Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Business idea - Manual Tranny's into current supercars..?

Old 04-09-2014, 09:17 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Dude, Eric Clapton paid around $3,000,000 for his custom 458 Italia. I'm pretty sure if he (or anyone else with that kinda cash) wanted their Italia or (insert other supercar here) with a manual transmission the manufacturer would do it.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
Dude, Eric Clapton paid around $3,000,000 for his custom 458 Italia. I'm pretty sure if he (or anyone else with that kinda cash) wanted their Italia or (insert other supercar here) with a manual transmission the manufacturer would do it.
I heard he wanted it with a V12, but Ferrari wouldn't build it with a V12 for him
Old 04-09-2014, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They've changed the layout of some of these cars to where a shift cable would have to stretch for a long ways to make shift. The transmission is at the very back of the motor/car on the 458 Italia. I'm sure the clutch and gear lever could be tuned for feel, but essentially, it would be a gaming stick with hardly any feedback from the gearbox. Might as well be a sequential shift dogbox-like lever action rather than a H-pattern.

sequential shifter action like the Quaife QKE9E for the Lotus Elise/Exige would be fun in many cars but a bit racey for most yuppies I'd bet.
http://quaife.co.uk/shop/search/resu...xonomy%253A619

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxM7Qaywu6A[/media]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxM7Qaywu6A
Old 04-09-2014, 12:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clawhammer
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k' timestamp='1397063860' post='23104986
I heard he wanted it with a V12, but Ferrari wouldn't build it with a V12 for him
Right, well the point is... if you're willing to shell out 10 times retail price for a custom car, then you already have someone willing to do a transmission swap for you - IF it's even possible that is.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:48 PM

If buyers actually wanted a 6 or 7 speed, the factory would offer it.
But buyers have spoken with their wallets, and the factories have responded.

So yeah. Horrible business idea.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:11 PM

I think part of and maybe even most of the reason behind so many cars going from manual to prodominantly auto, is for performance #s. Another part would be warranty, some of it might even be fuel economy, the other large part is sales (giving the customer what they want). I've seen some threads about people complaining how they can't ever hit the factory performance numbers(shifting and launching is the reason). Now it's easier than ever with launch control and a flapper. A good transmission now allows for better gearing in all situations (7spd 8spd) The 1-2 shift that often kills many 0-60 times is now not a factor with a good smg/dsg etc. 0-60 in under 4 seconds doesn't require as much HP and torque now b/c your first gear doesn't have to go up to 62mph.

If a manual transmission was the way to go, Pro race teams all over the world would be using them. they're not.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:45 PM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by berny2435
I think part of and maybe even most of the reason behind so many cars going from manual to prodominantly auto, is for performance #s. Another part would be warranty, some of it might even be fuel economy, the other large part is sales (giving the customer what they want). I've seen some threads about people complaining how they can't ever hit the factory performance numbers(shifting and launching is the reason). Now it's easier than ever with launch control and a flapper. A good transmission now allows for better gearing in all situations (7spd 8spd) The 1-2 shift that often kills many 0-60 times is now not a factor with a good smg/dsg etc. 0-60 in under 4 seconds doesn't require as much HP and torque now b/c your first gear doesn't have to go up to 62mph.

If a manual transmission was the way to go, Pro race teams all over the world would be using them. they're not.
The thing is, driving a car (outside of race/competition scenarios) is not all about getting every ounce of performance you can. Speaking personally, I enjoy shifting gears for myself because its an additional control point between the driver and the vehicle. I don't disagree that the new automatics are quicker and get better gas mileage than manual, but no one will ever convince me that an automatic (with or without flappy paddles) is as engaging to drive as a manual.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
Originally Posted by berny2435' timestamp='1397077919' post='23105395

The thing is, driving a car (outside of race/competition scenarios) is not all about getting every ounce of performance you can. Speaking personally, I enjoy shifting gears for myself because its an additional control point between the driver and the vehicle. I don't disagree that the new automatics are quicker and get better gas mileage than manual, but no one will ever convince me that an automatic (with or without flappy paddles) is as engaging to drive as a manual.
What I've found is that I prefer a manual transmission on public roads while on a racetrack I found shifting gears highly annoying. I would have preferred a DCT on the track - less to think about and easier to focus on driving the car.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:28 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Originally Posted by NuncoStr8
Originally Posted by zdave87' timestamp='1397007062' post='23103999
[quote name='Scot' timestamp='1396987170' post='23103503']
Since GTR's, Ferrari, Lambo and some other big names are going all dual clutch...... is it possible to take a 458 Ferrari and swap trannys out for a 6 speed manual and add the clutch pedal? I remember someone in my high school doing that to a SAAB and I am sure other people have too.... how much would it cost? what tranny would work.... is there somewhere that already does this?

I cannot imagine driving a F458 with stupid paddle shifters.....

Just tosh'in it out there...
Why not add a drum brake swap as well?
Because you are likely the only person in the world who would want drum brakes on a supercar, maybe?
[/quote]

Why would you want to bring old tech into a new 2014/15 car? You want to carb that engine as well? How about an AM radio as well?
Old 04-09-2014, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kenny_Stang
Originally Posted by berny2435' timestamp='1397077919' post='23105395

There's probably some people that can't shift a manual worth crap. They'd rather have a SMG in s sports car. A manual would be cumbersome to them and they'd not want that car just bc it had no option for SMG. I couldn't imagine crunching gears in a 500hp 911 turbo. I'd probably throw up. Then crap my pants after the dealer charges me for an oil change.

Some people like you and I want the manual. more fun

Some people are showman. It's there 3rd car, cruiser. Not needed. They can swallow the pride b/c they have mutliple nice cars and romp a sub 4 second 0-60 time and time again while drinking a coke.

some people just have to be faster than the next guy. The SMG allows that in certain situations. Many serious drag racers that go to the strip will swap out manuals for autos.

I've talked to groups of guys that had vipers with superchargers and turbo chargers. How'd they get there? they just had to be faster than everyone else. Pretty sure people have purchased the GTR just bc they are now the fastest of all their buddies without even trying.. .

Quick Reply: Business idea - Manual Tranny's into current supercars..?