Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Buffet says all cars will be electric in 20yrs

Old 12-02-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltswb,Dec 2 2009, 04:25 AM
Continuing on that thought. I DD my S2000 and still only put about 6,000 miles a year on it. I guarantee you most Elise owners put less. But lets say they drive between 6,000 to 10,000 a year. Then it would take them 60 to 100 years to drive the 600,000 miles necessary to make up the difference in price. Conversely, if you took that $60,000 and invested it for 60 years in a conservative account making 3% interest, then you would make $292,000 in interest. So, tell me again how the Tesla is cheaper to own.
yes, the roadster is too expensive, but the model s sedan will cost $50,000, and they are making an even cheaper sedan with a target price of $20,000-30,000. if these sedans can also achieve around 2 cents per mile, then you would save a lot. the average american commutes 30-60 miles round trip every day, so we're talking about a huge improvement. also, in my initial post, notice i said DDing a MODEL S AND NOT A ROADSTER while keeping my s2k for weekends would be ideal.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:44 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Also, what's his play on electric cars? There's gonna be a ton of companies with a ton of different approaches and therefore patents on how to build one, how do you pick a winner? I mean just liek at hybrid tech, honda and toyota do it almost completely differently. It's like saying go long on DVDs back in its infancy, then came blu ray and HDDVD, and I'm sure something newer will inevitably come out.
Or maybe people will get burnt out on the whole green movement thing and embrace clean diesel, just like how all those gold investors are gonna be burnt out once the dollar gets stronger again. Not to mention that the largest players are already the usual suspects like toyota. So growing market yes, but it's not going to add on to sales but replace sales, sales that the big auto companies are going to try and keep in house, not like how the PC or cell phone added another item to the list of household necessities. People won't buy their usual car and then add an electric car, unless of course the cost is crazy cheaper than a comparably equipped car.
I mean, this isn't the first time the US went through an oil obsession which lead to innovations in electric motors, the electric car idea isn't exaclty a new one either. I mean, peopel already complain about their utility bills and not wanting a coal/nuclear plant anywhere near their city, people may start to build those bridges connecting electric cars= power plants. Solar may be a better play in that regard, but that hinges on people's continued green movement obsession.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDonEffect,Dec 2 2009, 11:44 AM
Also, what's his play on electric cars? There's gonna be a ton of companies with a ton of different approaches and therefore patents on how to build one, how do you pick a winner? I mean just liek at hybrid tech, honda and toyota do it almost completely differently. It's like saying go long on DVDs back in its infancy, then came blu ray and HDDVD, and I'm sure something newer will inevitably come out.
Or maybe people will get burnt out on the whole green movement thing and embrace clean diesel, just like how all those gold investors are gonna be burnt out once the dollar gets stronger again. Not to mention that the largest players are already the usual suspects like toyota. So growing market yes, but it's not going to add on to sales but replace sales, sales that the big auto companies are going to try and keep in house, not like how the PC or cell phone added another item to the list of household necessities. People won't buy their usual car and then add an electric car, unless of course the cost is crazy cheaper than a comparably equipped car.
I mean, this isn't the first time the US went through an oil obsession which lead to innovations in electric motors, the electric car idea isn't exaclty a new one either. I mean, peopel already complain about their utility bills and not wanting a coal/nuclear plant anywhere near their city, people may start to build those bridges connecting electric cars= power plants. Solar may be a better play in that regard, but that hinges on people's continued green movement obsession.
IF the dollar gets stronger again...
Old 12-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Dec 2 2009, 06:01 AM
You're obviously a big fan of the Chinese government and their huge reserves.
No, I'm not a fan of the Chinese government; hate them actually. But after having read countless of Times and other financial articles about the Chinese government's financial strength, I have an idea of how loaded its government is.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:23 PM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by curiouz_G,Dec 2 2009, 12:39 PM
IF the dollar gets stronger again...
Oh yee of little faith.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At this time electric cars are more expensive or less practical compared to ICE powered cars. Also, we still burn to get electricity. But in few years, we will see more clean power sources, cars will be cheaper and batteries will be better.
Still the Tesla roadster is a good electric car (talking today), imagine after 20 years. So, I think we will see a lot of electric car in the near future.
If it possible to have a Tesla here, I would buy it not because it is clean, because it is electric