Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C5 Z06 or new C6

Old 06-04-2006, 05:20 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FILTHY BEAST,Jun 4 2006, 05:57 PM
Anbody have any significant seat time in a C6. Im looking also at the possibility of getting one.
I have been driving my son's new Z51 C6 on and off for the last month. I think it is one fantastic package offering great performance, comfort, and flexibility for a decent price.

The Z51 package is a great deal but the supercar tires are harsh of rough surfaces.. fine on smooth surfaces. If I was ordering I would still get it and just go with a different tire on replacement.

The limited time I have spent in a C5 left me with more the impression of a capable street racer where the C6 is more refined (and more nimble).

In my driving the mileage has been better than my S2000. It is also quieter (until you push hard on the pedal), more comfortable, and has cool features.

Obviously I am sold on the C6 and expect to buy one when I get rid of the S2000.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C6 all the way! It's newer, improved in many aspects compared to the last generation. Both similar in performances, just a matter of price.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:28 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FILTHY BEAST,Jun 4 2006, 04:46 PM
I was considering not going Z51, just the base suspension, and the new
paddle shift auto tranny, the LT2 package. Im trying to hold it under 50k
I *BELIEVE* that the "paddle shift" 'Vette tranny is a traditional "slushbox" with a torque converter, not the superior "paddle-activated manual" like the Ferrari, VAG/Audi, SMG, etc systems. It's kind of like Acura's Sportshift or Porsche's Tiptronic, an automatic with manually-selected gears, instead of a true manual gearbox.

You may already know this and not care, but I thought I'd point it out just in case.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Jun 4 2006, 07:28 PM
I *BELIEVE* that the "paddle shift" 'Vette tranny is a traditional "slushbox" with a torque converter, not the superior "paddle-activated manual" like the Ferrari, VAG/Audi, SMG, etc systems. It's kind of like Acura's Sportshift or Porsche's Tiptronic, an automatic with manually-selected gears, instead of a true manual gearbox.

You may already know this and not care, but I thought I'd point it out just in case.
That is true but it is supposed to be an excellent transmission. I had a brief test drive in one and liked it.

The only issue with the auto is that it does need the Z51 cooler to be track capable.

I had no real issue with the MT (the shifter is not as good as the S2000 but works OK once you disable the skip shift) and might also consider the AT to placate the spouse.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:50 PM

the z06 may have the slight performance advantage, but not enough to justify it over the c6's looks, interior, and new car warranty. you could mod the c6 to perform like a c5 z06 later on if you decide the performance is not enough.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:03 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack,Jun 4 2006, 08:28 PM

No i didnt know that, but then again i didnt expect it to be as good as something
in BMW or Audi. The people that have em on the Vette forum really like em. As far as i can tell there has been no issues so far.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by FILTHY BEAST,Jun 4 2006, 06:03 PM
No i didnt know that, but then again i didnt expect it to be as good as something
in BMW or Audi. The people that have em on the Vette forum really like em. As far as i can tell there has been no issues so far.
I'll add to this that the auto's are only 1 to 2 tenths slower than the manual trans cars. If you get the Z51 package with the auto I believe it gives you a performance rear gear for better acceleration. Me I have to have the 6 spd with the Z51 package. This gives you almost identical performance to the C5 Z06. I just have to drive both cars and then make my decision but it looks like the C6 Z51 is the best way to go.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by 05S2K,Jun 4 2006, 03:40 PM
Looking to replace my 03 Cobra that I sold and I've decided on a Corvette. I'm entertaining the idea of getting a clean low milage C5 Z06 or a new C6 Vette. The Z06 is actually cheaper and from what I've heard the performance between the two is close with the Z06 being more of a track car. The Z06 is a fixed roof car while the C6 has the removable targa top. The C6 is supposed to be more comfortable although I haven't driven either one so I'll wait to make that determination myself. Which one would you buy???
I suggest visiting www.z06vette.com for some opinions.

Also test drive the cars and choose the one you perfer on an emotional level.

When I purchased my Z06 used, the C6's were already on the lots. The C6, even with Z51 package is a much softer car with more refinement. Ultimately I felt the C5 Z06 was a much more raw and connected experience compared to the almost luxuriously isolated C6. I also much perfered the C5's hardtop look.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 565565,Jun 4 2006, 07:03 PM
I suggest visiting www.z06vette.com for some opinions.

Also test drive the cars and choose the one you perfer on an emotional level.

When I purchased my Z06 used, the C6's were already on the lots. The C6, even with Z51 package is a much softer car with more refinement. Ultimately I felt the C5 Z06 was a much more raw and connected experience compared to the almost luxuriously isolated C6. I also much perfered the C5's hardtop look.
Yup, been there. Thanks for the tip. Do you have any more pics of your car you can post??? That's a sweet looking Z06!!!

I plan to drive both before I make any kind of decision. I'm keeping my S2000 so the removable top isn't much of a "I have to have it item". I found a local 04 Z06 with 9k miles on it, asking price is 38 thou. It's machine silver with an all black interrior. Very clean car. I'm guessing I could probably drive it home for 34 thou, that may be optimistic but who knows.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:48 PM

I picked the C5 Z.

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 or new C6