Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Car Choices for College Student?

Old 08-10-2005, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wait for the new civic to come out. can't get newer than that.

Old 08-10-2005, 01:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, if he wants to haul friends and not care about the sportiness, then I'd recommend a xB instead of a tC. The tC is a coupe, and the backseats are not that big. If the shape of the xB is too weird, then a simple 4 door Civic should be cheap enough, especially since the next gens are coming soon (one of the dealerships around my area is going to have one to test drive later this month).
Old 08-10-2005, 02:18 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

tC, xB, Civic, Mazda 3.

cfusionpm, isn't your car a special edition? Wasn't it more than 16.7K? Looks damned good BTW.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:19 PM

[QUOTE=Lice Locket,Aug 10 2005, 01:24 PM]well, if he wants to haul friends and not care about the sportiness, then I'd recommend a xB instead of a tC.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by bkw,Aug 10 2005, 11:15 AM
To be frank, I think the dude may be a bit queer..
well, gay guys like cute cars so scion tc it is.

not saying its a gay car but that for the money its the the most "cute as a button" with a dash of "cool little tuner young guy car" new car for sale.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by bkw,Aug 10 2005, 03:50 PM
Hows the reliability on the newer Mazdas? I see newer used 626's go for pennies, and a lot of them need motors or tranny work.

Mazda = Ford ?
56k on my wife's Mazda. Only issue so far was a CD player replaced under warranty. But I can't speak to the slushbox, I found me a woman that drives a stick.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:59 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honda Fit (only $12K, due out next spring)
Honda Civic Si (the new one)
Mazda 3
Scion tC
Old 08-11-2005, 05:58 AM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We went to a few dealerships in the area. First we went to the Scion/Toyota dealership to take a look at the TC. It really does seem like a nice car, and the moonroof is quite trick. The price is right, in fact it's perfect! $3k down, $275/mo. BUT, the little bastard kept nitpicking at every little thing.. the dials are too round, the seats feel a bit hard, there isnt enough headroom in the back, the trunk seems kinda small, it looks like a chick car, etc etc etc..

Went to Honda next and took a look at the Civic LX 4dr and the Accord DX VP. The civic is a nice little car, totally utilitarian, and with honda's clearance sale, it seemed to be a pretty good deal. $3k down, $225/mo. interior dimensions were lacking, but it did seem larger inside than I initially thought it would be. Yeah, he did not like this one either. We did find out that the 2006's will be here shortly, but unfortunately, he needs a car by next week so we cant wait.

As we walked into the showroom, he immediately walked to the S on display and sat inside.. initially, this made me feel warm and fuzzy inside, but after seeing him sit there and pretend to be rowing through the gears in my baby, I began to get annoyed. People like him should not be driving the S (non-enthusiasts who cannot drive manual and like the S only because it's top drops). Anyways, the next car to see was the Accord DX VP. The interior in this car is HUGE! It seems larger inside the Accord than our RL. Honda has really improved the velour of their cloth seats since my other Hondas, and the Silver/Black combo with the flat black body bits caught my eye. The car is pretty much barebones. I've never seen so many blank spots where switches are to go (sunroof, power mirror controls, cruise, etc), but it does have some nice power features that the civic did not. Visually, the car is quite ugly.

Yeah, he did not like any of the Hondas either. Initial gripes were that everybody drives a civic or accord, the accord is ugly, there are way too many cupholders in the accord, there arent enough cup holders in the civic, the pedals on the civic are too small, the visors feel cheap, the gear shift lever looks weird, etc etc etc.

So we walked out, and I was fuming. My wife made me buy him dinner, and the whole time I wanted to bash his face in with my chair.

Tonight we go to Saturn (Ion), Mazda (3) and Chevy (Cobalt) and then I'm done. I can point the kid in the right direction, it's up to him to choose.
Old 08-11-2005, 06:30 AM

he's your cousin-in-law right?? why are you bringing him to all the dealerships?? where are his parents?? you shouldnt have to put up with a little brat like that hehe
Old 08-11-2005, 06:43 AM

After he sees all those cars you listed I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up liking the Scion tC (or Tc?) after seeing the rest of the field. He sounds like he want something different and the tC really is the most distinctive model in the crowd. I bought one for my girlfriend and she loves it. Everybody loves it. Its just a great all around car.

Quick Reply: Car Choices for College Student?