Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

can you return a car after you buy it by law/?

Old 02-21-2009, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2006 Porsche Boxster S. i was having buyers remorse. the payments jumped a bit from my old car. but after one day I LOVE IT!!!

pictures

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=673881
Old 02-21-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely no 3 day cooling off period in California or North Carolina.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car purchases are not covered by the "cooling off period" in Ohio.

As several stated, it varies state to state and by dealer.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:17 AM

The information below is Texas law on the subject and it will vary by state. There are some additional rules for farm equipment, etc., but as a general rule, if you go to the sellers permanent place of business, no three day right of rescission in Texas.

Many consumers are under the impression that they have a 3-day right to cancel any and all consumer purchases. However, this is not true. The right to cancel law applies only to very specific situations.

The 3-day right to cancel law applies to sales made at facilities other than the seller's place of business. Such locations may be the consumer's residence and places rented on a temporary or short-term basis, such as hotel rooms or convention centers.

A "home solicitation transaction" takes place whenever a consumer purchases goods or services for more than $25 payable in cash or installments at a place other than the seller's place of business. The place other than the seller's place of business may be the consumer's home, but it may also be a place that the merchant has rented on a temporary basis, such as a hotel room or convention center.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 AM

What I'm curious about though... is if say, under that law, you go to take you car into the service area, and they sell it to you then? Technically you're going to their "permanent place of business," but your intent is clearly not to purchase?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by y2ks2k,Feb 20 2009, 11:57 AM
Yup, most states say 3 days but when I bought my Fit my sales person was telling me that once you buy it, its yours and the 3 days don't count. As most things the sales guy says I just smirked at him.
That's because I believe the state of Washington doesn't have the cooling off period.