Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C7 Corvette test video reviews are out!

Old 08-01-2013, 11:12 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never been a fan of Corvette until the C7. I really like the new exterior design and impressed with the interior. The most interesting measurement to me is its slalom speed of 72.8 mph matching that of the 981S. If it is as nimble and driver-oriented as the numbers and video reviews say it is, then it is truly a grand slam homerun.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:28 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Prompted by that, I went looking for as-tested weights for 991s.

C&D: 3199 for a 2012 Carrera.
http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...test-sheet.pdf
I'm not sure how it was options, but is has the 7spd manual and $17,640 worth of options.

Porsche claims 3042, so that's a 157 increase over what the factory says.
Porsche says the Carrera S is only 33 lbs heavier than the Carrera, so we can estimate a C&D as-tested weight of 3,232 lbs. Indeed, not a whole lot different from your 3,298 weight for the Corvette.

(And just for fun, I'll mention Porsche claims 3,340 lbs for a C4S Cab. Or, 3,497 if C&D's observation applies.)
Old 08-01-2013, 11:29 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

So, given the amazing performance of the C7, the big question to me is: do you buy a lightly used C6 Z06 or a new C7 Z51? I'm looking for a new car (possibly now, possibly in the spring) and this is a big dilemma.

I actually prefer the exterior of the C6 Z06 over the new C7, but I like the interior of the new C7 way more. The Z06 will not depreciate as much (though I expect the spring will be a better time to buy as C7 prices will drive down C6 Z06 prices). The running costs will probably be about the same. They're both roughly as quick in normal driving and arguably as quick on a track as well, given the higher grip level and brakes on the C7 (plus e-diff) to offset the slightly lighter weight, higher power and firmer suspension of the Z06.

All things considered, they're roughly equal cars in performance, price and overall value. The major differences are the exterior (subjective) and interior (arguably objective, given the higher spec of the C7).

Thoughts?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edmunds has a nice suspension walk around of the car on their site now. They hit on something that I have suspected for a while, the computer controlled diff is a godsend for handling. Based on what I know of LSDs this makes total sense. Cars like the Corvette have traditionally needed a LSD to get any power down. Without it they do that one legged burnout. Conversely, cars like the Cayman and Elise are noted for not having LSDs but having great handling. I know many car people think LSDs, especially torque sensing LSDs are the end all be all for great handling. They in fact are a compromise and nothing more. With a rear engine car you have enough weight over the rear axle so that you rarely ever need the help of a LSD to put the power down. That also means when you are steering into a corner you have the benefits of an open diff. Even when Porsche adds a LSD they can add a relatively mild locking ratio because they are mostly counting on the weight over the rear axle to get the power down.

With the Corvette and other FR cars it was typically necessary to have an aggressive diff to avoid that one legged burnout. That same aggressive diff made it harder to ease the car into a corner because the LSD mechanism is fighting the free action of the rear wheels. It's trying to make the left and right wheels spin at the same speed. Now GM has a computer controlled diff that can lock up when you mash the gas but stay nice and open when you ease into a bend. It's the best of both worlds.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:50 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Thoughts?
I would go with whichever had the better "feel" for driving. Which would require a test drive of each. That's a much more important factor than the looks of each, IMO. So I'd recommend wait until spring, when the C7 has been out for a few months, and check back with Magic 8 Ball.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:11 PM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
Originally Posted by TommyDeVito' timestamp='1375115629' post='22693574
And it might be the dumbest comparison of anything I've seen on here, obviously not someone who knows anything about motorcycles (not you, vader).
You're talking about me?
Are you sure you actually read the above exchange?

Piped twins are loud period.
No kidding... My Tuono with the Aprilia "race" can was stupid loud, a bit embarrassing on the street, even.
Oem exhaust twins are loud, period, especially big bored versions.
No they aren't. Stock-piped Harleys and Ducatis are pretty quiet, I wouldn't call either "loud".

The V-rod is a cruiser while most Ducatis are sportbikes (unless talking about the Diavel, Multistrada, etc, but even the multi handles). Ducati could be compared to a sportscar while the VRod couldn't. One was built to lean, brake, accelerate and the other was built to ride in a straight line going bar to bar with a beanie on. Hardly Ablesons should be compared to 70's muscle cars because their technology hasn't been much updated in four decades.
You aren't teaching anyone anything about these bikes. No one was comparing any Ducati with any Harley on any terms other than noise, and it wasn't me who made the original off-the-mark comparison.
VRod isn't anything special as far as I'm concerned, but it doesn't really have much to do technology-wise with any other Harley past or present either.
I mentioned who I was referring to in my post and it wasn't you so simmer down.

Yes, twins are loud, compared to inline 4's whether that is stock to stock or modded to modded. I've owned many of each, unless something that has changed in 2013. Only own a crossplane and a V4 right now.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:42 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by rockville
Edmunds has a nice suspension walk around of the car on their site now. They hit on something that I have suspected for a while, the computer controlled diff is a godsend for handling. Based on what I know of LSDs this makes total sense. Cars like the Corvette have traditionally needed a LSD to get any power down. Without it they do that one legged burnout.
FWIW, I could reliably do 2-wheel burnouts in my 240Z back when it had an open diff. Putting the power down while turning, though...

Conversely, cars like the Cayman and Elise are noted for not having LSDs but having great handling.
People that track them on sticky tires want/need limited slip. Not an issue on street tires on the street, though.

I know many car people think LSDs, especially torque sensing LSDs are the end all be all for great handling. They in fact are a compromise and nothing more.
Often a *very good* compromise.

With a rear engine car you have enough weight over the rear axle so that you rarely ever need the help of a LSD to put the power down. That also means when you are steering into a corner you have the benefits of an open diff. Even when Porsche adds a LSD they can add a relatively mild locking ratio because they are mostly counting on the weight over the rear axle to get the power down.
For a while at least, 911 LSDs were set up to lock up more on decel than on acceleration! Of course an ideal FR setup would be for more lockup under acceleration, but I bet most OEM applications keep some rear lock to minimize corner-entry oversteer.

With the Corvette and other FR cars it was typically necessary to have an aggressive diff to avoid that one legged burnout. That same aggressive diff made it harder to ease the car into a corner because the LSD mechanism is fighting the free action of the rear wheels. It's trying to make the left and right wheels spin at the same speed. Now GM has a computer controlled diff that can lock up when you mash the gas but stay nice and open when you ease into a bend. It's the best of both worlds.
You don't need computer controlled E-diffs or torsen/quaife type worm gear diffs to get lockup when you need it and a more free-wheeling action when you don't. The Salisbury (ramps) clutch-type diff from a stock Z31 turbo in my 255rwhp 240Z does a *stellar* job of putting the power down without much static breakaway torque at all. Like ~20 lb-ft when I measured it years and years ago, certainly something less than that now. At the wheels, that's NOTHING. The ramps lock up the clutch pack commensurate with power applied. Never understood why so many Z guys went nuts with shimming those diffs to ~100 lb.-ft or more breakway. Totally unnecessary and hurts the handling.

No problem at all to design a mechanical LSD that would totally freewheel on decel, but again OEMs kept most of them strictly 2-way to try to keep the uninitiated from oversteering into a ditch when they give it the big LIFT off the throttle while cornering.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of robust mechanical solutions that work. Not as big a fan of electronics that rely on a brain that isn't connected to the one driving the car!
Old 08-01-2013, 05:32 PM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan
Originally Posted by JonBoy' timestamp='1375385356' post='22701207
Thoughts?
I would go with whichever had the better "feel" for driving. Which would require a test drive of each. That's a much more important factor than the looks of each, IMO. So I'd recommend wait until spring, when the C7 has been out for a few months, and check back with Magic 8 Ball.
I think you're probably right. I may test drive a Z06 just to see if it appeals to me but probably won't buy 'til the spring (or even late winter, when prices are still low from the "off season").

Just something about a 7L n/a V8 that seems hard to not like, though...
Old 08-01-2013, 06:08 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
Originally Posted by Elistan' timestamp='1375386652' post='22701277
[quote name='JonBoy' timestamp='1375385356' post='22701207']
Thoughts?

Just something about a 7L n/a V8 that seems hard to not like, though...
[/quote]

'Merica
Old 08-02-2013, 02:51 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

at this point i'd still take a C6Z over the C7. even if the C7 drives much better, i've gotten accustomed to my base coupe's relatively "floaty" sensation enough that the extra MPH in the 1/4, entry price, and already known mod potential make the C6Z my car of choice. if I had a C7, knowing myself I would keep wanting to mod it so it can at least keep pace with a stock C6z. But a modded C6Z would probably ruin my day lol. i have issues.

Quick Reply: C7 Corvette test video reviews are out!