Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Car buying rant.......

Old 09-13-2016, 11:17 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Originally Posted by white98ls' timestamp='1473701544' post='24060366
As you know having owned one, there are countless permutations of E9x M3, so getting one with the right bodystyle, transmission, condition/mileage, a good color combo (freaking half of them are black, which I didn't want, outside or inside), etc. is very difficult. While I definitely wanted Comfort Access (my wife's car has it) and actually Bluetooth is the bigger one that I am trying to retrofit now, since everything else was how I wanted, there was no way I was returning it. I can use a key like 99.5% of the population. Also from what I understand, it's only on the front doors which is kind of lame (bought this car planning for kids).
BMW's comfort access is crap. My 550 had it and it was stupid, yes it only works on the front doors. Dumb Dumb Dumb.

Bluetooth is a different story, but I'm sure you can get that added on somehow. on the M3
I like it on my wife's '13 C350 (has sensors on all doors), but not the end of the world to not have it. It's funny, we both actually sort of "forgot" that we can lock it with the remote also, and found ourselves walking back to the car to make sure it's locked before having a forehead-slapping moment.

If you narrow down M3s to sedan, manual, Comp Pkg, and no sunroof, you get down to ~130 cars in North America. Add in a desirable color (white/red), most of the options I wanted (nav, electronic dampers, fold-down rear seats, non-power seats I actually prefer), good condition/miles, and it actually being for sale at a price within my budget, and I had to jump on it. I'm not going to return it over 2k miles back to Illinois because I have to fiddle with a key - like pretty much everyone else in the entire world.

[attachment=98913:2011_bmw_m3-pic-3108335101938522900-1024x768.jpeg]
Attached Thumbnails Car buying rant.......-2011_bmw_m3-pic-3108335101938522900-1024x768.jpeg  
Old 09-13-2016, 11:30 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Man I would have sent it back, can't live without comfort access.

first world problem aka how lazy have people become nowadays.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:11 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only have bought one car from a dealer, a month ago, but it was fine. The key is just not to be desperate and be prepared to walk out. I "walked out" twice and first time the salesman stopped me, second time the sales manager. The key is make them desperate. I got them down to $300 of my out the door offer. Unfortunately, I was a LITTLE desperate because of the uniqyue color. Otherwise, I would have just kept shopping. I dont understand people who say they "play psychological games". It is simple, get up and walk out...most likely, they will get the point you arent going to f@#k around.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:50 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,872 Likes on 2,083 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
Originally Posted by sam_spider' timestamp='1473792009' post='24061267
[quote name='white98ls' timestamp='1473701544' post='24060366']
As you know having owned one, there are countless permutations of E9x M3, so getting one with the right bodystyle, transmission, condition/mileage, a good color combo (freaking half of them are black, which I didn't want, outside or inside), etc. is very difficult. While I definitely wanted Comfort Access (my wife's car has it) and actually Bluetooth is the bigger one that I am trying to retrofit now, since everything else was how I wanted, there was no way I was returning it. I can use a key like 99.5% of the population. Also from what I understand, it's only on the front doors which is kind of lame (bought this car planning for kids).
BMW's comfort access is crap. My 550 had it and it was stupid, yes it only works on the front doors. Dumb Dumb Dumb.

Bluetooth is a different story, but I'm sure you can get that added on somehow. on the M3
I like it on my wife's '13 C350 (has sensors on all doors), but not the end of the world to not have it. It's funny, we both actually sort of "forgot" that we can lock it with the remote also, and found ourselves walking back to the car to make sure it's locked before having a forehead-slapping moment.

If you narrow down M3s to sedan, manual, Comp Pkg, and no sunroof, you get down to ~130 cars in North America. Add in a desirable color (white/red), most of the options I wanted (nav, electronic dampers, fold-down rear seats, non-power seats I actually prefer), good condition/miles, and it actually being for sale at a price within my budget, and I had to jump on it. I'm not going to return it over 2k miles back to Illinois because I have to fiddle with a key - like pretty much everyone else in the entire world.

[/quote]

Car looks sharp
Old 09-21-2016, 07:53 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Originally Posted by white98ls' timestamp='1473794277' post='24061302

Car looks sharp
Thanks man! Love it so far. Quickly has become my favorite car I've owned, and that's saying a lot. My best friend also got one about two months before and feels the same.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:21 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
A friend owns a 997 Carrera S. He goes to a Ford dealer to look at the new Mustang GT350. They take his Porsche keys, as collateral, when he test drives the Mustang. When he asks for keys back. They tell him, "Oh so-&-so has it." "No wait, the district supervisor has it." Or some such BS. He spends 2 hours going from office to office to find his keys. Some girl behind the SERVICE COUNTER had it.
No offense to your friend, but that is literally the oldest trick in the book. Why would they need "collateral" to let you drive a car? They have insurance, they make a copy of your drivers license. If you leave your car on their lot that is collateral enough, they could always block it in to keep you from getting it back. The thing I want to know, is if that scam ever works, does hiding your keys do anything but infuriate customers?
Old 09-21-2016, 10:14 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,872 Likes on 2,083 Posts

Originally Posted by Marioshi
Originally Posted by windhund116' timestamp='1472048467' post='24046507

A friend owns a 997 Carrera S. He goes to a Ford dealer to look at the new Mustang GT350. They take his Porsche keys, as collateral, when he test drives the Mustang. When he asks for keys back. They tell him, "Oh so-&-so has it." "No wait, the district supervisor has it." Or some such BS. He spends 2 hours going from office to office to find his keys. Some girl behind the SERVICE COUNTER had it.
No offense to your friend, but that is literally the oldest trick in the book. Why would they need "collateral" to let you drive a car? They have insurance, they make a copy of your drivers license. If you leave your car on their lot that is collateral enough, they could always block it in to keep you from getting it back. The thing I want to know, is if that scam ever works, does hiding your keys do anything but infuriate customers?
Equally as annoying when they keep the keys after they've appraised the trade in. Made me wait 30 minutes to "find" the keys to my S4 when I was looking at trading it in at a BMW dealer.

The only thing they succeeded in is pissing me off and making sure I don't do business there.
Old 09-21-2016, 04:27 PM

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Learned this lesson the hard way as well. Now, I don't even let them take my keys or vehicle, I tell them I will go with my car and drive it into their inspection area myself!
Old 09-22-2016, 07:08 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,242 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Dealers love trade ins. Win win for them. Their high offer for your car would have been a discount if no trade in was needed. Gotta buy new cars at the dealer. Can sell yours anywhere, anytime. Big price for convenience!

I stopped at a very big Honda dealer one day at lunch and wanted to test drive and price a specific new car my wife was considering. Sales weenie wanted to know what driving style I had, number of annual miles driven, etc. "I asked to look at and price a specific vehicle, got one? "

They didn't and she didn't.

Bought my last two SUVs off the internet. Dealer emailed me several different invoices in both cases. Dealers make a fair profit selling at "dealer invoice" price and with incentives will sell below and still make money. They gotta eat too.

-- Chuck
Old 09-22-2016, 07:46 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
They gotta eat too.
https://youtu.be/bnFPQpUk6Ug

Quick Reply: Car buying rant.......