Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Buying 2nd car, Integra need help quick

Old 05-19-2005, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying 2nd car, Integra need help quick

Hey everybody,

I know a lot of you had Integras before buying your S. I'm seriously considering buying a 94 GS-R from a freind of mine at work. He's an old guy like me (40s) and is the original owner. Always garaged and babied. It has 135,000 miles on it with some minor additions: CAI, header, Eibach springs, stereo system, alarm & kill switch. Recent clutch, timing belt, water pump etc., regularly maintained with records. I'm looking for a second car for running around in and this is a nice one.

He wants $5K for it. Is that a fair price? That's higher than blue book but from what I understand this is normal for Integra GS-Rs. How long do these usually last? It's 11 years old and I guess that's all that's holding me back. I need some assurance from some of you who have owned a GS-R that this thing will last a while.

Thanks Guys!
Markk
Old 05-19-2005, 07:19 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I know nothing about the GS-R market these days, but I had a '97 for 47k miles before I traded it in on the S2000. Awesome car, very fun to drive, and can fit a ton of stuff in the hatch.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:30 AM

I had a 94 GS-R before the S2000. Owned it from new for 9 years. Put 97,000 miles on it. I sold it for $7k around 2 and half years ago. Wish I had kept it

This one sounds reasonable. As its a one owner car you should be ok.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:37 AM

I think that's a little high.

I sold my '96 GS-R Hatch to my mechanic in Feb 04 for $5,000.

99K Miles
AEM CAI/DC Header
ACT Clutch
Lightspeed Springs/Tokico Struts
Lightspeed Short Shift
Type-R Front and Rear Strut Bars
Comptech TypeR Front Air Dam
Clarion Head Unit
Polk Audio Separates
+0 tires (205-50-15s) Bridgestone RE750s w/ <4,000 miles on them

All maintenance since taking ownership in '98 done by him or his shop

IMO - that car will last a while. I had an '88 Prelude that I bought in Nov '94 w/ 79K miles, kept it for 10 years and practically gave it away (sold to a friend for $250) in March '04 w/ 235K miles.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:49 AM

While I can't speak on pricing (that's between you and your friend), my '95 GSR is still running smoothly at 160k miles (although I need a new clutch). If you treat it well, it'll last for a long time.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:18 AM

I sold my 98 integra and got the s2000 because it kept getting stolen and broken in to.

I just sold my 98 earlier this year for 8k, and it was only the LS 65k miles, so 5k for a 94 gsr with that many miles sounds like it might be okay.

- Chris
Old 05-19-2005, 09:27 AM

Sounds pretty good to me.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:36 AM

5K sounds perfectly reasonable to me for that car. as long as it's in good condition!

I know you didn't ask for any opinions on this, but I personally would never buy a car (or any expensive item) from a friend. If that GSR dies on you a week after you hand the check over, then you guys may not remain friends for much longer! It happens!
Old 05-19-2005, 09:44 AM

That's a little high, but not unreasonable. You could probably get a '94 for less, but would you rather save $1000 and buy a car with an unknown history? Plus if you value the mods it looks like a good deal.

GS-R pricing depends on where you live. They bring a premium where I live (FL basically) and in places like CA where that sort of car is popular. You might get one cheaper somewhere in the midwest where everybody wants a pickup.

My '95 GS-R was my wife's car, I was going to sell it when we got her TSX but I just can't bring myself to part with it. It has 142k on the clock on the original clutch, the only repairs that we've had were the cam seals (ordinary) and the brake master cylinder (ditto). Other than that, ordinary maintenance.

I use mine as a beater, I drive it on crappy weather days and when I have to go out of town for work, it's a lot more comfortable on the interstate than an S2000. It's normal for me to get 32 or 33 mpg during highway driving. If you stay at the bottom of the tach it won't use much gas.

It's hard to find a more reliable, fun to drive car for $5k. The only downside is the cost of insurance, our premium on the GS-R is more than our other two cars. That's the effect of ridiculous theft rates and young drivers.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:46 AM

Good point Liebernoodle! But I'm still willing to proceed because I know how this person takes care of his things. I thought I was anal but I think he may have me beat.

Thanks to everyone for their opinions so far.
Markk

Quick Reply: Buying 2nd car, Integra need help quick