Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C7 Z06, your opinions/input

Old 02-12-2020, 07:24 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default C7 Z06, your opinions/input

Well, as much as I love my s2k, I think it’s time for a change. The wife and I are looking at c7 z06’s. She saw one at a parking structure and she fell in love lol.

Haven’t test driven one yet, but I can only imagine that the power is intoxicating. And the looks...my god is it menacing, especially with the z07 package with extra aero.

So my question to my fellow s2ki brethren, is do any of you have any experiences with the car? Any input? I know I could just google it, but I would also like to get some perspective from people that have made the jump from an s2k to a z06. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:53 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,867 Likes on 2,079 Posts

My brother has a C7, not a Z06, and I've driven it quite a bit, enough to know I don't want one. I find the car quite large while driving it, you can't really tell where the corners of the car are.

The power is fine, and it's good fun to romp on throttle, but you find yourself in going to jail speed fairly quickly. It's comfy on the highway and gets good mileage, just isn't right for me. For sure go drive some and see what you think, just look past the power part of the car and consider the whole package.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 07:59 AM

Received 613 Likes on 428 Posts

Cooling is a nightmare, as in, non-existent.

Everyone i know that has tried to track them, ran into massive cooling issues - car would go into limp mode after 2 laps. Another one, that has his C7 Z06 stored at the track (chuckwalla) - next to his McLaren - said that he is part of the class action law suit. He said that the cooling issues were so bad that he would even run into issues just doing canyon runs in the summer. His remedy was to re-engineer the cooling system himself - he ripped out all of the lines, hoses, stock cooling units, and radiators, and replaced everything himself. He re-did all of the ducting, cooling lines, and replaced oil coolers and radiators with much larger aftermarket units.

If you want a Z06 - stick with a C6 or C5 (those are a bargain now). Or, if you want a C7, get a grandsport instead - avoid the Z06.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:08 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I feel like more than four times the torque of the S2k and nearly 1.2g on the skidpad would be frustrating and downright dangerous to try to exercise on the street, and as mentioned they have their issues on track. They are badass cars and a hell of a value, but not for me.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:41 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Get the Grand Sport - all of the looks, none of the headaches. Good engine, transmission should be fine (if you get the manual - they've had some MAJOR issues with the 8-speed automatics so be very careful if you get one), still very quick and aftermarket support is readily available if you want it.

A friend of mine (co-worker) has a C7 and I really like it. It's much more isolated than an S2000 (or my Z4M, which we drove back to back with his C7) but it is extremely capable, very comfortable, fast and easy to drive. I'd have no problem owning one, especially if I wanted to daily drive it.
s.hasan546 (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 09:23 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had the privilege (I guess?) of tracking a ZL1 1LE and C7 Z06 w/Z07 on the same track in the same day.

The Z07 is an amazing value, but you must consider there is up to $10k of necessary cooling mods before you track the car. If you plan on modifying and tracking the car AND you get the automatic, you may always have issues with overheating. The chassis dynamics are incredible (read: fast) but slightly numb when compared to the S2000. Even when driven at the limit with all the nannies off, it doesn't make you work too much. It puts the power down, has phenomenal turn-in, and handles transitions well for a car of its size and weight.

The GS is the Z07 but without the potential headache of overheating. Sure, it is slower around larger tracks but it is an extremely well balanced car even if it is a bit "under powered" by today's standards.

Lastly, the ZL1 1LE. I owned and drove this car and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. I tracked this car in the Texas heat and never had even the slightest hint of over heating.. it also made me work a bit harder than the Z07. The rear end was less planted, it didn't have the same "point and shoot" feeling in the front end, and it showed its weight a little more than the Corvettes. It required a bit more technique to extract the ridiculous lap times that car is capable of. That being said, the ZL1 1LE will also feel numb in comparison to the S2000. It rev matches for you, the steering is heavy but lifeless, and it is absolute MURDER on consumables.

If this is to be merely a street/strip/fun car, a base ZL1 would be my pick. I'd cautiously pick a Z06/Z07 with a manual transmission as my second choice, knowing that I'd likely have to mod to keep the car cool if I ever wanted to go past stock power levels.

Last edited by mt.nichols; 02-14-2020 at 07:09 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:24 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Keep the feedback coming, actually have been pondering a C7Z06 after there are plenty of C8s out on the road. Definitely subscribed.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:47 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

The 2017 and newer Z06's have improved cooling. Unless you are a top 25% DE driver, you won't have cooling issues on track. If you don't track, it's a non-issue. Drive the car and you'll know whether it's the right one for you. 650hp LT4 is a monster and the car overall is a lot of fun.
FearlessFife (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 12:00 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by white98ls
I feel like more than four times the torque of the S2k and nearly 1.2g on the skidpad would be frustrating and downright dangerous to try to exercise on the street, and as mentioned they have their issues on track. They are badass cars and a hell of a value, but not for me.
it only makes it more fun. I’ve recorded 1.5G on one car and have no problems driving it joyfully on the streets.

dont think the objective of street driving is to hit the limit of your car :P
Old 02-12-2020, 12:37 PM
IPB

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FearlessFife
Keep the feedback coming, actually have been pondering a C7Z06 after there are plenty of C8s out on the road. Definitely subscribed.
Same here. I was actually looking at them on autotrader this morning
FearlessFife (02-12-2020)

Quick Reply: C7 Z06, your opinions/input