Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Car color

Old 10-10-2007, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always thought that 911s were one of the very few cars that look great in any color, so really you can't lose.

Resale is one thing to consider; boring colors are typically easier to move since you don't know who the future buyer will be.

I don't personally buy it, but there are certainly a lot of people who will think you think you're badass if you have a flashy color like yellow. People seem to interpret flashy colors as being starved for attention....which I think is BS, but its the truth.

If I'm you, I'd go with whatever the hell I wanted & forget what people think.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

color doesn't mean a damn thing to me, I get what I think looks good.

As far as color determining driver personality its just a stereotype IMO.
I've seen some crazy color/paint jobs on cars that are driven by soccer moms, not to mention ferraris and other upscale exotics with hot colors that are driven timidly.

FWIW, I consider a color loud if its on a car that can't live up to it.
Like neon yellow on a geo metro. On a porsche anything goes more or less.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i honestly dont think it mean to much. i NEVER wanted a Berlina s2k, but i got a killer deal on it, so i told myself to deal with the black. i wanted a GPW, as every other honda ive owned was white.

i think you see a lot of silver german cars, because it seem that most of them look the best in more bland colors. some cars look good in brighter more vivid colors. i dont a guy wakes up one day and says that hes going to buy a yellow 911 cause hes upset with the size of his baget. you know?
Old 10-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by versionJDM,Oct 10 2007, 07:54 AM
i honestly dont think it mean to much. i NEVER wanted a Berlina s2k, but i got a killer deal on it, so i told myself to deal with the black. i wanted a GPW, as every other honda ive owned was white.

i think you see a lot of silver german cars, because it seem that most of them look the best in more bland colors. some cars look good in brighter more vivid colors. i dont a guy wakes up one day and says that hes going to buy a yellow 911 cause hes upset with the size of his baget. you know?
my baget is fine thank you.

The yellow s2000 came out a couple of months before I got my car and I thought the novelty would wear off for me so I went with silverstone.

I've been looking and have decided that I want a nice bright yellow 911, though as someone said, they look good in pretty much any color offered. I think I like being a little diffrent is my thing (I was going to get a black with red interior 01 s, but my wife wouldn't let me).

When I was looking at elises I was for sure going to get an orange one.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by s2000raj,Oct 9 2007, 04:44 PM
DOes a loud color mean
showoff?
low class?
In a word... no.

To me color is a very personal choice. I think darks are dramatic, and a pain in the butt to keep clean and hard to make look good over time. Light colors are not very dramatic, but easy to care for and hides the dirt well. The best though are bright colors, they are clearly dramatic, but offer the great feature of the light colors - easy to care for and hides the dirt well.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:24 AM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice yellow 911, FTW.

That'd be my choice if it was not a daily driver. They look sooooo good.

I think I'd get tired of the attention. Even if it doesn't "say" anything about you, more people will notice the vehicle and stare. That's my biggest reason not to get an Elise / Exige. I don't want all the attention, all the time.

For a daily driven 911, I'd probably get black.

For the S2000, I got silver because I didn't want to have to wash it every week.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

In my case my black wagon says "It all the dealer had and I did not want to wait for an order to come in."

I would have preferred white, silver or champagne which says "I can get by longer between car washes."
Old 10-10-2007, 09:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We don't need anymore justification of in what color an s2k we bought. I thought it's just been recently covered in a thread.

Just calm down and pick the color that you'd LOVE to be driving and that's it. I seriously don't think it's even worth it to let your decision be affected by other people's opinions. Who cares if it's bright as long as you are looking confident and be proud of what you own. Idiots who start judging other people by the color of their car are minority. I don't think in this case what other people think matter if you love the color and your wife is fine with it.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:21 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Pretty good point and the main point should be about what it does from the cockpit. I'm sure many people buy a car because they think it says something about them or it displays this or that but many enthusiasts buy a car for what it does.
Old 10-10-2007, 01:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like bright colors! I prefer white, yellow, and red for any of my cars. Silver is so boring to me and I promised myself I'd never buy a black car again. But guess what? My newest purchase was black...

Obviously color isn't my biggest concern when the right car rolls up with the qualities I desire.

Quick Reply: Car color