Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Camry or Accord hybrid?

Old 08-06-2007, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Camry or Accord hybrid?

In the next few days, I'm in the process of trading in my old, trusty GS300 for a Camry hybrid (though Accord hybrid is not out of the question, depending on how much they'll discount). The Camry hybrid I'm looking at has an MSRP of $29,000 (leather and other options). Its invoice is around $25,000. What is the probability of getting it close to invoice? As the dealer has said several times, they are not discounting the hybrids that much because the car doesn't have much of a problem selling. Has anyone had experience or heard of someone having bought a Camry hybrid for near invoice? Thanks!

My next stop is a Honda dealership to see how much they're willing to discount. I like the looks and gas mileage of the Camry better.

My trusty GS300 has served me extremely well for several years but it's time to get something even more sensible. Prius is out of the question because it's small and funky-looking.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:11 PM

I do not know where you live, so don't know if you have access to the Nissan Altima hybrid. They are discounted a lot because the sales numbers are not even close to projection.

And the Altima is a lot more fun to drive, with better looks inside/outside.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:24 PM

Sorry, not considering an Altima. When it comes to sensible, reliable cars, I'd only tend to go with Honda or Toyota, in this case, Camry or Accord. When it comes to fun or sports cars, I'd go with other makes as well.

Tonight, I will give them an offer of slightly above invoice and hope they won't laugh at me.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:31 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

I'd take the Camry Hybrid. If you go Accord, just get the V6. The hybrid system isn't worth much.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:33 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by kumainu,Aug 6 2007, 04:24 PM
Sorry, not considering an Altima. When it comes to sensible, reliable cars, I'd only tend to go with Honda or Toyota, in this case, Camry or Accord.
You do know the Altima hybrid system is purchased from Toyota, right? I certainly like the styling and interior better on the Altima. I wouldn't rule it out, Nissan has come a long way and it seems Toyota has taken a few steps back in material quality.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Banned

The Accord Hybrid is faster than the regular Accord V6. WOOT for environmentalism Honda style!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by marthafokker,Aug 6 2007, 04:11 PM
I do not know where you live, so don't know if you have access to the Nissan Altima hybrid. They are discounted a lot because the sales numbers are not even close to projection.

And the Altima is a lot more fun to drive, with better looks inside/outside.
I third the Nissan. The Camry really is a boat. They only thing I like about the current Camry is the gas mileage of the hybrid. In every other way I would rather have an Accord. That's better looking inside, outside, handing, ride etc.

The Nissan has fine reliability. Contrary to what Toyota and Honda dealers may claim, other brands make very reliable cars. To further put things in perspective, I have a friend who almost lemon lawed his '06 Accord coupe. Another friend just bought an '07 CRV. Thanks to a failed wheel speed sensor the car had to be towed in for repair after about 1500 miles.

Don't get me wrong, I think Hondas, especially the Accord and Civic (minus the Jetsons dash) are very good cars but others are also good.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kumainu,Aug 6 2007, 04:24 PM
Sorry, not considering an Altima. When it comes to sensible, reliable cars, I'd only tend to go with Honda or Toyota, in this case, Camry or Accord. When it comes to fun or sports cars, I'd go with other makes as well.

Tonight, I will give them an offer of slightly above invoice and hope they won't laugh at me.
"hahahahahahaha

Just thought I would get you used to it! Lol

I get calls all day long from customers in the US seeing if they can pick one up here in Canada.

By the way....that laugh is the same one I give them.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Aug 6 2007, 04:33 PM
You do know the Altima hybrid system is purchased from Toyota, right? I certainly like the styling and interior better on the Altima. I wouldn't rule it out, Nissan has come a long way and it seems Toyota has taken a few steps back in material quality.
You do know that Toyota has so far just sold Nissan first generation technology...You don't honestly expect them to sell them the latest tech that they are using in their own vehicles.

And I agree with you regarding the styling on the Nissans. At least most of them but then again that is subjectinve. The one thing they still are having a hard time with is interior quality. I am talking one year old and colour washed out of dash, steering wheel. Cheap plastic used on the cupholders and ......I dont know about the US but here in Canada, Nissan has only a one year warranty on interior trim pieces. Should kind of tell you something. They also don't seem to hold their value near as well as Honda or Toyota. Never really understood that since the heart of the car, the engines, really are world class.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rockville,Aug 6 2007, 04:47 PM
I third the Nissan. The Camry really is a boat. They only thing I like about the current Camry is the gas mileage of the hybrid. In every other way I would rather have an Accord. That's better looking inside, outside, handing, ride etc.

The Nissan has fine reliability. Contrary to what Toyota and Honda dealers may claim, other brands make very reliable cars. To further put things in perspective, I have a friend who almost lemon lawed his '06 Accord coupe. Another friend just bought an '07 CRV. Thanks to a failed wheel speed sensor the car had to be towed in for repair after about 1500 miles.

Don't get me wrong, I think Hondas, especially the Accord and Civic (minus the Jetsons dash) are very good cars but others are also good.
There are two big problems with the Accord. First off after this year the Camry V6 Hybrid is dead...not going to help resale. Secondly, the Honda system isn't a Hybrid in the same sense that the Toyota is. Stop at a light the car shuts off..put your foot back on the gas it starts again etc...They have had a very good reliability record though. Just kind of dumb that they put the hybrid on the 6's, when the people who care about gas mileage and are willing to pay, really do want the gas mileage a hybrid 4 offers. I got a feeling you are going to see the hybrid Accord reappear on the 4 in the coming year or two.

Quick Reply: Camry or Accord hybrid?