Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BRZ Review -- After M3/CaymanS/S2000... [VIDEO]

Old 07-08-2013, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After watching the 1st video, then plowing through the word walls that appear when ever someone mentions BRZ or FRS here, I watched the 2nd video.

Your reviews are great, thanks for posting.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:59 AM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

The hate from some people for the BRZ is unwarranted. You seem to think it's not big deal for an automaker to actually build something fun for the common man.

No it's not a Cayman and nor is it as good as one.

Yes it needs more horsepower to truly be a future classic

And stop talking shit about it's reliability. It's no worse than the S2000 was at this point in it's gestation.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:59 PM

The BRZ/FRS is on pace to be a dud in my opinion if they dont update it. I know Subaru doesn't want to do it because it cuts from their other Subaru sales and they can't claim to sell only AWD cars as a selling point.

I could see them supercharging it over turbo on the Scion side. But honestly... S2000 got the AP2 "Type S" originally until the CR/Type S came out later. that was really it update wise and it was left to wilter over 8 years. Let's hope that doesn't happen with these cars, the market is there
Old 07-15-2013, 10:06 PM

ZDan, not every argument I make needs to be taken to the extreme. I think I made reasonable points as to the cheapness, and never claimed the S2000 as a perfect car. I am not demanding a luxury car, or something unearthly heavy. Stop exaggerating. If everyone thought like you, we'd never push the envelope for what to deliver to a customer for their money. There's nothing outrageous about this. I don't see why you defend it like your pride is on the line, Mr. 200mph supercar owner. I see now why you're ok with $25k cars being sub-par for the money now. Oops, did I just exaggerate and assume?

I have probably driven the car for a thousand miles now, in dry, wet, autocross, long distance travel, talked to the community many times, and I'm pretty confident in saying what I'm saying. I'm not trying to kick the car down, I'm just saying it how it is. I have no personal investment in it, but as it was said above, there is so much circlejerk with this car it's insane. It's just a car. It has downsides. It doesn't detract from the benefits I know it has.

Anyway. We were at an 86 dynamic driving event the other day at WSIR where a ton of these cars were just doing a 20 second "course" and figure 8s. Essentially a small gymkhana. As expected, the positives shine through. Great handling dynamics. Planted and predictable. The purpose of the tires was served well here. Lots of tire life to kill and lots of sideways fun. Easy and cheap fun.

Oddly, the cruise control froze on the commute. Like, turned on, but did nothing. Couldn't turn it off. Couldn't set speed. Then a check engine light for fuel pressure. Also, the car has absolutely no balls driving up the mountains to get to LA from Vegas. Almost any other car I've ever taken, rental or my own, all with less peak power (yes I realize they are usually tuned for low to midrange torque), have been fine. I really hope Toyota comes up with their own complete solution someday, because that mashup of engine tech isn't cutting it. It doesn't have to be exceptional or fast, but it should get me up a hill without downshifting to 4th if I have to regain some speed.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:58 PM

Received 281 Likes on 176 Posts

The car's cruise control sucks. It wanders way too much for my comfort level.