Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Buying my First S2K! Any advice?

Old 06-06-2003, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my First S2K! Any advice?

Hey everybody! (heeeeeeey doctor Nick)

I am finally doing it! Looking for my dream car, my S2000 (which I have been drooling over at the local dealership ever since Freshman year) and now I'm ready to BUY! ALL HAIL CRAPPY JOBS! AND THE MONEY IN WHICH THEY ALLOW US TO ACT LIKE THE FOOLS WE WANT TO BE, but until now, could not afford! haha. SOOOOOOOOoooooooo. I have a pretty general question about the S2k. Are there any MAJOR differences in the model years? I have been trying to research this and found many conflicting stories about whether 2000 had some recalled problems or 2001 made improvements etc... I figure you all may have a better clue on this while it's going to take me months to research every alleged improvement/downside to the various years. So, any help or insight, possibly a website, would be GREATLY appreciated. I may have more money now than I've SEEN in the last 4...ok ok...5 years. (@#$#) but this car is going to be with me for quite some time! So I would just like to make sure I'm not getting into something that like my old "race Honda" broke just in time for payday and amazingly broke to the exact tune of my check...weird. Thanks all I look forward to hearin from ya!
Old 06-06-2003, 01:28 PM

I wish I was in your shoes...I sold my S in Dec. for something "practical" (WHY!? WHY!? WHY!?) and have been missing it ever since. Since you asked, my $.02 worth is that I would not buy a '00 or '01 if you can afford an '02 or '03. For '02, Honda added a glass rear window (which, alone, is worth the extra dough in my opinion), made some changes to the tranny to beef it up and make the shifts smoother, added tweeter speakers, and generally improved the quality of the materials inside. Oh, they also added Suzuka blue and made the red interior all red. I wouldn't pay more than $26k for an '02. You should also be able to find great deals on '03's now that Honda has confirmed the 2.2l motor and other changes (17" wheels I believe) for '04. I would think that you could get an '03 for something in the neighborhood of $29k. Mine was a Sebring/red '02 with 30k miles, and I sold it to Rosenthal Honda for $25k. I couldn't believe they gave me that much for it. Rosenthal, in my opinion, are bastards, though. I bought the car from Fairfax, and they seemed decent. Though I made the deal entirely over the phone. I've also heard good things about Jim Coleman. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2003, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely go to an '02 or newer. The glass rear window is a "big deal", otherwise you'll be working hard to keep your plastic rear clear (and maybe not succeeding, like me).
Old 06-06-2003, 04:40 PM

Get the Monte Carlo Blue. Nice.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:41 PM
Former Moderator

my advice....wait until the 04 comes out and then buy an 03 for peanuts.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:31 PM

My advice is get what you want. The plastic rear window isn't that big of a deal as some have said, Plus, you might get a better price for an '00 or '01. If you rear window is foggy, just get some Meguiar's #10 and #17 to polish it and remove any scratches. Think of all the classic roadsters out there from the past that have plastic rear windows. Mechanically, there's hardly any difference between the model years. I've had my '01 for over two years and absolutely love it.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:51 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Buy new and don't waste this summer.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:41 AM

yeah, now is a good time to buy new. most s2k's are discounted these days due to competition and the proposed '04 improvements. if this is the your dream car, then why would you buy a used one that has been "enjoyed" by others before you?? but if you HAVE to get used, go for the '02+. the main benefits are the glass rear window, tweeters, "improved" tranny, leather covered center console, and aluminum trimming on the door. if you look at the 00-01 and 02-03 interior back to back, the 02-03 interior definitely look a tad nicer.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:56 AM

First of, welcome aboard!

I would recommend you to buy new too. You can get it now around high 29$, only 3-4 thousand away from '02(plus good rate for new car and all). But if you wait till '04 comes out(and winter is approching), you migth be able to get it at low 29$ or even mid to low 28$, but you have to say goodbye to this summer, though.

I wouldn't buy it, if it has plastic rear window, just my .02$. See you around soon, man. BTW, don't forget to visit us in Mid-Atlantic owners section as well!

"Join The Force"
Old 06-07-2003, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by s2000raj
my advice....wait until the 04 comes out and then buy an 03 for peanuts.
What they are making Monte Carlo Blue now???in the states..sweetness

Quick Reply: Buying my First S2K! Any advice?