Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Break in for new cars/engines?

Old 09-13-2013, 08:09 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Keep in mind black boxes on newer cars and warranty. For insurance purposes (Your warranty) I'd break it in the way the manual states.

I've always set a RPM threshold for the first 100 miles, then upped it 1k RPM's every 100 miles until I hit redline. Vary the RPM's for the first 1k and never let them stay in one place. I'd also let the car completely cool down between break-in runs to heat cycle it.

This was the advice given to me by an ex-AMA tuner that builds engines for a living.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:46 AM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Most engines are broken in at factory anyways. I take it easy for the max first 200-500 miles so the brake pads get broken in properly.... But I beat on it all throughout
Old 09-15-2013, 04:49 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Most engines are broken in at factory anyways. I take it easy for the max first 200-500 miles so the brake pads get broken in properly.... But I beat on it all throughout
Brake pads are best bed with high heat, which doesn't happen being babied.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s.hasan546
Not that I have seen having been in the industry, s.hasan. I'm sure some specialty cars get their engines broken in at the factory, but these are the very rare exceptions rather than the rule. Take the relatively low-volume GT-R, for example; their engines are built in a clean room by master techs and are ALL dynoed (just an engine dyno, mind you, not the chassis dynamometer the mind generally conjures) after assembly and have to meet/exceed certain minimum performance numbers, but that's definitely not general practice.

Actually, even in the case of the GT-R I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped dynoing engines 100% and reduced that to an "audit" percentage, ONCE confidence is established in its manufacturing process, i.e., history shows they've had a perfect record meeting their quality and performance requirements, or at least near-perfect. 100% testing is an added cost to the OEM, after all, supercar-level performance or not.

Generally for a mass-produced vehicle/engine with a mature manufacturing process, the first time an engine runs in any meaningful way is likely when the vehicle is started up and rolls off the end of the assembly line on its own power.

Originally Posted by rob-2
Brake pads are best bed with high heat, which doesn't happen being babied.
Amen. Babied brakes will most probably have the opposite from the desired effect - less stopping power due to glazing, say. Properly bedding in the brakes can be done in a relatively short amount of time (15 minutes, if that?) given a suitable stretch of road:

Google link
Old 09-16-2013, 05:52 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyDeVito
Keep in mind black boxes on newer cars and warranty. For insurance purposes (Your warranty) I'd break it in the way the manual states.

I've always set a RPM threshold for the first 100 miles, then upped it 1k RPM's every 100 miles until I hit redline. Vary the RPM's for the first 1k and never let them stay in one place. I'd also let the car completely cool down between break-in runs to heat cycle it.

This was the advice given to me by an ex-AMA tuner that builds engines for a living.
I'm not sure legally you can have your warranty void for driving your car on public roads in any fashion. Pretty sure there's a law on the books that prevents this.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:52 AM

Received 410 Likes on 305 Posts

Data recording is the new thing and they are going to put them in every car made soon. It's going to have an effect like it or not. Sure you can sue, etc. But have fun with the amount of time that will take, attorney fees, etc.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If the manufacturer has a break-in procedure, you should probably follow it. If they don't, then it probably doesn't matter either way.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:46 AM

I broke my 2008 Si in very hard. I sold the car at around 18,000 miles and never once had an issue. I've never seen a reason to be nice to it. If it's going to break, it will break. Idling around won't prevent it.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also don't prescribe to the "baby it" break in process. I think it is antiquated. I broke in my new motor on the dyno using an engine break in process of partial load pulls and steadily increase the load and the max rpm.

I think part of the reasons new cars have a break in period is to get you use to the car and less about wearing in the motor and setting rings.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by 34witt
I broke my 2008 Si in very hard. I sold the car at around 18,000 miles and never once had an issue. I've never seen a reason to be nice to it. If it's going to break, it will break. Idling around won't prevent it.
I did the same with my 08' Civic si when I bought it new. I took it to a AutoX within the first 1,000 miles I owned it and even before I had plates on it. Changed the oil at 3000 which was before Honda told me to. I think they said 4,500 due to the Engine already being broke in a little from the factory and the car obviously has a oil filter just in case . The factory fill was regular dino 5W-30 and you can switch to synthetic after the first oil change, which I did. But Honda probably doesn't care much for people babying their cars and it's just a hassle to tell the owner, change the oil at 3,000 for the first time and then 4,500 later. It's not a sales point, it's a distraction and stupid people don't react well to things they don't understand.

Newly rebuilt head with new cams? Different story here. Need the proper break lube and oil for this which I wont go into here. the manufacturer of the cams should give you that information.

Quick Reply: Break in for new cars/engines?