Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Budget of $120k, what car would you get?

Old 08-07-2013, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seen a couple of those C63 AMG black series out here in Scottsdale. So hot. Sound so good.

Gotta get rid of the ridiculous wing that comes on some of them though. It looks ricer. might as well be a full blown APR GT200 wing with all those big flares and DTM accents.

http://www.automobilesreview.com/aut...t-video/34236/
Old 08-07-2013, 02:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can shell out an extra $100k you can get a McLaren mp4-12c
Old 08-07-2013, 03:19 PM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by berny2435
oh god!
· 15,303 miles at Lujack Porsche 4/4/2013: Replaced 4 Tire Pressure Monitors: $1,316.81

WOWSA!
http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/

This guy got raped pretty good by the dealer. You could get new OEM sensors for about half that, and there is at least one company making cheaper replacements. The price is crazy because you replace the whole sensor (not just a battery) every 4 or 5 years, unless you want to look at the dash warning forever. Makes me glad my car doesn't have tpms, it was optional in 2006.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:19 PM

oh god!
· 15,303 miles at Lujack Porsche 4/4/2013: Replaced 4 Tire Pressure Monitors: $1,316.81

WOWSA!
http://germancarsforsaleblog.com/

This guy got raped pretty good by the dealer. You could get new OEM sensors for about half that, and there is at least one company making cheaper replacements. The price is crazy because you replace the whole sensor (not just a battery) every 4 or 5 years, unless you want to look at the dash warning forever. Makes me glad my car doesn't have tpms, it was optional in 2006.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:27 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig
The price is crazy because you replace the whole sensor (not just a battery) every 4 or 5 years, unless you want to look at the dash warning forever. Makes me glad my car doesn't have tpms, it was optional in 2006.
TPMS is biggest nothing waste IMO, especially on a sports car. More stuff to break, I question the accuracy, and whatever happened to just checking the pressure manually?
Old 08-08-2013, 07:37 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

haha, the entire sensor/battery is about $45/wheel on the Vette and it lasts 4-5 years pretty easily. Can't believe the BS prices Porsche charges.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:09 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

Seen a couple of those C63 AMG black series out here in Scottsdale. So hot. Sound so good.

Gotta get rid of the ridiculous wing that comes on some of them though. It looks ricer. might as well be a full blown APR GT200 wing with all those big flares and DTM accents.

http://www.automobilesreview.com/aut...t-video/34236/
The aerodynamic work involving the wing and front canards are optional.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol
TPMS is biggest nothing waste IMO, especially on a sports car. More stuff to break, I question the accuracy, and whatever happened to just checking the pressure manually?
It can be useful. I don't have it on either one of my sports cars, but we had it in the TL (now sold). Accuracy was never an issue when I compared it to a tire gauge. I think the data would be interesting at a track day, to get real-time data as the tires heat up. As is, you have to check pressures back at the paddock after each session, but that's usually after a cool down lap.

Of course, there's always mention of the fairer sex. My wife failed to notice a flat rear tire on the S2000 a few months back. She drove far enough on it to wear deep grooves into the collapsed sidewall, although she swears it couldn't have been more than a couple of miles that day. (I don't know how you can miss a flat tire driving that car, but that's another story.) Thank god it didn't fail, and she didn't hurt the rim. A TPMS warning would have forced her to check it out (or at least call me and ask what to do).
Old 08-30-2013, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would personally get an Aston Vantage, but that's because I love the Vantages. I don't care that it's not the most raw, or the fastest or the flashiest. It's design, both inside and out, is amazing to me. The GT-ish aspect of the car would be a plus for me since it would be street driven.
From what I've gathered on the R8, it's very GT-ish also, which is the main reason many buy it over it's Lambo cousin, so likely not what you're looking for. And I'm not a huge fan of the current Lambos. The last one I liked was the Murc, as heavy as it was, it appeals to me more than the current offerings.

With that said, and seeing as you want a more sport-centric car, I'd go with either a Viper ACR/ACR-X or the new Viper or new Vette. The ACR/ACR-X would be at the top of this list for me. I can take it for weekend drives, but it would spend most of its time on the track.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:35 AM

Received 121 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by JSR_AP2
I would personally get an Aston Vantage, but that's because I love the Vantages. I don't care that it's not the most raw, or the fastest or the flashiest. It's design, both inside and out, is amazing to me. The GT-ish aspect of the car would be a plus for me since it would be street driven.
Vantage is high on my list for next cars. There's always a faster car, hotter chick, fatter wallet... You'll never be happy if you are chasing a dollar crown.

Vantage is kind of small though; good or bad. DB9 is nice too, but even that one is kind of small. Vantage V12 must be incredible.

Must say that the new Boxster is a real head turner. A loaded S was parked near my parents' house a few weeks ago. Wow! Will its appeal still be as hot one 3-4 years into production? Only time will tell.

Quick Reply: Budget of $120k, what car would you get?