Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: Which one?
2011 Lotus Evora (stock 276 hp, change of wheels)
64.71%
2011 BMW Z4 Sdrive3.5i with mods (approx 400hp)
35.29%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Buying 3rd car

Old 10-23-2013, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 3rd car

I don't come to the car talk forum much but I'm trying to figure out what I want to do. I'm buying a 2nd car for myself on the weekends and for when I don't have my daughter in the car. I have it narrowed down to two choices. The BMW Z4 and the Lotus Evora. I chose the Evora because in my opinion, it is the most reasonably priced exotic that's out there. (I use the term exotic as you don't see many and they have a MR setup). I originally wanted an R8 but my wife feels that "investing money" is a better idea and that this is a willing compromise. I've also been using my 3rd garage spot to store and sell my friend's 1996 Z3 while he is away. As I've been driving the Z3 every now and then, I find it reminding me of my S2000 which obviously I really enjoyed and I've realized how much I miss a convertible. So I'm also looking at a 6 speed manual Z4 Sdrive35i, since the 35is only comes in a 7speed DCT which can have its issues long term. I also had a 335xi which I modded and really enjoyed, not to mention I have a bunch of spare parts for the N54 motor sitting around so I could mod the Z4 pretty easily. Modding the Evora is not as much of a reasonably priced option nor does it yield much HP.

Please don't recommend other cars than these. I've already evaluated the available cars at this price range the pique my interests. Thanks.

Evora
Top Gear test track time - 01:25.7

PROS:
-Very unique
-Superb handling
-Subtle classiness
-Has a backseat in case my daughter needs to ride in the car (in fact its the only mid engine car to have a back seat)
-Has warranty until September 2014 (compared to Z4, this is a con though)

CONS:
-$10,000 more (money doesn't grow on trees LOL)
-Although it has toyota parts, still much more expensive to service and maintain. (luckily we do have a Lotus dealership and service center here)
-Does not have much for luxuries (no blue tooth, no heated seats, no nav, etc.)
-It has a buy back title due to it being lemon'd for an AC issue that has been supposedly fixed

Z4 twin turbo
Top Gear test track time - 01:28.2

PROS:
-Still pretty uncommon (I'm not set on the yellow color but I like how its very uncharacteristic of a BMW)
-Turbo motor, lots of power, lots of mods (I'm kind of a mod addict)
-Plenty of dealerships and repair centers, could buy certified pre owned giving it a warranty until 2017
-Convertible (hard top at that)
-$10k cheaper (and cheaper insurance by $100/month... The evora was $1250/6 months compared to Audi R8's $1200 and GTR's $850- Unreal!)

CONS:
-It's a BMW, therefore I'm an asshole. Furthermore, it's a yellow BMW, which by that logic: I'm a REALLY BIG asshole.
-No back seat
-More miles than Evora (30k v. 8k)

Evora

Z4
For some reason, the colors in the other pic look really orange-ish but this first pic is the actual color

Old 10-23-2013, 07:43 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 438 Likes on 308 Posts

I'd pick Evora for the reasons you state and the fact the drivetrain will be pretty much bullet proof.

As a bimmer owner, I would say the car that impresses me the least in their lineup is the Z4. I like how it looks but it is not as sporty as it is a cruiser and super expensive for what you get. I'd look used Cayman as the other choice over a Z4, but you don't list it so maybe it is not in your wheelhouse.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:52 AM
Site Moderator
Super Moderator

Received 2,868 Likes on 2,080 Posts

Z4 for the simple fact it's a convertible and I think it's the better buy.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely the Lotus. I like the BMW a lot, but in the back of mind it still screams 'stripper' to me. You won't see many Lotuses (Loti?) on the road and it looks better IMO.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:17 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

This is a very hard choice. I have had a not so secret love for the z4 35i. It is a great car all around. I have been considering getting one for a few years now, but can't seem to walk away from the s2000 just yet. If it was a little lighter, the decision would be easier.
If money wasn't an issue, I would choose the Lotus. They are beautiful, rare and somewhat practical with the back seat. It is small, so small children and luggage is about the only things you can use it for. But like you said, 10k more off the bat, plus an additional 1200 per year for insurance, and a steeper maintenance cost would push me to the BMW.
I could not do the yellow though.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

z4 if you want to keep having to say, yeah it's my wife's car and yeah the chiuhuahua is her's too. My lifted dually is in the shop, i ran over a prius and it got stuck in the wheel well.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:33 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

DO NOT BUY A PRE-2013 Evora. The quality control is absolute shit! 2013 they stepped up.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:34 AM

I've always found the styling of the Evora to be a bit funky. The weird swoopy-ness combined with sharp angles never really did it for me. I just don't think it's a very pretty car. Combine that with the Camry engine, and it's never been a car I've wanted.

I do like the Z4, but it's clearly nowhere close to "exotic" in anyone's book.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by The Gasman
z4 if you want to keep having to say, yeah it's my wife's car and yeah the chiuhuahua is her's too. My lifted dually is in the shop, i ran over a prius and it got stuck in the wheel well.
You know I could beat you to death right? I think if I put some bad ass wheels on there, it would like manlier.

Originally Posted by dc2-2-ap1
This is a very hard choice. I have had a not so secret love for the z4 35i. It is a great car all around. I have been considering getting one for a few years now, but can't seem to walk away from the s2000 just yet. If it was a little lighter, the decision would be easier.
If money wasn't an issue, I would choose the Lotus. They are beautiful, rare and somewhat practical with the back seat. It is small, so small children and luggage is about the only things you can use it for. But like you said, 10k more off the bat, plus an additional 1200 per year for insurance, and a steeper maintenance cost would push me to the BMW.
I could not do the yellow though.
These are all things going through my head. I've never had an MR car and that's the thing that keeps running through my head. I'm not set on the yellow though.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
DO NOT BUY A PRE-2013 Evora. The quality control is absolute shit! 2013 they stepped up.
Well there you go. Let it be known. Let it be heard.

Quick Reply: Buying 3rd car