Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

buy Evo8 or S2000?

Old 05-09-2003, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In reply to your original question, I would buy the s2000. I just recently bought it and was thinking about getting 1) is300 2) rx8 3) evo8 4) s2000 5) sti. I took out the is300 because I was looking for a bit more performance. I took out the rx8 because its a rotory engine and Im still (even after they took out the turbo so the engine would be stable) unsure about the rotory engine. No Sti cuz I just never liked it.

Boiled down to Evo8 and S2000. I took the S2000 over the Evo8 because it was a convertible and chicks love it. The Evo8 is just way to ugly in my book, 4 doors.....no convertible.... S2000 all the way baby!
Old 05-09-2003, 08:12 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

in my opinion, if you just get an S2000 to get chicks you are totally missing the point of the whole car.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by QUIKAG
[B]
My above paragraph is in response to you, Xpander, thinking that an Evo with the boost cranked so the car will run 12's will be a world-class car on the roadcourse.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:39 PM

One thing to keep in mind is the atrocious resale values of Mitsubishi products. There was a thread on here the other day where someone referenced the residual values Mitsubishi was using for leases and after two years they are projecting 52% depreciation and 70% after five years. That's a pretty big hit and could easily put your car loan "underwater" if the car does depreciate like that.

I haven't driven the Evo so I can't comment on how it drives, though xpander4 seems to be a little overly excited about it based on his posts over the past month. It's a great car and all, but it's not the greatest thing on the road. If you've never had a convertible then I say go for the S2000. Nothing like putting the top down on a nice sunny day.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:40 PM

i would have to say go test drive both cars and see what you like.
all of above pointers and opinions are great but i think it all comes down to what you like better driving.
Old 05-09-2003, 09:49 PM

xpander4, you are really coming off as a teenager with your sensless insults. Sure, the Evo can carry a driver down the quarter mile in 13 seconds (or 12, its not that important really). If you want to go street racing in a souped up Lancer, buy the Evo. Rally racing - buy the Evo. If you want a high quality, beautifully built roadster with amazing race car feel that delivers a true sense of being connected to the road (or race track), then the only choice is the S2000. I own an S2000 and have taken an Evo VIII on a rigorous test drive and while the Evo certainly accelerates a bit quicker, it is nowhere near as engaging to drive as the S2000. As QUIKAG stated, the S2000 will be far more rewarding to drive in the hands of someone with driving skill. Additionally, where talking two totally different classes of build quality as I alluded to before.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer the no frills attitude of the S2000. I like working and having to drive with skill to master the car. I like the oversteer and with the S03's at least, I hear the tires start to screech, feel the car start to drift, either back off, or power slid it thorugh nicely. I kinda understand what you are saying xpander but it never just happens all of a sudden, I always feel it coming and adjust accordingly. BTW, for $400, a front sway bar will fix the oversteer should it be too much for someone to handle and make it a really neutral car. Impractical, tight cabin, 6 speed, and perfect ergonomics is why I love this car. Just personal opinion. While the interior and sometimes build quality of GM's are bad, Mitsubishi's are awful too as I had a 1999 Eclipse whose turbo's and tranny failed. The EVO is definately a faster car, and more tuneable for sure due to the turbo ect. I'm in the process of getting cjb80's turbo and at 6-8psi I'll have 300-330 whp. I do not want any more because a mid 12 sec car is disgusting enough. If I really wanted power from this car, I'd rebuild the engine and have 400whp easy @20psi. It's not all about speed and hp........For some people, the S2000 is the perfect driver's car because of its lack of driver's aids (traction control, AWD, needless options and luxuries), and that blood pumping feeling is definately a good thing. If you want the practicality, more room, doors, awd ect, get the evo because it is awesome. I know people compare them because they are both similarly priced high performance cars but I don not put them anywhere near each other. For me, they are two completely different cars, different purpose, different target market, different everything, it should be an easy choice depending on your needs..........
Old 05-09-2003, 10:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're talking pure speed and hp (which is why you buy a Corvette for the most part), his "shitty" corvette runs a 12.29 w/out FI. That's pretty impressive IMO. If he wanted speed and luxury he probably would have picked an M3. The insult on his car and him for no reason is very strange and random. Please dont even try to say Mitsubishi's are well-built, high quality cars. Once again, you buy the car for its hp, rally history, ect ect, not because its such a high quality car. Same goes for the Vette, awesome car, you cant take that away, with a less than great interior ect. You are one excited dude xpander, the answer to this guys question is....................DRIVE THEM BOTH, it's that easy
Old 05-09-2003, 11:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s9000
[B]If you want a high quality, beautifully built roadster with amazing race car feel that delivers a true sense of being connected to the road (or race track), then the only choice is the S2000.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:59 PM

Here are some specific questions I'd like to ask for you Evo owners:

1. How is the gas mileage in general for the Evo, city/hwy/combined?

2. What rpm are you at driving 80mph?

3. What would you say is the weakest link, engine/drivetrain-wise?

4. How is the feel of the shifter compared to the S2000?

5. Does the car feel heavy, since its 3200lbs+ (I think)?

6. Is it worth it to have the hood scoop, considering it's an option?

Quick Reply: buy Evo8 or S2000?