Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Can-am

Old 03-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can-am

Just like the title states, I'm currently in the market for one. I'm trying to get as much information possible, before i pull the trigger.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look like a fun alternative vehicle. I've seen a few on the road when I'm out riding. From what I read, they're just not motorcycle-like. No lean or counter steering, safe only because of electronic nannies, extra weight at similar power, and too wide to split lanes.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:05 AM

The Base Sport Models don't have electronic Nannies. Traction Control is optional, and ABS is Standard. It doesn't ride like a motorcycle but that doesnt mean you are free from having to shift your weight. You get the sensation that the inside wheel is lifting when cornering so you will naturally move arouns a little bit. Wide Handlebars add to that sensation. The front end is heavy, it feels heavy, it rides heavy. No quick left to right flicks on one.

The Big Rotax engine is great. Great torquey feeling, smooth gearbox if you get the MT (I only experienced an MT), good throttle response. I didn't ride an automatic or a touring model so I can't tell you about them.

They are fun to ride still. It's just a different experience. No it's not a motorcycle, but it's not a trike either.

If you call your local Can-Am spyder dealer they might loan you one for the day without too much fuss.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:14 AM

gay
Old 04-03-2011, 05:23 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Not a big fan of the concept. A non-leaning three-wheel vehicle should put the occupants as low as possible, not sitting up high like on a motorcycle. Motorcycle style seat is not what you want on a vehicle that develops cornering loads that don't act in the rider/vehicle vertical plane, you want car seats. Same for steering. A handlebar isn't what you want. Works great for a motorcycle where you only have significant inputs at the bars to initiate cornering and in transitions. On a vehicle like this you have to continuously apply torque to the handlebar around a turn. A steering wheel is better for this.

For a non-leaning three-wheeler, I think the Morgan 3-wheeler/TriHawk/T-Rex approach makes a lot more sense. More like a 3-wheeled sports car than a snowmobile for road use.

Still, I wouldn't be averse to giving a Can-Am a try!
Old 06-07-2011, 08:01 PM

I test rode one shortly after they came out, and enjoyed it for what it is. I wasn't tempted to buy one, but I would if I had the cash to burn and extra space to store one.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:15 PM

If there anything like their snowmobiles, RUN AWAY, besides it has one to many tires.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:29 AM

id say fun if you were going on long trips and werent able to handle 2 wheels. maybe due to age or injury or having to go 2 up all the time.

if not id stick to 2 wheels.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:00 AM

In this case I believe 2 is greater than 3
Old 08-17-2011, 11:03 PM

Just adding to what's been said. A can-am rep said if you turn hard for a tight corner like you would on a bike, it'll be the last turn you'll ever take. Point and case.. There's a video on the net some where (trying to find which forum I got it from) where this guy's boss (knowing this guy rode bikes) was talking to him about buying a can-am. He pulled the trigger so had to brag to the employee. The employee tried to get the boss to bring it to work but the boss wasn't comfy yet. Well the one day that he was, the employee called in sick so he just got to see the video. Well the boss was letting his top salemen (car lot) ride it around the lot. Well you know there's always that one guy... "I use to ride... I had a suzuki ninja 950 rr" blah blah.. Well the boss hadn't met that guy yet because this was his first bike... Well that guy worked at the dealership and convienced the boss that he was safe to ride it. He got on it... WOT... Tried to turn.. The can-am didn't turn.. Slammed in to the cars (yes, the unsold, on display, to make money ones), threw the employee, who bounced off a windshield and through a wooden fence. Well "That guy" was hurt, but his ego probably more than his body. He was able to stand after coming to. The can-am was trash along with 3 cars.... Can only imagine the conversation to the dealership's insurance agent....

Point being. If you want something to leisurly ride around and have wind in your face and on your knees (concidering this is a whole forum of drop tops.. haha), then they are a good choice. If you're wanting to cut around corners and have fun 'spirited' mountain/canyon/hill country rides.... Don't do it.. If you're worried that you've never rode a bike before and that's the easiest way out... My fiance' never rode a bike and took the msf basic course and rides her own bike. It's not that hard. I'd probably own a can an if I lived on the beach and could drive on the beach or if I did a lot of long distances with a purpose other than the trip being the entertainment.

I helped my friend get a bike and we were at cycle gear getting his gear. A guy pulled up on a can-am.. Young guy like 20's... So I was very surprised because it's usually not the younger crowd on them. Ironicly my friend and I had just talked about it because he gave it some thought and kept trying to call it a bike. Well I asked this guy that pulled up on this one why he went to a can-am vs being a typical squid (yes he showed up with no gear) and his responce was "Because I don't know how to ride a bike". (and yes he opted for the automatic)...

Lastly, here in TX you have to have a motorcycle endorcement... not to ride a can-am.

Quick Reply: Can-am