Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

buy Evo8 or S2000?

Old 05-10-2003, 12:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you want to have a car that can spank ANYthing on the track, or do you want a car that has good handling, but has a higher chill factor. That's what it comes down to. The EVO wasn't made for people who "can't get over its ugly looks." It is a 100% compromise for all-out performance....and I do mean all-out. The EVO will never bite you in the ass, it is the most predictable and driver-responsive car I have ever driven, period. If you wanna have fun with the S2000 you better know what the hell you're doing, or you're gonna snap yourself into a tree.
I'm just curious how you claim to know what an EVO can do when you don't even own one? "The most predictable and driver responsive car you have ever driven????" I think you need some more experience with cars if that's the case.

Now the S2000 is a fun car driving at 7/10s....but if you wanna hit 9/10 and 10/10 you better be ready to sweat.
Isn't that what it is all about though? When your adrenaline is pumping so hard that your back and brow area are dripping in sweat because you are weaving between cars at 120mph effortlessly listening to 6,500 RPM's.

It has nothing to do with front/rear spring rates, or the fact that the car has no torque either.
Neither does the EVO until the turbo kicks in. How do you think that engine would perform without a turbo on it?

i couldn't care less about convincing you that an EVO can run low 12s with stage 0 + more exhaust goodies.
Because it can't.
Old 05-10-2003, 02:31 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

welp...that concinced me........ actually, there is no chance of getting an evo in the low 12's on stock boost...so you can just admit you were wrong..... same with the handling of the S2000.....

Originally posted by xpander4
ok

an evo can run low 12s on stock boost.....wooot
Old 05-10-2003, 02:34 PM

gas mileage = 18-20mpg with playing.
RPM - 70mph = 3000rpm
Weakest Link - Don't know of any
Shifter Feel - feels fine, relatively short. I did misshift 1 time at dragstrip trying to powershift though, and missed 3rd....
Weight - not noticable the way I have driven the car so far.... very fast
Old 05-10-2003, 03:01 PM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Xpander(edited because I don't want to stoop to his level),

Funny that Scot, who actually OWN an Evo is calling out your bullcrap about an Evo running low 12's on stock boost. You are smoking some serious crack. First of all, the stock clutch would blow up long before you could actually pull off a low 12 second pass on stock boost, which is a crock to begin with. Please show a link of ANYONE running stock boost and running low 12's.

Concerning your childish comments on the quality of my Corvette or C5's in general, you are the one that appears to be seriously uninformed. My car with over 31,000 miles on it has been in the shop ONCE for a faulty brake booster from the factory. A two hour job at the dealership and I've been hauling arse ever since. Oh, I roadrace, autocross, dragrace, streetrace, all day long. My sig indicates a 12.29 at 117.3 mph on street tires with a few bolt-on breathing mods, internally stock motor NA. I've made a hundred passes down the strip, run down HUNDREDS of cars on all the track days I've participated with my engine roaring from 4000 to 6000rpm for 30 minute sessions with no problems whatsoever. Finally, I laugh in your face if you think that a Mitsubishi has the quality, reliability, and build of a newer Corvette. Get a grip.

If I recall correctly, you got ripped hard by a bunch of people when you started getting carried away on what a world-class machine the Evo is. Apparently, you haven't learned your lesson.

Why haven't you bought an Evo already? Oh, you're a retard who is upside down on a lease with your S2000. You sound like a genious all-around, don't you?
Old 05-10-2003, 06:22 PM

I am not going to call anyone names, but I do think Xpander is a bit over the limit about the Evo........ but track times will tell for me.

Originally posted by QUIKAG
Xpander (aka edit),

Old 05-10-2003, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive the cars, then buy the one you like. Who give a friggin rip about what others have to say or think about it? It's going to be your car and as long as you can afford it, go get it. Unless of course you need public acceptance for your decision that is.

I don't drive a car that can spank Corvettes by a long shot (well I could run against one who forgot to plug in 4 out of 8 of the spark plug wires). The bottom line is I like my car, it's fast enough (but of course more speed and power is always welcomed), handles good enough and looks nice enough. It fit my needs, wants and my budget to include the insurance rate.

Just drive as many cars that appeal to you then buy the one you like most. Screw what everyone says (to include myself). If you like it, then that's the one for you... bottom line.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw, that so-called "chill factor", the tach, the cockpit feel, the tight ergonomics is what makes the S2000 everything the EVO isnt. For me, I'd prefer that. I just don't believe any 4 door car (E55, evo, M5, ect ect etc) is a hard edge car because the fact that it has more seats makes the package a compromise that takes away some of that real, sports car feel. This is all my opinion, but I guess I'm a sports car purist. I love the M5 and E55 ect like anyone else, but anyone who makes an uncompromising, impractical, pure sports car will get my business.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw, thanks scot for your analysis of the car, honest and unbiased. Have fun running 13.4's, that's pretty awesome.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by Junk_Turbo420A
You might be surprised about insurance. Let me give you my example. I own three cars. A 98 Eclipse GS, non-turbo, by the books, and a new 2004 WRX. Well for the WRX I pay only $71 more total per 6 months. So owning a new car with turbo isn't exactly an issue to my insurance cost. But if I were to guess a roadster vs awd in the books, I think the S2000 would be more to insure. Also, I have never heard of new S2000 for under $32k. The Evo is invoice low $28k and should be around $29k without the rediculous mark-ups. However both great cars in thier class. You just have to decide where you want to fit in...
got my brand new '03 s2k for 29,500 + taxes, etc..total = 31,500
Old 05-11-2003, 07:21 PM

this whole thread and threads of this nature are useless.

After the first couple of replies you already know what the cars can do, afterwards its just an arguement over preference.

Quick Reply: buy Evo8 or S2000?