Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Budget of $120k, what car would you get?

Old 07-23-2013, 06:22 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mchi5
so let's hear them...what would you buy? new, old, used it's all good.
If one of these came on the market, I'd think it might slip under the $120K mark. Slower -- much -- than a Ferrari, but I just think of looking out over those fenders on a dawn misty drive on a meandering two-lane...

Old 07-23-2013, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S
Originally Posted by mchi5' timestamp='1374549412' post='22681364
[quote name='s.hasan546' timestamp='1374548855' post='22681347']
[quote name='Chris S' timestamp='1374545186' post='22681270']
(and I'd be lying if I said that my personal finances are perfectly optimized, I've wasted a lot of money on my car, tracking, and motorcycle hobbies over the years.
& there saving/investing has its' issues as well. Investing is never as safe as we hope. return vs. risk is hard to gauge. You can save your whole life & just work (my father) and than by the time you are financially very well off, you can't even enjoy it as much. Enjoying your money young is different from enjoying it at 60+
I can't imaging waiting till I'm 60 to buy and drive the GT3 RS. Not only will it be a totally different experience but ill look weird driving it at that age
[/quote]

Actually, you'd have fit right in w/ some GT3 owners I was hanging out w/ @ a recent PCA event. There were 3 in my run group, they were pretty much all retired. (though to be fair I also know several younger GT3 owners). One thing I've learned in my 5+ years as a PCA member is that attraction to Porsches has no age boundaries, but advancing age makes indulging in that attraction easier for most enthusiasts.
[/quote]

I mean don't want to be like a stereotype about being over 50 and finally owning a Porsche or Ferrari. glad I got my first Porsche at 28 years old (Boxster S)
Old 07-23-2013, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by tiger1964
Originally Posted by mchi5' timestamp='1374281196' post='22676620

so let's hear them...what would you buy? new, old, used it's all good.
If one of these came on the market, I'd think it might slip under the $120K mark. Slower -- much -- than a Ferrari, but I just think of looking out over those fenders on a dawn misty drive on a meandering two-lane...

Thanks, but I prefer not to be driving a rolling penis on wheels!
Old 07-23-2013, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by tiger1964

Old 07-23-2013, 07:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At a budget of 120k, you already own the car I would choose...the GT3 RS.

Because of that, I would be looking for something to compliment the gt3. The gt3 (I would imagine) is high strung, knife edge handling, very mechanical.

The compliment of this would be something with lots of low end grunt, a great engine note, maybe automatic/dual clutch.

It echos what other's in this thread have already said, but I would be looking at

C63 AMG Black
Maserati Granturismo
Aston Martin
Jag F-Type
Nissan GT-R

I suppose a used SLS AMG is just out of this price range.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by mchi5
Originally Posted by Chris S' timestamp='1374585568' post='22681914
[quote name='mchi5' timestamp='1374549412' post='22681364']
(and I'd be lying if I said that my personal finances are perfectly optimized, I've wasted a lot of money on my car, tracking, and motorcycle hobbies over the years.
& there saving/investing has its' issues as well. Investing is never as safe as we hope. return vs. risk is hard to gauge. You can save your whole life & just work (my father) and than by the time you are financially very well off, you can't even enjoy it as much. Enjoying your money young is different from enjoying it at 60+
I can't imaging waiting till I'm 60 to buy and drive the GT3 RS. Not only will it be a totally different experience but ill look weird driving it at that age
[/quote]

Actually, you'd have fit right in w/ some GT3 owners I was hanging out w/ @ a recent PCA event. There were 3 in my run group, they were pretty much all retired. (though to be fair I also know several younger GT3 owners). One thing I've learned in my 5+ years as a PCA member is that attraction to Porsches has no age boundaries, but advancing age makes indulging in that attraction easier for most enthusiasts.
[/quote]

I mean don't want to be like a stereotype about being over 50 and finally owning a Porsche or Ferrari. glad I got my first Porsche at 28 years old (Boxster S)
[/quote]

Yeah, those guys who can't afford a Porsche or Ferrari until they're over 50 are losers. Whatever you end up buying, you should probably put your age on your vanity plate so everyone who's not on S2ki will know how awesome you are.

Young guy with tons of money and no decorum. Speaking of stereotypes...

LOL.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:26 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8
Yeah, those guys who can't afford a Porsche or Ferrari until they're over 50 are losers. Whatever you end up buying, you should probably put your age on your vanity plate so everyone who's not on S2ki will know how awesome you are.

LOL.
Who ever said anything like that

It's just different from being able to enjoy your money young than when you are much older/retired. You have much greater responsibilities and different priorities at that stage in your life. If i work like my father (which i probably will) by the time ill be 60 I'll be too busy with work to enjoy most of my money. Shit even now i work 70-80 hours a week and travel a decent amount. I never have time to enjoy my cars.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8
Originally Posted by mchi5' timestamp='1374590007' post='22682059
[quote name='Chris S' timestamp='1374585568' post='22681914']
[quote name='mchi5' timestamp='1374549412' post='22681364']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL.
[/quote]

Sorry if there is any misunderstanding. I never said being older and owning a Porsche or Ferrari is bad. I just meant if I can afford it a bit younger I don't want to wait until I'm older I rather enjoy it now.

But if you want to go down this road I can talk about how I went to 12 years of school and training after high school to get where I am. Drove a beater the whole time and lived on a Ramen noodle diet because too poor. But I'm not going to go there...
Old 07-23-2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Originally Posted by i_heart_my_DB8' timestamp='1374593082' post='22682192

LOL.
Who ever said anything like that

It's just different from being able to enjoy your money young than when you are much older/retired. You have much greater responsibilities and different priorities at that stage in your life. If i work like my father (which i probably will) by the time ill be 60 I'll be too busy with work to enjoy most of my money. Shit even now i work 70-80 hours a week and travel a decent amount. I never have time to enjoy my cars.
Exactly. You can't take your money with you when you die
Old 07-23-2013, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by humbucker87
At a budget of 120k, you already own the car I would choose...the GT3 RS.

Because of that, I would be looking for something to compliment the gt3. The gt3 (I would imagine) is high strung, knife edge handling, very mechanical.

The compliment of this would be something with lots of low end grunt, a great engine note, maybe automatic/dual clutch.

It echos what other's in this thread have already said, but I would be looking at

C63 AMG Black
Maserati Granturismo
Aston Martin
Jag F-Type
Nissan GT-R

I suppose a used SLS AMG is just out of this price range.
I actually thought of the C63 AMG. Love it's sound. Maybe the black series will be in price range soon??

Quick Reply: Budget of $120k, what car would you get?