Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: If you had the choice for $32K ?
Boxster
28.42%
S2000
71.58%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Boxster vs S2000 straight up

Old 04-11-2007, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist,Apr 11 2007, 10:20 AM
Did you drive a 987 or a 986?

My Boxster has the easiest transmission to live with. It's so smooth and effortless. It is my daily driver, and I drive in NYC traffic every day.

Feels better than the S2K in most ways except it needs more revs!

But which one did you drive...?
It was a 986 Boxster S.

Compared to the s2k, the 986 transmission had longer throws and felt both rubbery and notchy. I don't think you will find a transmission (save for a Miata?) that can match the feel of the s2k. Tranny probably isnt as important to some drivers as it is to me, but it is one of my favorite things about the s2k driving experience.

I havent driven a 987, but i have shifted a 997, and the tranny feels like it has vastly improved over the 996. Others tend to agree with this. Maybe the same is true of the 987 vs the 986. I still dont think the 997 tranny holds a candle to the s2k tranny tho (im talking about an AP2 btw), so i dont think an improved 987 tranny would either. just my opinion since i havent driven one. Have you driven an AP2?

I found the clutch to be very heavy in the 986 compared to the s2k. I would have to drive other boxsters to know if this was par for the course. from what i read, and what i've felt in other cars, the s2k has a very light clutch, to the point where some ppl dont like it. i prefer the light clutch for daily driving.

i prefer the tight interior of the s2k over the spacious and unfocused 986 interior. and i much prefer the sportier seats in the s2k (maybe there are sport seat options for the 986/7 that i havent sat in).

you wrote "Feels better than the S2K in most ways except it needs more revs!"

do you mean you have to rev a Boxster more than an s2k? this doesnt make sense to me given their respective powerbands. maybe i misunderstand you.

one of the things i like about the s2k is winding it up to 8K in 2nd gear and not worrying about a speeding ticket in a 35/45/55 zone. this gives a terrific sense of speed and noise and feeling, and i dont get that same sense in the boxster when i run up to its redline in 2nd gear. by the time you get into 3rd in the 986 you're going way to fast for any posted limit.

im thinking about buying a 997s, but i cant come to grips with trading away my 05 s2k. im going to wait a year and hopefully have both -- that's how much i love my s2k. YMMV.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey stone,Apr 11 2007, 01:43 PM
im thinking about buying a 997s, but i cant come to grips with trading away my 05 s2k. im going to wait a year and hopefully have both -- that's how much i love my s2k. YMMV.
I think an S2000/Cayman S garage combo would be about perfect. But, after thinking that, it occurs to me I could get about 95% of what that combination is capable of by just buying a Boxster S, and it would be much cheaper.

Personally, I'd chose a Boxster because it is much more comfortable to drive long distances than the S2000. My Fiancee's family has a cabin and ranch house 6 hours away in Wisconsin, that journey in the S2000 would tire you out, but it wouldn't be too bad in a Boxster. Unfortunately, I can't afford a decent Boxster anytime soon (my S will be an AP1, probably in the $15-18k range), so I'll "settle" for the S.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:02 PM

Received 1,566 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Springs Springs Springs.

There are guys that prefer the '00 S2k over any other year. For that same reason, I'm still partial to the S2K.

I will say at this point though, I'd drive the two (3? with the Cayman thrown in) and make a call thereafter.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Last month I put a deposit on a Cayman S.
Then I drove it.
IMHO, was 98% redundant to a boosted, geared, hardtopped, sound deadened S2k.

Except my S2000 is faster.

Bought an RS4 instead and kept the S2000. I'm really loving the combination.

But stock for stock, I'd probably do a 987>S2k>986

But dollar for dollar, I'd rather mod an S2k than pay for a new base Boxster.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by mikey stone,Apr 11 2007, 10:43 AM
It was a 986 Boxster S.

Compared to the s2k, the 986 transmission had longer throws and felt both rubbery and notchy. I don't think you will find a transmission (save for a Miata?) that can match the feel of the s2k. Tranny probably isnt as important to some drivers as it is to me, but it is one of my favorite things about the s2k driving experience.

I havent driven a 987, but i have shifted a 997, and the tranny feels like it has vastly improved over the 996. Others tend to agree with this. Maybe the same is true of the 987 vs the 986. I still dont think the 997 tranny holds a candle to the s2k tranny tho (im talking about an AP2 btw), so i dont think an improved 987 tranny would either. just my opinion since i havent driven one. Have you driven an AP2?

I found the clutch to be very heavy in the 986 compared to the s2k. I would have to drive other boxsters to know if this was par for the course. from what i read, and what i've felt in other cars, the s2k has a very light clutch, to the point where some ppl dont like it. i prefer the light clutch for daily driving.

i prefer the tight interior of the s2k over the spacious and unfocused 986 interior. and i much prefer the sportier seats in the s2k (maybe there are sport seat options for the 986/7 that i havent sat in).

you wrote "Feels better than the S2K in most ways except it needs more revs!"

do you mean you have to rev a Boxster more than an s2k? this doesnt make sense to me given their respective powerbands. maybe i misunderstand you.

one of the things i like about the s2k is winding it up to 8K in 2nd gear and not worrying about a speeding ticket in a 35/45/55 zone. this gives a terrific sense of speed and noise and feeling, and i dont get that same sense in the boxster when i run up to its redline in 2nd gear. by the time you get into 3rd in the 986 you're going way to fast for any posted limit.

I think the primary difference here is that the S2K is a raw car and the Boxster, although a true sports car, is not nearly as raw.

They are almost very different cars.

What I meant about the revving is that I wish the Boxster AND 911s (aside from gt3) had a higher redline to play with. I think the engine could handle a redline of 7500 quite easily but Porsche is conservative in this respect.

Remember that the Boxster does not have mechanical shifting. It uses cables to shift, so the motion is literally effortless.

I kind of like it, but many would prefer the mechanical "feel".

Like I said, anyone in the area wanting to drive my Boxster...you're welcome to, maybe you can report better than I can.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:14 PM

[QUOTE=Chris Stack,Apr 11 2007, 01:04 PM]I think an S2000/Cayman S garage combo would be about perfect.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist,Apr 11 2007, 02:39 PM
I think the primary difference here is that the S2K is a raw car and the Boxster, although a true sports car, is not nearly as raw.

They are almost very different cars.

What I meant about the revving is that I wish the Boxster AND 911s (aside from gt3) had a higher redline to play with. I think the engine could handle a redline of 7500 quite easily but Porsche is conservative in this respect.

Remember that the Boxster does not have mechanical shifting. It uses cables to shift, so the motion is literally effortless.

I kind of like it, but many would prefer the mechanical "feel".

Like I said, anyone in the area wanting to drive my Boxster...you're welcome to, maybe you can report better than I can.
i couldnt agree with you more, about everything you said.

they are very different cars, which is why i have a hard time understanding why ppl 'trade up' for a boxster. i guess some ppl grow out of wanting the rawness and the connected feeling of the s2k. i dont think anyone is going to say they get a more visceral experience in a Boxster (S), which is what roadster is all about for me. ppl looking for a more refined roadster should look to the Boxster and not look back. it's a great car.

i definitely prefer the mechanical shift of the s2k and really do not enjoy the cable shifting (same feeling you get shifting an M3, which i also dislike).

enjoy your p-car

Old 04-11-2007, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by CKit,Apr 11 2007, 02:19 PM
Last month I put a deposit on a Cayman S.
Then I drove it.
IMHO, was 98% redundant to a boosted, geared, hardtopped, sound deadened S2k.

Except my S2000 is faster.

Bought an RS4 instead and kept the S2000. I'm really loving the combination.

But stock for stock, I'd probably do a 987>S2k>986

But dollar for dollar, I'd rather mod an S2k than pay for a new base Boxster.
i went and checked out the RS4, and man, that is one of the most beautiful cars on the road, period.

my only caveat is that for that amount of money i would rather be driving a 997(S) off the lot. obviously, they arent directly comparable given the space in the RS4.

Im more content to get a cheaper 4-door (STi, Evo, TSX, Accord, Merc, etc.) and invest the money saved into a 2 door sports car (997, vette, etc.).

the RS4 has probably one of the hottest interiors of any street car ever made. everyone should go sit in the car to appreciate it.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:40 PM

The Boxster isn't very disconnected like some may think. Visceral? Well, it's far, far beyond a c6 corvette, but it's no Elise... But what is?

Anyways, all this talk is making me want to go out and drive.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:54 PM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=mikey stone,Apr 11 2007, 03:25 PM] my only caveat is that for that amount of money i would rather be driving a 997(S) off the lot.

Quick Reply: Boxster vs S2000 straight up