Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

C&D comparo Boxster S OWN3S the C6 vert

Old 01-30-2005, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean. Before I went to actually plunk down my dollars, it was new Z06 or F355 all the way.

When I got super serious, I sacrificed a bit on performance (vs a base C6) and ended up my 02 NSX for the style, reliability (I hope) and price.

I LUST for the new vette, but I just couldnt buy one myself.

Great car though, no question.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01' date='Jan 30 2005, 07:14 PM
I saw the C6 and Z06 up close at the auto show on Saturday. While, they represent amazing value it shows in fit and finish. The body gaps on the C6 are inexcusable for a 45k+ car. I am not talking about using exotic materials or spending thousands on an interior. I am talking about engineering and assembling body panels. A company such as GM should have these processes down pat at this point. I was very disappointed in it. My wife's first words were, "it just looks kind of cheesy.." (C6 red convertible). The fact she loves the SRT-10 Ram and Gen 2 Viper GTS means she is not anti-american muscle. She specifically wants me to get an American car over another German or Japanese car.

But, the fact is for approx the same money I can get a German or Japanese car (albeit a slower car) that looks and may be more put together. It may be the quality of the vette's assembly is very good, but it doesn't look like it. Since I didn't design it I have to go by what I see. If I'm going to buy a car that looks "kitish" I might as well get the most beautiful modern muscle car the Gen 2 Viper GTS.

Please don't give me the performance over everything argument. If that was true we would all be running Lotus 7 knock-offs. Street cars are compromises. I am not sure I'm ready to compromise this much....

*Reconsidering Z06 purchase*
I agree ,there's a point where the power is unusable and unnecessary for streetuse.I saw an interesting take on that on 5th gear " So now you own your 500hp super car you've always dreamed of,where are you going to drive it".
These cars (new zo6 included are built for the track) only there can you "legally and safely " explore the true potential of these cars.
Even in my new C6 by the time I've hit 3rd I could loose my license.Thats where the line is drawn.What do you want the car to do?Great drop top with visceral driving experience and real road connection S2k want more amenities and a little more punch Porsche Boxster S.Want to be thrown back in your seat with muscle torque C6 and so on.Everything is a compromise its what will fill your needs that counts.Actually the fit and finish on the new c6 is quite good although not porsche or Acura quality.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by archtop' date='Jan 30 2005, 04:58 PM
.Actually the fit and finish on the new c6 is quite good although not porsche or Acura quality.
I thought the fit and finish on the C6, couldn't tell as much on the Z06, was much lower then the S2000 and the S2000 is a much cheaper car. The body panel gaps were out of control. I could almost get my finger in between the hood and the fender...that is really bad. I am not asking for an audi or porsche interior. I understand how you save money, but saving money in design and assembly of body panels is not a place I'm interested in saving money.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01' date='Jan 30 2005, 09:10 PM
I thought the fit and finish on the C6, couldn't tell as much on the Z06, was much lower then the S2000 and the S2000 is a much cheaper car. The body panel gaps were out of control. I could almost get my finger in between the hood and the fender...that is really bad. I am not asking for an audi or porsche interior. I understand how you save money, but saving money in design and assembly of body panels is not a place I'm interested in saving money.
Mine seems pretty good ,maybe slightly wider than my s2k but nothing hideous.The doors sound real solid like a euro car and the windows index to allow them to close more easily. I agree that the car could have a better fit and finish though I'm not sure it matters enough to me to spend the extra 10-15k they would have to charge to do that. Its about dollars and the vette has always been about big hp for little $.If the s2k had even 300hp and 300lb ft torque it would no longer be 30k not to mention $ for amenities like side airbags power seats etc.Want power and great fit and finish you can have it for 80-100k like the Carrera S.
Bottom line is performance costs dollars and when you add fit and finish and amenities the dollars continue to rise.Nobody rides for free.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:46 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Vette is made of fibreglass which expands and contracts more than metal so you will never see the same size gaps as a steel car.

There are two very distict philosophies going on here. The Corvette is all about brute strength with a big American V8, that is by the way almost a full second quicker through the 1/4 mile! Despite giving up over 200lbs...How do you compare these 2 cars?

Also, I'm not really sure if this means anything but.... I have been watching the Barret Jackson auction and it's pretty obvious which car (here in NA) elicits the strongest emotions.
Haven't seen any older Porsche's going across the block for anywhere near the cash the older Vettes are.
I know much of that is because the people buying them now are the people who couldn't afford them back when they were new but... I also saw an early 80's 911 Cab go through for less than 35k? You would think that there had to be some rich .commers there with some kind of nostalgic want?
Old 01-30-2005, 09:10 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Here are a few results from the C&D test:

I'll start with fun-to-drive (that's what I think is most important). They give a possible 25 points (out of 225 max)

Fun-to-drive:
C6 = 22
SRT = 15
SLK = 21
BS = 24

Fitand finish (10 max)
C6 = 8
BS = 9

performance (skidpad etc.)
C6 = 8
BS = 10

Steering feel
C6 = 8
BS = 10

Brake feel
C6 = 8
BS = 10

Handling
C6 = 9
BS = 10

Transmission
C6 = 7
BS = 9

Of course all the engine power/speed results went for the C6
Old 01-30-2005, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry guys, but if you don't think the winner of this test was predetermined (like every other article imo) then I have some real warm winter resort land avilable here.
I could give those same two cars to one hundred different publications and, other than the hard performance data, the results are going to be whatever they want them to be.
Brake feel, steering feel, fun to drive? Wouldn't you vote for the car that has the mirrors with the other car in it on the street or around the track? Maybe all the evaluators were ass guys. Cause that is all they saw of the vette.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:39 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by benny' date='Jan 30 2005, 10:18 AM
Wouldn't you vote for the car that has the mirrors with the other car in it on the street or around the track? Maybe all the evaluators were ass guys. Cause that is all they saw of the vette.
No I wouldn't. Most people wouldn't vote that way either. You'll see just as many people will buy a 991 S as will buy a Z06.

If I was buying a car that would be the fastest race car, then the C6 is best, but if I'm buying a car for what most people buy a car for, to get from point a-b then maybe having a better shifter, or better steering feel or better brakes or better fit and finish or more fun-to-drive, then clearly the BS is the better car (every single review of the BS points out these qualities while every C6 review is about how fast it is)
Old 01-30-2005, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Palmateer' date='Jan 30 2005, 05:56 AM
Mercedes SLK 350 did pretty well.

Wait 'till the 8-cyl SLK 55 hits the comparos
Until MB gets rid of the slush box for the v-8's, some serious potential will be wasted in the smiles catagory.

Sam
Old 01-30-2005, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by benny' date='Jan 30 2005, 10:18 AM
Sorry guys, but if you don't think the winner of this test was predetermined (like every other article imo) then I have some real warm winter resort land avilable here.
To a certain extent, true.

There are [some] magazine/auto associations who usually have predetermined winner. For instance, JD power usually have a few spots open for "buy-in"s. Different car manufacturers will submit a "fee" to get their cars some awards. if they wanted to.

*as seen in financial statements"

Quick Reply: C&D comparo Boxster S OWN3S the C6 vert