazine? Also, those rumors make more sense given the time frame for those cars being out of production. The C7 is less than a year old and we are already doing this? It just bugs me that they aren't even trying to pretend it's a legit rumor and yet, it made the front cover!

I would cancel my subscription but I already did!

Good journalism: Catching an unreleased car in the wild and publishing sketches of it way before anyone else (2011!). http://jalopnik.com/5858683/exclusiv...chevy-corvette

Bad journalism: Just completely making sh1t up in the hopes that people will buy your magazines.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:14 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by sam_spider' timestamp='1410379590' post='23325172
What is the difference? You tell me. Have any of those landed on the cover of a a major motoring magazine? Also, those rumors make more sense given the time frame for those cars being out of production. The C7 is less than a year old and we are already doing this? It just bugs me that they aren't even trying to pretend it's a legit rumor and yet, it made the front cover!

I would cancel my subscription but I already did!
The difference is I don't give a crap, and yes they have landed on the cover, the NSX definitely has, plus many more.

Or are you more angry as it's a Corvette they've done this with since you own one? I'm curious as I don't see what the fuss is about.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by sam_spider
The difference is I don't give a crap, and yes they have landed on the cover, the NSX definitely has, plus many more.

Or are you more angry as it's a Corvette they've done this with since you own one? I'm curious as I don't see what the fuss is about.
Hmm, I would be interested to go back and see if that's true. I mean, the NSX isn't a completely unfounded rumor is it? Maybe it is, but its one perpetrated by Honda. That gives it credibility IMO.

Who said I was angry? I am just passionate. Can C&D really not find anything to write about? What happened to the lightening lap? That used to be a popular edition and it seems to have taken a back seat to the rumor mill. In case you aren't getting it, I am fed up with the whole automotive rumor mill in general. Actual new cars are released and no one cares but wild fantasy rumors get front page cover. Gimmie a break!

I am actually kind of embarrassed for them (and GM in small part) because it is such a bad looking concept and worse, a poorly rendered bad looking concept. Does owning a Corvette make me more interested in articles about corvettes? Yes, but I think this is just the tipping point for me. I think the reason it bugs me is that what people remember the most are the rumors. It's like a misprint in a newspaper. The misprint, in giant font, is front page but the correction is buried deep inside in the smallest print available.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:27 PM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by sam_spider' timestamp='1410380065' post='23325191

Hmm, I would be interested to go back and see if that's true. I mean, the NSX isn't a completely unfounded rumor is it? Maybe it is one perpetrated by Honda.

Who said I was angry? Not angry exactly, I am just passionate. Can C&D really not find anything to write about? What happened to the lightening lap? That used to be a popular edition and it seems to have taken a back seat to the rumor mill. In case you aren't getting it, I am fed up with the whole automotive rumor mill in general. Actual new cars are released and no one cares but wild fantasy rumors get front page cover. Gimmie a break!
It might not be, but I could've sworn the NSX concept graced a few covers.

Unfortunately, the car mags are going to have to do whatever they can to sell magazines, or they won't survive in print form. I used to subscribe to 3 of them, but gave up years ago as they just got too ad heavy.

I wouldn't let it bother you, though I do agree that printing stories like this is pretty stupid. It's got to be somewhat tough for these guys now though, how exciting can it be to write about all the new SUV's coming out? There isn't a lot of cars worthy of being in magazines nowadays.

EDIT: and FTR, they aren't the only ones reporting it (granted the others haven't put it on their covers) and GM did indeed trademark 'Zora' recently. They may be some truth to it.

Quick Reply: Car and Driver Announces Corvette Zora