Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C6 vs Kraftworks High Boost S2k

Old 12-27-2007, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Dec 27 2007, 05:16 PM
Very true since drag racing does, indeed, include off the line and "down low" power.
Having a significant amount of more torque is also a big advantage in autocrossing and road racing (depending on track layout). Also, while peak numbers are cool bragging points, power curves are even more meaningful and if you look at the torque and horsepower curve of an Evo it is much better than an S2000. The same is true when comparing a C6, like the OP is trying to do, to an S2000.

Yes, a stock S2000 can pull on a stock Evo from a roll. The stock Evo turbo runs out of "breathe" after ~6K.

I think that all three cars are great and perform well in terms of their manufacturered purpose. I am grateful to own two of the three, and cannot wait to add the third to my stable! LOL!
Old 12-27-2007, 03:35 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2QYK4U,Dec 27 2007, 07:27 PM
Having a significant amount of more torque is also a big advantage in autocrossing and road racing (depending on track layout). Also, while peak numbers are cool bragging points, power curves are even more meaningful and if you look at the torque and horsepower curve of an Evo it is much better than an S2000. The same is true when comparing a C6, like the OP is trying to do, to an S2000.

Yes, a stock S2000 can pull on a stock Evo from a roll. The stock Evo turbo runs out of "breathe" after ~6K.

I think that all three cars are great and perform well in terms of their manufacturered purpose. I am grateful to own two of the three, and cannot wait to add the third to my stable! LOL!
Old 12-27-2007, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So am I to conclude that the general opinion is the Kraftwerks High Boost kit is pretty much a ? "If you want a faster car buy a faster car " as the saying goes?
Old 12-27-2007, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by archtop,Dec 27 2007, 05:40 PM
So am I to conclude that the general opinion is the Kraftwerks High Boost kit is pretty much a ? "If you want a faster car buy a faster car " as the saying goes?
I wouldn't make that statement at all. I am sure it is a very nice kit, and definitely makes the S2000 quicker. However, you can't simply install this kit (or a Comptech or Vortech for that matter) and think that you can go compete with the big boys. You might compete well against a C5, but the C6 is a whole new animal (especially the 2008 w/LS3). We are not even referencing the Z06 here.

The S2000 was built for a specific purpose and does well with that in mind. However, in order to make it competitive in other arenas, such as drag racing, drastic modifications need to be made and you half to be willing to make sacrifices.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:25 PM

Actually drag racing has little to do with low down power and torque. I work on several competitive drag cars and in all of them power below 6500 is useless. I understand this won't apply to all cars but the concept is the same. You want to launch the car and get it to the peak horsepower as fast as you can for as long as you can. For the S2000 my best launches have been above the VTEC changeover, and the revs never drop out of it. If the car made zero horsepower up to 6000rpm it wouldn't matter because it isn't being used. Having never launched an Evo I will assume it is like most other all wheel drive cars, launch as high in the rev band as you dare and hope for the best. If you can't spin the tires then power down low may come into play as you don't make enough power to get up to the peak right away. The "bogged" launch of AWD cars is more often than not made up for the added traction. Still you are never really below 3500. Having to spin the tires slightly is neccesary but in the S2000 you have to spin them to the detriment of ET. You have the opposite problem with any LS motored car. You are traction limited, they have so much power everywhere that you have to be careful not to smoke the tires on the launch. Launch anywhere above 3500 and you should be okay, but this can be very dependent on track temp and prep. On a sticky "National Event" track you can launch higher, on a greasy Friday night it might be lower.

I believe power down low is much more useful in autocrossing and road racing. With slower corners you need that power down low and all the power under the curve you can get to pull away because you use the full rev range. In drag racing the small rev range that you use that power down low is rather unimportant. It is much more about getting to peak and staying there.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by wills2k106,Dec 27 2007, 06:25 PM
Actually drag racing has little to do with low down power and torque. I work on several competitive drag cars and in all of them power below 6500 is useless. I understand this won't apply to all cars but the concept is the same. You want to launch the car and get it to the peak horsepower as fast as you can for as long as you can. For the S2000 my best launches have been above the VTEC changeover, and the revs never drop out of it. If the car made zero horsepower up to 6000rpm it wouldn't matter because it isn't being used. Having never launched an Evo I will assume it is like most other all wheel drive cars, launch as high in the rev band as you dare and hope for the best. If you can't spin the tires then power down low may come into play as you don't make enough power to get up to the peak right away. The "bogged" launch of AWD cars is more often than not made up for the added traction. Still you are never really below 3500. Having to spin the tires slightly is neccesary but in the S2000 you have to spin them to the detriment of ET. You have the opposite problem with any LS motored car. You are traction limited, they have so much power everywhere that you have to be careful not to smoke the tires on the launch. Launch anywhere above 3500 and you should be okay, but this can be very dependent on track temp and prep. On a sticky "National Event" track you can launch higher, on a greasy Friday night it might be lower.

I believe power down low is much more useful in autocrossing and road racing. With slower corners you need that power down low and all the power under the curve you can get to pull away because you use the full rev range. In drag racing the small rev range that you use that power down low is rather unimportant. It is much more about getting to peak and staying there.
I currently have no factual disputes with what you have stated. Nice post!
Old 12-27-2007, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by archtop,Dec 27 2007, 06:40 PM
I don't know enough about the kit to have an opinion on it, but a really bad experience w/ a Vortech S/C lead me to adopt the philosophy of buying the performance I want off the showroom floor than trying to modify something to get the power I want. There's a lot to be said for OEM engineering, factory warranty, and having a single point of accountability when things go wrong....not to mention better resale value.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by 2QYK4U,Dec 27 2007, 11:21 AM
Passing isn't normally allowed on corners--only straight-aways.
Only in beginner class. I haven't went to a track event where I haven't been able to pass under normal flags. Also I assume if you have FI installed you would upgrade other area of the car and not just that.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:21 AM

[QUOTE=E36Ap1,Dec 28 2007, 03:28 AM] Only in beginner class.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:19 AM

I go to speed trial usa. But showing that video really doesn't show anything compare to a high boosted s2k. Of course if you run a boosted s2k, you should run a wider contact patch to put the power down. Also upgrading brakes to slow down the car. I'm pretty sure with a wider contact patch would also increase your skid pad numbers.