Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C7 Corvette test video reviews are out!

Old 07-26-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vader1
While I am sure the C7 is a very fine car, I think the term "game changer" does not fit.

I might possibly fit into the target market for this car. Male, can afford one, like sports cars. But to me it is just the evolution of a Corvette, which is a car that never really appealed to me in the first place.

I don't mean to flame with my opinions, although I am sure it will be but here goes anyways. Corvettes, muscle cars, and Vipers have always been about brute force as an image. To me it is an image of sort of like having a huge pair of balls and always wearing them outside of your pants, hanging out for all to see. Not my thing, I prefer an elegant look, a bit more understated. Sort of like comparing the new 458 Italia to most Lamborghini's. The Lambos are more in your face and to me the Ferrari is elegant. Nothing about the new styling of the C7 speaks to me. Sharp angles, loud looking scoops, the giant hole in the hood. It is very in your face, balls hanging out. Don't want it. Even though the seats are better, and it has improved tech (which every car these days does and I don't care about).

Would I like to take one for a spin someday? Sure. I bet it is fun, and V8 torque has few equals. But I much prefer the Cayman and love the new one so that will be the next toy when the time comes. Nothing Chevy did with the C7 changes the image, just improves on the same formula. But Porsche did the same thing with the Cayman, took an excellent car and made it better and while it gets applause, game changer does not fit there either.

I also much prefer mid engine. To me they are so much more fun to drive than anything else. The sound of the engine behind your head, and the planted feel of the tail end. I am sure the Corvette is faster, but everyone has driven cars that offered more fun than cars that were faster. I will take the car that appeals to me in style and fun to drive over the one that is obviously faster in a straight line.

I am sure it is a great car for a lot of people but I am not sure that it is so revolutionary that people that the Corvette never appealed to before are suddenly going to love it because it make more power still, and has nicer seats. If I saw somebody driving one, I'd give them the thumbs up and say "nice wheels" but its not like Chevy blew my socks off or even grabbed my attention for that matter.

It's nice, but it is another Corvette. I still want the slower, but probably for me much more fun to drive Cayman. Honestly, I prefer the scalpel-sleek euro yuppy image over the hammer like Nascar one.
100%. You perfectly described my thoughts. And I can't tell you how many times I've priced out a '14 Cayman S...
Old 07-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ZDan
Originally Posted by Disgustipated' timestamp='1374873852' post='22689509
Wrong about the Z06. C6 Z06 is 3150-3200 lbs stock.
I have zero reason to doubt Road & Track's measured 3310 lb. curb weight for the C6 Z06 shown in the link.
They list "test weight" at 3485, only 175 lb. more, so their "curb weight" obviously includes some fuel.
If it's 3310 lb. with a full 18 gallon tank, that's 3200 lb. empty. Doesn't make the 3310 number "wrong".

It's odd that they don't specify how much fuel is in the tank with reported weights. I swear that it *used* to be the norm to report vehicle weight with an empty tank, but now it seems they might be reporting it with a full tank. Or at least with enough fuel to do their battery of tests.
I have plenty of reasons. People on Vette forums weigh their cars and are around 3150-3200 on chassis scales and other scales.

Road & Track can't even get their own numbers right.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...he-power-of-12

One might think that the additional carbon components would save weight, but in the end our test car is only 20 lb. lighter than the ZR1 and still 115 lb. heavier than the base Z06. Although carbon was added, so were heavier shocks and wheels. This is still the lightest car of the group, its weight-to-power ratio beating even the mighty Turbo S.
According to their goofy chart you posted

Z06 Test Weight = 3485 lbs
ZR1 Test Weight = 3580 lbs

So the Carbon Z06 is 115 lb heavier than the base Z06? So it's 3600 lbs test weight? Which is actually 20 lbs more than the ZR1? Lol.

Here's a thread with owners actually weighing their cars: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...rb-weight.html

I'll take the word of people who own the cars and weighed them over POS Road and Track that can't do math and contradict themselves.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:17 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Disgustipated
I have plenty of reasons. People on Vette forums weigh their cars and are around 3150-3200 on chassis scales and other scales.
Already noted, 3310 *could* be with a full tank, if so, that's 3200 empty.
Anyway, less reason to doubt R&T than reports from car forum.
R&T is more likely to have a realistic repeatable method for weighing cars they test, and less likely to report optimistic readings, more likely to report heavier readings.

Road & Track can't even get their own numbers right.
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-revi...he-power-of-12
One might think that the additional carbon components would save weight, but in the end our test car is only 20 lb. lighter than the ZR1 and still 115 lb. heavier than the base Z06. Although carbon was added, so were heavier shocks and wheels. This is still the lightest car of the group, its weight-to-power ratio beating even the mighty Turbo S.
Don't see what they're getting wrong here. Different Z06 option levels weigh different amounts.
Also, it's not unheard of for changes to happen that aren't pubicized that can alter weights of same-model same-option cars even within the same model year.
Again, no reason for Road and Track to mislead, they weigh cars and report what they find.

According to their goofy chart you posted

Z06 Test Weight = 3485 lbs
ZR1 Test Weight = 3580 lbs
Don't see what's goofy about it. As I mentioned in my previous post, those are the weights *as tested*. As in, with a DRIVER who apparently weighs 175 lb., and presumably some fuel, possibly a full tank.

Here's a thread with owners actually weighing their cars: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...rb-weight.html

I'll take the word of people who own the cars and weighed them over POS Road and Track that can't do math and contradict themselves.
Yeah, you should always believe what people say about their own cars. No one has EVER lied, misled, or exaggerated about his car!

Consider that anybody who happens to weigh his Z06 and gets a very low number is way way WAY more likely to report it than the guy who weighs his and gets a very high number.

I'll stick with an independent unbiased source that has nothing to gain and a lot to lose from lying about what the cars they test actually weigh, as delivered from the factory.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the new vette looks great....would live to own one.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my 08 base with Z51 supposedly weighs in at a bit over 3,200 lbs IIRC. the 3444 curb weight of the C7 definitely surprised me as well.

edit: my 08's curb weight should be 3,217 according to http://www.corvettemuseum.org/specs/2008/
Old 07-26-2013, 08:06 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Elistan
Originally Posted by TheDonEffect' timestamp='1374811536' post='22688041
This car is just as heavy as a 911s and other european sportscar that I like, but since this is american it's unacceptable.
I suppose your above sarcasm was prompted by me, since I brought up the car's weight first in this thread. Just wanted to point out that Porsche claims the 991 S with 7MT is 3075 lbs. I mean, the Corvette is no GTR when it comes to weight, which is good, but that 3444 lbs spec caught me by surprise is all.
Nah it wasn't really directed at you, there's just a constant rhetoric on these boards. Yeah the 911 is relatively light (btw, that was a good reminder, I forgot how light those things were, but turbo not so much), but it does cost a solid 30k more (and more once you start ticking off the options) and 100hp less.
To be clear though, I'm not a fan of the weight gain, but these days that's still not bad. This car isn't trying to be an autocross machine, but it is trying to win at the track and that it does.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it seems everybody is always so concerned about auto cross when a new car comes out. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Might as well get a na miata and build that? Or would that be more fun then smashing around in a v8 zo6?
Old 07-28-2013, 09:40 AM

Received 234 Likes on 165 Posts

Rev match on the 7MT? Awesome! Didn't realize it had this until I watched the video.

I'm agreeing with Mark - this car needs to be black/dark grey to look truly good. I'm a big fan of white cars but this one has too many vents/holes/plastic features to make it work. The white one DOES look like something a storm trooper would drive, though.

This car is definitely amazing. I'm curious about actual weights but 1.11g on a Z51? Insane! 0-60 in under 4s with 11s 1/4 mile just a few mods away is incredible for the price. It's far and away the best bang-for-the-buck sports car in the world.

A few styling niggles aside, this car is nearly perfect (pending actual weights to verify how heavy it really is).
Old 07-28-2013, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm blown away by the new Vette, and the reviews only make it more tempting. My main concern is that GM stuffed an awful lot of cool technology in the car, and I fear it may negatively impact reliability. I guess we'll start finding out soon enough. Assuming my fears prove unfounded, I could easily see myself in one in a few years.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome performance, back is horrendous

Quick Reply: C7 Corvette test video reviews are out!