Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Bugatti Veyron: 253mph...

Old 10-09-2005, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need a high cD to safely go fast. You do need to ensure that there is no lift though and downforce is usually a good thing. Most additions of downforce also increase the cD. I'm sure the wing on the Veryon adds to the cD when it is deployed.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by twohoos,Oct 8 2005, 09:19 PM
- BAR Honda is using their ~1000hp 3.0L V10 F1 car to *try* to get to 250mph at Bonneville; the Bugatti is warranted and emissions-legal, and will hardly break a sweat doing it
The Veyron is certainly a monster, but please don't bring a Formula One car into this. F1 cars have aerodynamics of a brick wall, and even though they have V10, their displacements are tiny, while the Veyron has much better aerodynamics and a jet-like engine. Let see a Veyron corners as well as an F1. The point is, don't compare two totally different cars. A Veyron can certainly be compared to a McClaren, but don't bring an F1 into this and say it "sweats" just to get to a certain speed. People have no perceptions of things.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:50 PM

You might as well compare it to the Top Fuels that can go 330+ mph in a matter of seconds. Again, two totally different cars. If a car has enough horsepower and decent aerodynamics, it will go fast.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:31 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 311 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple_sky,Oct 9 2005, 03:45 PM
The Veyron is certainly a monster, but please don't bring a Formula One car into this. F1 cars have aerodynamics of a brick wall, and even though they have V10, their displacements are tiny, while the Veyron has much better aerodynamics and a jet-like engine. Let see a Veyron corners as well as an F1. The point is, don't compare two totally different cars. A Veyron can certainly be compared to a McClaren, but don't bring an F1 into this and say it "sweats" just to get to a certain speed. People have no perceptions of things.
Believe me, I have a perception of such things, and if you don't appreciate the Veyron, it's you who've lost perspective.

There just aren't many "real" cars that can get to 250+ and still have even a theoretical semblance of functionality at lower speeds. What are our choices? Top Fuel cars hit 330+ -- for a couple tenths of second. Bonneville-style land-speed record cars go even faster in a straight line for a longer time and distance, but also need paracutes to slow down and a crew to turn it around to go the other direction.

Other than those specialties, the only other cars that can approach 250 and also stop, turn, run for 20 minutes or more, etc., are F1 and IRL/Champ cars (and the latter need special fuel). And even those would require special trim and effort to be able to get to 250... Have they ever even done it? I remember Little Al and Emmo were hitting 245mph on the straights in qualifying for the '94 Indy 500 with their cheater Mercedes motors (which were later banned)... There was also a recent attempt at a closed-course record in an IndyCar I think... But don't imply that because they're race cars that have to turn, they aren't trying to go as fast as they can -- if they could go 250 at Indy or Monza they would.

Meanwhile, the Veyron trundles along at a GOVERNED 253mph, immediately after which you can drive it to the grocery for a snack.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with purple sky here. I just think that the Veyron's displacement and quad turbos kind of change the power curve enough to set it off from a formula one car.

All things twohoos said were true, it's just that the two things should not be compared. Apples are better than oranges because you can eat the skin; oranges are better because they are pre-sliced. Separate purposes.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:44 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I read about the car in Car and Driver. Just an amazing machine.

My favorite aspect of the car is the suspension. You can push a button and put the car in three different modes....one of the three being top speed mode where the car loses any fender gap and hunkers down two inches...raises the wing in back slightly....off to 250 mph you go!!!
Old 10-17-2005, 12:37 PM

what's the mpg when you are running at 250 mph?
Old 10-17-2005, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Purple_sky,Oct 9 2005, 05:45 PM
Old 10-17-2005, 12:56 PM

I've gone 130+ MPH and have no desire to go that fast again, let alone faster. there is no point.

for me, it's all about handling. enough torque and HP to make it fun, but I'd be very very surprised if that Veryon is anywhere near as tossable as "lesser" cars.

a McLaren F1 apparently has a "perfect" balance of HP and predictable handling. I wonder how the aforementioned Bugatti stacks up.

even still, it's such a large car that I can't imagine it'd be much fun on a twisty mountain backroad (such as in the Santa Cruz mountains south of SF... mecca for W. Coast sportscar + sportbike riders)
Old 10-17-2005, 01:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tritium_pie,Oct 17 2005, 12:56 PM
I've gone 130+ MPH and have no desire to go that fast again, let alone faster. there is no point.

for me, it's all about handling. enough torque and HP to make it fun, but I'd be very very surprised if that Veryon is anywhere near as tossable as "lesser" cars.

a McLaren F1 apparently has a "perfect" balance of HP and predictable handling. I wonder how the aforementioned Bugatti stacks up.

even still, it's such a large car that I can't imagine it'd be much fun on a twisty mountain backroad (such as in the Santa Cruz mountains south of SF... mecca for W. Coast sportscar + sportbike riders)
Good point about having balance and not going faster. It's dangerous and you wont hit top speed often. But I am sure just doing it once would be great (then you can sell the car and make a profit).

In terms of handling of the Bugatti. I read that they were trying to make the car pull the highest lateral G- which would be in excess of 1.05 G's. With the downforce of that car + the massive tires and advanced suspension, it shouldnt be difficult to out-handle the f1.

Quick Reply: Bugatti Veyron: 253mph...