Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

buying new car to replace totaled s2000

Old 02-18-2007, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying new car to replace totaled s2000

Wassup i lost my '01 s2k in an engine fire 2 weeks ago and now need to replace my baby (it'll never get replaced - berlina black with red interior - noticed just how rare those are just trying to find one).

so i'm at a struggle. i really want my s2k back but maybe this might be a good time to try something else.

i was thinking of an '05 STi but i'm not so sure about the reliablitly. I love how this car pulls like no other. it's more costly and i think the styling is below the s. the interior blows and the fit and finish is nowhere near the level it should be.

I'm also looking at the new civic si coupe but i don't know how i can deal with going from an s2000 down to a civic! i love how it's reliable but it feels weak in comparison to my s2k. but it'll be a new car compared to the other cars i'm looking at (used).

then i tried another s2k and immediately remembered why i love these cars. legendary reliablity. fast accelaration (different than the STi but great nonetheless). Style - this is surely a classic. but then i realized i might want something new...

so basically, if for some reason u can't get an s2k, what car would u get instead??

Old 02-18-2007, 09:21 AM

if I had to replace the s2k, the main cars I would probably consider would be an E46 M3 convertible or a Z4. I might also think about:

987 Boxster: a lil pricey
SLK: a lil pricey, and not as sporty
335i convertible: see SLK (but at least its more practical)
350Z: I would stick with the hardtop, even though I like having a convertible
Sky Redline: I really don't like how you have to get out of the car to fold the roof

if you don't already have a daily driver, I would actually go with an M3 or 335 convertible, but otherwise, Boxster or Z4
Old 02-18-2007, 09:22 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Depends, have your needs changed (baby, work so therefore need more space for clients or a truck, etc)? Have your tastes change (want a hardtop, want more luxury, something with more straightline power, etc)? Has your financial situation changed (therefore can dip into more higher end market such as the Porsche Cayman, Corvette, etc)? If you say no to all of these questions, you're probably better off with your first decision which was the S since you've already put yourself through this process before; getting something for the sake of change usually ends up in regret.
I know, people always say didn't you have that before? Logically it makes more sense to stick to what works rather than changing cars just to say you owned xyz. Granted when you bought your S (assuming you bought it new) there wasn't an STI, EVO, 350Z, etc but I'm sure you've driven or thought about them while you owned your S and if they compelled you enough you would've bought or already decided to buy it already.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:15 AM

If you want a convert: 2000 Porsche Boxster S

I you need 4 seats but willing to sacrifice ragtop: Mazda RX-8
Old 02-18-2007, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STI
Old 02-18-2007, 11:09 AM

Get the Z.
j/k

I agree with the Don Effect. If you were completely satisfied with the S, get another one. Or atleast have it be the default. Go test drive the others, and if you aren't completely blown away by any of them, get another S...if you are blown away...well.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reliability on the STI is very good.

Of course if you can get anohter S2000 there is just no replacement.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:31 PM

Sounds like you haven't gotten enough of the S2000. Get another one!
Old 02-18-2007, 02:07 PM

evo
Old 02-18-2007, 02:38 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

no idea what $ you are looking for, # of seats, etc.... but... i can't even imagine getting a Civic Si after driving an S2000.... you will be horribly disappointed..... FWD, slower, worse handling, etcc... blaaaa

I would say an EVO or STI make for great performance cars that do everything... go through bad weather, haul people, haul ass, do well on the road course, are easily (and cheap) modified... etc.....

Quick Reply: buying new car to replace totaled s2000