Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C5 Z06 or new C6

Old 06-05-2006, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd take the C6 without thinking twice about it, unless the C5 Z06 is only half the price.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, you might give up a tenth or 2, but you are getting a new body style, the coupe vs. hardtop look, which IMO is way better looking. Targa tops, and a new car. Go for the C6.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:59 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple_sky,Jun 5 2006, 11:51 AM
I'd take the C6 without thinking twice about it, unless the C5 Z06 is only half the price.
Yeah...it pretty much IS half the price...Lotsa ZO6's in the low $30s....a halfway-well equipped C6 coupe is gonna struggle to get out the door under $50k, since they start at $45k, and z51 is a $1600 option.

Hence the debate...is a C6 twice as good as a C5 ZO6??
Old 06-05-2006, 12:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tough choice. Seems to me you can get the C5 Z06 cheaper and otherwise the two have comparable performance (tires make a bigger difference than anything else).
Old 06-05-2006, 12:36 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Performance wise, they're dead equal, and .3L (unless we're talking about Hondas) won't equate to much more potential, so we could say they're equal in that respect; again my whole perspective on how good a driver is and that 90% of us on this board won't be able to get the marginal differences out of the car. However, if your driving style suits one over the other, then you won't need anyone else's opinion, just test drive both and see which one leaves you more satisfied.
The C6 does have the refinement over the C5 Z06, however we are all S2000 owners so things like interior noise volume obviously didn't play that big of a role in our decision. Personally, I think the dash on the C5s had more pizazz to it, a nice throwback to the C3s, but the seats are much better for the C6, and as for as things like the C6's door handles, I just see it as more stuff that will go wrong at the wrong time.
The targa top aspect is a wash, most vette owners from what I see don't take it off so you're on your own on this one.
But there is just one last thing that people forgot to mention, and it may be trivial but I think it's worth considering. When you buy a C6, you're going to be getting the same old model whereas the Z06 you're buying something special. To put it in perspective, many people would choose an Integra Type R over an RSX Type S without batting an eye. The performance differences are marginal, but something about having the Type R makes that much of a difference. Same goes with the Z06, you're buying something special, a model that the engineers cooked up by asking what ifs, and it was the best of its generation.
Seats can be changed, interiors can be dressed up, power can be added, but the essence of teh car cannot be changed. A Z51 equipped C6 has a sticker of a few bucks shy of 50K, an immaculate used Z06 I've seen for 30K (and thats here in California) a few times, that's almost a 20 grand difference especialyl if you wait until the winter season... Z06 and a AP1 S2000, that's my vote.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

At that price difference, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Z06. $20k is a lot of cash.. toss some at a blower and some at future maintenance and you will be a happy camper.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:42 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Jun 5 2006, 12:36 PM
...but the seats are much better for the C6...
Interesting, no personal experience of my own, but in the latest C/D cover story (Shelby Mustang vs. Corvette), the C6 seats were pretty much slammed, and were about the biggest criticism of the C6 that they mentioned.

Are the C5 seats even WORSE, or was C/D out of line?
Old 06-05-2006, 01:30 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I sat in a C6 Z06 a while back and really liked the seats - I have no idea if they're the same ones as the regular C6, though.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Jun 5 2006, 02:42 PM
Interesting, no personal experience of my own, but in the latest C/D cover story (Shelby Mustang vs. Corvette), the C6 seats were pretty much slammed, and were about the biggest criticism of the C6 that they mentioned.

Are the C5 seats even WORSE, or was C/D out of line?
The CD writer didn't seem to know what he was talking about. The sport seats have plenty of power adjustments including power side bolsters. Granted I am not a skiny guy, but I have no problems adjusting so I don't slide at all.. I slide a lot more in my S2000 than I would ever in the C6.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a tough choice, it really is. The C6 "look" is starting to grow on me, but I still think I prefer the C5, especially in convertible form. In coupe form, the back of the C6 is not nearly as unattractive, but I'm still not a fan of the rear 3/4 view.

Power-wise and overall performance-wise, they're about identical.

The biggest difference is going to be the interior and the warranty. Some people ride the C5 interior as low-grade and cheap. There are definately places that I wish they'd spent more money, but overall I really don't mind the inderior at all. It's functional and extremely comfortable. It doesn't have the electronic door handles or other "techno-goodies", but I can honestly do without that.

Definately go for the Z51 option.

Personnlly, I'd go for the Z06. The price difference makes it too difficult to pass up. You won't have the "new" car, but you'll have a lot more cash in your pocket to spend on mods, track days, or buying the wifey something sparkly so she doesn't get mad when you do a burnout in the driveway.

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 or new C6