Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Break in for new cars/engines?

Old 09-11-2013, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break in for new cars/engines?

Since we have a lot of different members with different levels of experience and different types of cars I figured it'd be an interesting topic.

Years ago when I bought new Jet Skis I found (and applied) this:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

It completely goes against everything in the manufacturer literature and most conventional schools of thought. So - my stock Ultra 250X (1.5L 4/SC) would GPS 71mph. The first time they touched water we ran both HARD for 30 minutes, changed the oil and filters, wash, rinse, repeated the cycle until about the 5th oil change. It was always faster than a friends comparable 250X and kept up with a lot of modded skis with no issues (leaks, burning oil, etc). Since then, it's the advice I prescribe to friends on fresh engine rebuilds and new car buys.

Thoughts?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:22 AM

Wow, I'd love info on this. I might be buying a new car soon. It seems logical, but man I would be weary.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:23 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Flog, once properly warmed up.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:13 PM

I've only ever bought 2 new cars in my life, but I babied them with traditional very low RPM break in for the first 400-500 miles, and then still taking it pretty easy from 500-1000 miles. I did the 1st oil change very early (~500 miles) on each to ensure that any break in debris gets flushed out of the engine.

The first car was a 2000 Honda Prelude. The other car was a 2006 Mistubishi Evo IX. Both of those cars have enginies that are generally considered to be big time oil-burners. But neither of mine ever consumed significant amounts of oil. Am I lucky? Or was it due to meticulous, gradual break in? YMMV.

Andrew
Old 09-11-2013, 02:21 PM

Lots of good info in that article. My $0.02:

Based on previous 10 years experience as an engineer for both a Japanese then an American OEM, first in engine machining and then in engine test, I personally subscribe to the practice of not being afraid of running a new engine hard. Machining, and consequently tolerances, have improved to the point that has made old breaking-in wisdom obsolete. I've personally seen engines dynoed hard fresh from being assembled consistently have higher output than those that were not.

One caveat - what you do want to avoid doing during the "break-in period" is to run the engine for more than a few minutes in any engine speed, that is, don't cruise for a long time; it's detrimental to the piston rings seating properly/quickly. If you're on the highway and want to maintain a certain speed, every few minutes just change between 5th and 6th gear, say, or manually get out of overdrive in an auto.

Basically, for a brand new car - don't be afraid to run it hard. Redlining a car off the lot? Not an issue. Run it hard, change not only your engine oil but your other lubricants early, and don't forget about your brakes - bed them in properly and you won't have to worry about the "brake gently" warnings.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

I subscribe to... new cars have warranties for a reason.... so i do not follow any break in anything....

2008 Trailblazer SS- hit the 130mph speed limiter within the first 150 miles...drove it to 60k miles with the only engine issue was a lose exhaust header at some point
2008 Z06 - smacked rev limiter within the first 50 miles... no troubles in the 7k miles i kept it
2009 ACR Viper - beaten from day one with no issues at the current 12k miles

I think, like a dumbass back when i got my 2000 S2000 new i probably took it easy on it for a little while... not sure why in hindsight... but....

similar to you, it seems like beating on shit early is fine...
Old 09-11-2013, 06:13 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scot
I subscribe to... new cars have warranties for a reason.... so i do not follow any break in anything....

2008 Trailblazer SS- hit the 130mph speed limiter within the first 150 miles...drove it to 60k miles with the only engine issue was a lose exhaust header at some point
2008 Z06 - smacked rev limiter within the first 50 miles... no troubles in the 7k miles i kept it
2009 ACR Viper - beaten from day one with no issues at the current 12k miles

I think, like a dumbass back when i got my 2000 S2000 new i probably took it easy on it for a little while... not sure why in hindsight... but....

similar to you, it seems like beating on shit early is fine...
I agree in regards to warranty. If I ever find myself buying a new car, I will selectively drive it hard in its first 500 miles. If it breaks, the engine manufacturer gets to replace it.

(I say selectively, because regardless of mileage, I don't "beat the shit out of my cars")
Old 09-12-2013, 09:00 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Just broke in a build ej257 and my builder told me to drive it HARD for 500 miles. Let me tell you, on public roads its hard to do. But I did
Old 09-13-2013, 03:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When I worked for American Motors back in the late 60's and early 70's, the master mechanic and stock car racer told me to break my new car in "the way that I plan to drive it"!. I've always done this and never had a problem down the road.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:54 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

Hmmmm... always wondered about this too.

I'll even add "break in oil" to the mix and how if you pull it out after 500 miles it's not doing it's job and that you need to leave it in for 2000

Quick Reply: Break in for new cars/engines?