Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Car buying rant.......

Old 08-24-2016, 06:45 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Originally Posted by sam_spider' timestamp='1471634517' post='24043286
[quote name='vader1' timestamp='1471631834' post='24043258']

This is just a general rant but the games seem pretty stupid to educated buyers. There must still be a ton of un-savvy people out their that it makes no difference to change.
Precisely, and obviously the games still work or they wouldn't do it.

We had a similar experience recently at a local GMC dealer, they tried to play the silly games with my wife (I wasn't there with her) and I told her to walk away. Local Chevy dealer was far better to deal with and we ended up buying from them, my wife then drove to the GMC dealer and showed them what she'd bought. lol. Sales guy was quite annoyed.
I HATE it when it's 5 or 6 salesmen, managers, ppl in other offices versus you. Esp versus you and the wife. They use psychology to pit you against her. Or marathon tactics --- until you buy a frickin' car just to get out of the dealership.

A friend owns a 997 Carrera S. He goes to a Ford dealer to look at the new Mustang GT350. They take his Porsche keys, as collateral, when he test drives the Mustang. When he asks for keys back. They tell him, "Oh so-&-so has it." "No wait, the district supervisor has it." Or some such BS. He spends 2 hours going from office to office to find his keys. Some girl behind the SERVICE COUNTER had it.

"Oh, we keep it with all the other cars being serviced."

He will never buy a Ford product.
[/quote]

I'd just call the cops if I didn't have my keys back after 5 mins.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:11 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

When buying a new (regular) car, I like the car buying services as I don't have to fart around and waste time. You get a good price, little/no work on my end, and it's done. Do you get the absolute rock bottom price? No, but a few hundred dollars is no big deal imo as the headaches and time saved is well worth it. I know some cheap people that will email 20 dealers, then haggle endlessly to save $200. I'm sure salesmen despise these people, I know I would.

Only time I walk into a dealership is if I want to test drive the car. If it's a car I want I will be polite and give the salesman a chance to earn my business, but it's usually a waste of time. Regarding used cars (for regular cars like accord/civics/etc), I've noticed that dealerships generally post their lowest price online and don't do haggling. I will call to get the actual price (including bs fees) and just wait until one pops up for the right price before looking at it. I've noticed dealers will steadily reduce the price the longer it sits on their lot for used cars.

High dollar cars is definitely a different game. There's usually some room for negotiation.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:28 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Congrats on the Cayman S choice! You're going to love it!
Old 09-12-2016, 06:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I f@#king hate buying a car at a dealership. The stupid games drive me nuts.

Going through 3 sales people , the salesperson always having to confirm something with his out of sight manager, it's just bullshit.

And I swear I'm gonna jump down the throat of the next guy that pulls out a sharpie and starts scribbling on the blank piece of paper back and forth, back and forth to the sales manager, everybody scribbling on the paper with their sharpie.....Gonna go postal next time.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1
I f@#king hate buying a car at a dealership. The stupid games drive me nuts.

Going through 3 sales people , the salesperson always having to confirm something with his out of sight manager, it's just bullshit.

And I swear I'm gonna jump down the throat of the next guy that pulls out a sharpie and starts scribbling on the blank piece of paper back and forth, back and forth to the sales manager, everybody scribbling on the paper with their sharpie.....Gonna go postal next time.
LOL that's why you do all the back and forth online and only go in to sign the papers and pick up the car.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:03 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I had a great experience with an out of state dealer (Newbold BMW/Toyota). They had an M3 in rare spec (Comp Pkg sedan, manual, no sunroof) listed for $41.5k. I called and asked if there was flex in the price, and they said they had an offer for $40k but no deposit yet. I waited a day or two and they came back to me asking what my offer was. I said $38k, they said $38.5k, I said sold! I put down a $2,500 deposit, they overnighted the rest of the paperwork, I arranged for shipping, and got the car within two weeks from Illinois to California.

The dealer did make a mistake by misstating that the car had the Convenience Pkg, when it turns out it did not - it had many of the individual options added (like navigation and parking sensors), but not the whole package (missing keyless ignition/locks and Bluetooth). When I brought up the mistake, they quickly agreed to either buy back the car (paying for shipping both ways) or give me a partial refund. I asked for $1,500 and they obliged without hesitation.

I think I got pretty lucky despite the mistake - they handled everything well and throughout this whole process, I think I spent about 10-15min on paperwork. I'd highly recommend this dealer if you are in the Chicago area.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by white98ls
I had a great experience with an out of state dealer (Newbold BMW/Toyota). They had an M3 in rare spec (Comp Pkg sedan, manual, no sunroof) listed for $41.5k. I called and asked if there was flex in the price, and they said they had an offer for $40k but no deposit yet. I waited a day or two and they came back to me asking what my offer was. I said $38k, they said $38.5k, I said sold! I put down a $2,500 deposit, they overnighted the rest of the paperwork, I arranged for shipping, and got the car within two weeks from Illinois to California.

The dealer did make a mistake by misstating that the car had the Convenience Pkg, when it turns out it did not - it had many of the individual options added (like navigation and parking sensors), but not the whole package (missing keyless ignition/locks and Bluetooth). When I brought up the mistake, they quickly agreed to either buy back the car (paying for shipping both ways) or give me a partial refund. I asked for $1,500 and they obliged without hesitation.

I think I got pretty lucky despite the mistake - they handled everything well and throughout this whole process, I think I spent about 10-15min on paperwork. I'd highly recommend this dealer if you are in the Chicago area.
Man I would have sent it back, can't live without comfort access.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:32 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
Originally Posted by white98ls' timestamp='1473696231' post='24060291

As you know having owned one, there are countless permutations of E9x M3, so getting one with the right bodystyle, transmission, condition/mileage, a good color combo (freaking half of them are black, which I didn't want, outside or inside), etc. is very difficult. While I definitely wanted Comfort Access (my wife's car has it) and actually Bluetooth is the bigger one that I am trying to retrofit now, since everything else was how I wanted, there was no way I was returning it. I can use a key like 99.5% of the population. Also from what I understand, it's only on the front doors which is kind of lame (bought this car planning for kids).
Old 09-13-2016, 10:20 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1473700219' post='24060347
[quote name='white98ls' timestamp='1473696231' post='24060291']

As you know having owned one, there are countless permutations of E9x M3, so getting one with the right bodystyle, transmission, condition/mileage, a good color combo (freaking half of them are black, which I didn't want, outside or inside), etc. is very difficult. While I definitely wanted Comfort Access (my wife's car has it) and actually Bluetooth is the bigger one that I am trying to retrofit now, since everything else was how I wanted, there was no way I was returning it. I can use a key like 99.5% of the population. Also from what I understand, it's only on the front doors which is kind of lame (bought this car planning for kids).
[/quote]

Ordered my 2009 E92 M3 with only LeMans Blue and Carbon Leather as options. It was great. Comfort access is not required.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:40 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,872 Likes on 2,083 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower' timestamp='1473700219' post='24060347
[quote name='white98ls' timestamp='1473696231' post='24060291']

[/quote]

BMW's comfort access is crap. My 550 had it and it was stupid, yes it only works on the front doors. Dumb Dumb Dumb.

Bluetooth is a different story, but I'm sure you can get that added on somehow. on the M3

Quick Reply: Car buying rant.......