Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Car buying rant.......

Old 08-20-2016, 01:48 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
I have bought three cars out of state online. I only haggled down $500 on each car due to me being out of state and having no recourse on any Lemon Law. I am in the process of looking for a car online now with trading my car in. I wonder how this one will work out?
I haggled one down $4,000 but just put a deposit on my preferred car which I only talked down $200. It was a fair price to begin with though. Hoping it goes through this week. We will see.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:02 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I was in the market for a new CRV and called a dealership who had a good selection in inventory. Basically told them exactly the one I wanted and asked for their best price. The guy would not give me a price over the phone, he tried this whole salesman "well what do you want to pay" and then said to call him back with the best price I find and he would beat it. I explained I wasn't going to all I wanted was someone who wasn't going to give me sales man BS. He then said he has a 20% chance of selling me a car over the phone if he quotes a price, I explained if he didn't he had zero. Conversation ended, I called another dealership, got a straight up guy who gave me what I knew was a good price, we worked from there, my wife stopped in the next day and picked up the car. Not sure what some have against a remote type sale.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car buying generally sucks.

I don't ever think I'd buy a car in my local area. It's an oil producing area, and even though it's down, car prices remain high. Due to that, service (and pricing) at dealerships is terrible! When oil prices are up, the dealers have to do absolutely no work or offer any deals to sell cars.

Another thing I've noticed is that car salesman rarely know anything at all about cars.

I bought my s2000 on eBay from a Cadillac dealer, so no haggling over price (and got a steal).

The best experience was buying a used 4Runner from a used lot in the Houston area. The owner was more of a car guy than a car salesman, so it was a really easy and low key ordeal.

Another thing that makes it frustrating is that most dealers want to know your stats first (credit, income, etc.). They want to see what you can afford, then show you what cars fit your monthly budget. I don't buy cars like that (don't finance them and buy far less than I can afford), but I guess many people do.....
Old 08-21-2016, 12:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a sales person for Honda and every dealership will have a ton of shitty sales people but one or two that have been there awhile and just get straight to the point cause they have too many other customers to deal with and simply put they just don't f@#k around. Seems like you have had bad luck with sales staff or you just got in touch with their call center which aren't really sales people.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:09 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

^^ Hi Rosie.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I actually had the exact opposite experience buying a daily back in January. I was looking for a Challenger R/T 6 speed with heated seats and navi, but was willing to compromise on the heated seats for a local deal (at the right price obviously). Found a black one (no heated seats) at the local Dodge dealership after doing plenty of research on fair prices on these cars and didn't play any games.

Told the salesperson: "I have X amount, can you meet me here 'out the door' (tax, title, yada yada)"

Salesperson: "Nope. And you'll never find one at that price. So why don't you just pay our price? It's only $750 more, you can afford that right?"

Walked out.

Found one (in a much rarer color) about 3 hours away and talked with the online sales rep about the options, carfax, all that jazz and everything checked out. Told him the same thing.

"I have X amount. Can you meet me here 'out the door?'"

"Put down a deposit and we'll have it washed up for you when you get here."

Paid the deposit and picked the car up the next day. Oddly enough, I offered a lot less than what they were asking compared to the first car. Best part: all the option boxes ticked, newer year model, and fewer miles.

Called the original dealership back and asked to speak with the salesman that tried to play games (just to let him know he was wrong). He no longer works there. Imagine.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:34 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

In the future I am going to try to only use sales people who I have befriended over the years - walking into a dealer and getting a random salesman is a complete crap shoot and not a game I will be willing to play ever again. No matter what it's hard to feel like you got a great deal because somehow, someway, they seem to get you to pay more than you should.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with another in this thread, if you want a special low volume sports car you're kind of at their mercy.

When I was looking for my TTRS, I had a specific color and options in mind and I found one at a dealership I wanted, and it was the ONLY one in the country. We came to an agreement, but only after I caved. They didn't f@#k me, (price was still reasonable, and within 2k of asking price), but they were pretty pissed when I came back with my own financing thinking I would finance through them.

When I was looking for my Jeep, the same thing happened, I had one in mind with a specific option set and configuration, and it was the ONLY one around. I paid asking price on the Jeep, but got a REALLY good deal on my TTRS trade in. I was happy with that.

I've owned a 2008 civic Si and a 2010 Honda fit as well, both experiences with Honda dealerships were excellent, they gave me deep discounts on sticker price, AND awesome money for my trades. Now, my guess is those cars are volume cars so they had more wiggle room. These are just some things to think about.

If you're dealing in high volume commonly sold cars, I would not take this BS at all from a dealer. If these are relatively rare, niche market cars, expect to have to do more legwork.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:12 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Janus00
I agree with another in this thread, if you want a special low volume sports car you're kind of at their mercy.

When I was looking for my TTRS, I had a specific color and options in mind and I found one at a dealership I wanted, and it was the ONLY one in the country. We came to an agreement, but only after I caved. They didn't f@#k me, (price was still reasonable, and within 2k of asking price), but they were pretty pissed when I came back with my own financing thinking I would finance through them.

When I was looking for my Jeep, the same thing happened, I had one in mind with a specific option set and configuration, and it was the ONLY one around. I paid asking price on the Jeep, but got a REALLY good deal on my TTRS trade in. I was happy with that.

I've owned a 2008 civic Si and a 2010 Honda fit as well, both experiences with Honda dealerships were excellent, they gave me deep discounts on sticker price, AND awesome money for my trades. Now, my guess is those cars are volume cars so they had more wiggle room. These are just some things to think about.

If you're dealing in high volume commonly sold cars, I would not take this BS at all from a dealer. If these are relatively rare, niche market cars, expect to have to do more legwork.
would you say a brand new base vette or a wrx count as high volume cars?
Old 08-23-2016, 11:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EastS2k
would you say a brand new base vette or a wrx count as high volume cars?
Yes and no, I mean obviously they aren't Honda Civic common, but they are not rare by any stretch of the imagination. I have bought both at discounts btw, deals are out there, they just might be fewer and further between.

Quick Reply: Car buying rant.......