Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

buy Evo8 or S2000?

Old 05-10-2003, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Evo does look quite good to me minus the ghey U.S. front.

The Brembos play a huge part in bringing the over 3200 pound Evo to a stop quickly and the twin scroll turbo makes sure you never run out of power at most given speeds. Even without Brembos on an S2000, in proportion to the weight difference of both cars, the S2000's brake performance is on par with the Evo.

There are some that will say that the S2k being N/A is a drawback, it isn't. The response of the engine is very predictable in tight corners or during SCCA type events. Sure, in a straight line even the VTEC kick is no match for the boost from an intercooled turbo but irregardless of what the myths are, turbo powered cars will require more maintenence to upkeep their performance. Perhaps not a whole lot, but more care is involved. Premature detonation on a hot day with a car with boost can be a lot worse than those without F/I. The Evo8 doesn't make infinite boost so it does lose power a bit coming up on redline where as the S2000's engine pulls strong all the way to redline so at peak revs/rpms on both cars, the difference in power is a bit less than at each car's respective "peak hp" point. The Evo has a very torquey engine, which would give it an advantage in stop and go traffic around town.

Don't let people fool you with stats. The Evo has a good amount of HP and torque and has the upper hand during a hard launch versus most cars to include a few V8's. From a highway roll is a different story. Some of the experiences and vids that people have posted does show that the Evo will still pull on the S2k, but not like how a Viper would run a Civic DX. Considering the advantages that the Evo8 has (intercooled turbo, AWD), the S2k can run quite nicely against it (although it'd still lose in an overall speed match).

The 5 speed factor everyone complains about for the Evo is a joke IMHO. The Evo's have been 5 speeds for a long time and they have performed well enough to match up with GTR Skylines on a closed track. The gearing and power of the Evo is matched well with the 5 spd. The AYC and ACD offered in previous Evo's offer performance that allows the driver to push the car to its limit without countersteering, it's quite an odd feeling. At lower speeds, it tends to appear like it is on the borderline of oversteer which most average people are not used to feeling or dealing with.

As far as price... here the Evo sells for an average of 36-40k. I think there's a red and yellow one on island. A year down the line the price may drop but the dealership will bullshit all they want in order to get more than MSRP. This goes for the SRT-4 Neon which sells out the door for 28k (so much for under 20k claim for now). You pay x amount of dollars above MSRP but the depriciation starts at MSRP or below. Dealers always charge "fluff" for all kinds of BS like charging you 300 dollars for detailing your car when it looks like a 20 dollar job done by their own staff and such.

If you want to get a car now, the value is with the S2000 IMO. If you can wait a while, then the Evo8 would be a good deal. I say this only from the standpoint from being in Hawaii. Here they charge crap like shipping fees and such but I know that even at MSRP, they make good amount of money and will try to get you to pay as much fees as possible to get a higher price than list.

I test drove the S2k (and ended up buying one) and never had so much fun in a car in my life. It's stiffer than any other car I've ever driven, revs hard, makes an incredible sound when the engine reaches VTEC range, and the transmission is so easy to deal with on lower speed corners like those found in Solo 2 races. Some said that the potential of the S2000 is poor but it's because it was engineered that well from the factory where most "cheap" or "common" mods don't make a huge impact on performace like they did on cars made 10 years ago.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hyper-X
[B]The Evo does look quite good to me minus the ghey U.S. front.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Performance of the Evo 8 looks spectacular however, it looks like a modified 4 door Mitsu Lancer after being dropped off at Millen Motorsports. I just prefer the styling of the S2000 over it. IMO.

Tan
Old 05-10-2003, 04:04 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Xpander - Give it up man....I don't think there are any Evo's in the 12's (mid 12's is the best I have seen so far with mods anyway) without a boost controller....which voids the warranty............ Most guys are getting decent results by holding 19psi all the way to redline vs it dropping to 16psi in the upper range....

You do sound like a egghead with your "you have no clue" responses....please provide one evo running low 12's with no boost controller......at this point I would have to say you have no clue.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xpander4
[B]

dood you have NO clue what you're talking about.
Old 05-10-2003, 07:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scot
[B]Xpander - Give it up man....I don't think there are any Evo's in the 12's (mid 12's is the best I have seen so far with mods anyway) without a boost controller....which voids the warranty............
Old 05-10-2003, 08:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

lol...he is going to be the first one to do it.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:13 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

No seriously.....convince me!!!!

Originally posted by xpander4

ok dont believe me....i couldn't care less about convincing you that an EVO can run low 12s with stage 0 + more exhaust goodies.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:21 AM

ok

an evo can run low 12s on stock boost.....wooot
Old 05-10-2003, 11:44 AM

Originally posted by Thoe99
Here are some specific questions I'd like to ask for you Evo owners:

1. How is the gas mileage in general for the Evo, city/hwy/combined?

2. What rpm are you at driving 80mph?

3. What would you say is the weakest link, engine/drivetrain-wise?

4. How is the feel of the shifter compared to the S2000?

5. Does the car feel heavy, since its 3200lbs+ (I think)?

6. Is it worth it to have the hood scoop, considering it's an option?
xpander? scot? anyone, please?
Old 05-10-2003, 12:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Thoe99
In general, is it cheaper to insure the S2000 or Evo8?
Do you have an insurance agent for the car you now drive.

Quick Reply: buy Evo8 or S2000?