Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Buying a car out of state, what do i need to take with me?

Old 05-23-2011, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying a car out of state, what do i need to take with me?

I've been searching around the interwebs for good info on what I actually need to be safe while driving a car back from another state to CA. I know when I go to register the car I will need the title or copy of the title, but what about when I'm driving it back. The car will be financed so I won't have the title. I will have proof of insurance and I'm sure I can get some kind of trip permit from CA, but what do I need to actually show proof of ownership? It seems like Bill of Sale is something anyone can fake. Any help would be great.

I don't have the car yet, it's an ebay auction so I don't want to say what it is just yet.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Huge money involved on your end, I'd just treat it like a road trip.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:21 PM

huh? i was wondering if i need to wait for the title to transfer before taking possession of the car? If i have a copy of the title signed over to me do i still need a bill of sale? never bought a used car that i had to finance out of state so i'm not sure how to do it correctly.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:37 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Would get a bill of sale from your state, any necessary DMV forms the seller might need to sign for you to register the car in CA, cashiers check to pay for it and maybe a temp plate/piece of paper to tape up in the rear window for the drive home if the seller is keeping his plates. Not sure who you are getting the loan from but the seller should still sign the title over to you and then you mail it in to the bank or the bank just puts a lien on it.
Old 05-24-2011, 07:39 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Texas has a bill of sale form that you can download from our TXDOT website...

Do yourself a favor and call both Texas and California and find out ahead of time whose rules you have to play by. There is nothing more frustrating than buying a car, taking time off of work to o register it, and then finding out that you can't get it registered because of some mystery form that you didn't know existed. Also, just assume that the buyer is going to disappear off the face of the planet once he has your money so make sure you do it right the first time.

Here is the form that constitutes a bill of sale in Texas:
http://www.txdot.gov/txdoteforms/Get...vletConfig.xml
For buying a used vehicle in Texas, all you need is the above form filled out, the title appropriately signed and dated, and proof of insurance. I just did this so I know that to be accurate, though your situation is clearly different.

And just so we're clear, I hear people say many things about registering a car that are not exactly accurate. For instance, when you buy a car you are really doing three things. First, the owner of the car transfers property and ownership to you. Second, you must get the car titled in your name so that the state recognizes that transfer of ownership. Third, you must register the car for use on public roads per the rules in your area. Most people make the mistake of seeing these as being indistinguishable when they are separate.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:47 AM

Thanks guys. Yeah, I am talking to the dmv today. The loan thing is a bit of a challenge it seems too because we both have loans. I will speak to my bank today and see what's the best way to handle that too. You would think by 2011 they would of streamlined this whole process...maybe i'm the only person buying cars across state lines.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kpdx01
Thanks guys. Yeah, I am talking to the dmv today. The loan thing is a bit of a challenge it seems too because we both have loans. I will speak to my bank today and see what's the best way to handle that too. You would think by 2011 they would of streamlined this whole process...maybe i'm the only person buying cars across state lines.
Nah I just bought a 335 from Arkansas 2 weeks ago, live in TX. Was pretty easy as the car was paid off and I have the check to give straight to the seller.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, done this a bunch of times and I live in CA too.

1) The only document you actually need to drive it home is the Bill of Sale. You have 7 days to get the vehicle from where ever you buy it back to California.
2) you should obviously have insurance from the time you pick up the car.
3) Your bank is going to want to see a copy of the title before they lend you money. They will also want to see the registration.
4) If you are buying the car from TX, I believe (don't quote me) that Texas registration goes with the car, so the buyer will likely have the registration with the car when he sells it to you.
5) When you enter CA, you will need to have the car inspected (can do at DMV or AAA), smogged and then when you have title from previous owner, you will title, register and pay taxes in CA.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Anrosphynx
Ok, done this a bunch of times and I live in CA too.

1) The only document you actually need to drive it home is the Bill of Sale. You have 7 days to get the vehicle from where ever you buy it back to California.
2) you should obviously have insurance from the time you pick up the car.
3) Your bank is going to want to see a copy of the title before they lend you money. They will also want to see the registration.
4) If you are buying the car from TX, I believe (don't quote me) that Texas registration goes with the car, so the buyer will likely have the registration with the car when he sells it to you.
5) When you enter CA, you will need to have the car inspected (can do at DMV or AAA), smogged and then when you have title from previous owner, you will title, register and pay taxes in CA.
Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be traveling next week to get it. This is pretty much what i found on my own, but it was annoying searching the interwebs for it. S2ki comes through again!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

And to keep you a bit more at ease, you could get the bill of sale notarized by you and the seller. That would definitely ensure it's legal. Have fun with that monster on the ride home!

Quick Reply: Buying a car out of state, what do i need to take with me?