Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: If you had the choice for $32K ?
Boxster
28.42%
S2000
71.58%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Boxster vs S2000 straight up

Old 08-13-2004, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBeyond,Aug 13 2004, 12:33 PM
I like the Boxster, but I have to say there are too many of them around in Los Angeles. There are hoardes of them being driven by ordinary people who don't think of them as a performance vehicle, but rather just a "get around" like the next step up from a VW when you get a better job at the movie studio.

The real reason I've never considered buying a Boxster is because the price/performance point was not reasonable, and I didn't want to pay $10K for a badge. However!!!! I do think the Boxster would be very fun to own, and it looks great in certain colors. Almost everyone in LA has some kind of silver, but it actually looks much better in white or one of the metallic blues. With the blue soft top, it looks really nice. The hard top looks cool too.

BTW if you ignore the prices, and take the S2000 out of the equation, I would still take a Corvette instead! (Sorry)
well hell if we're ignoring price i'd take an enzo...or carrera GT
Old 08-13-2004, 07:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The boxster is weak. Slower in acceleration and handleing. The gap grows even bigger once into the triple digits. The boxster takes almost 16 second to get to 100.
For a 45 thousand dollar two seater it is lame. The boxster "s" should be the base boxster and a turbo model should be the Boxster "s".

But I do like the Boxster "LOOK". To me it is much more handsome than the s2000
but not nearly as sexy as the s2000. In the looks department I give the Boxster a tie with the s2000. I really like the meaty look of the Boxster. I give the Boxster a thumbs up just to expensive.
Old 08-14-2004, 05:57 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe I voted where it counted most ,with the check book

S2000.....accept no substitute
Old 08-14-2004, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Axel6,Aug 13 2004, 03:37 PM
I don't know if you've ever auto-x against one or not, but I can tell you that the BASE Boxster is not even close in terms of performance. As has been stated, the Boxster 'S' makes a much better competitor.

I also hate to Magazine Race, but I think you will notice that most of the numbers on paper favor the S2000. I much rather see the results in real life however and I can say that a base Boxster does not compete. Again, nice car, but not on equal footing.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is the thin air getting to you steve?

given what each car was designed to do, the Honda does it better than the Porsche.

Unless, of course, by "refined" you mean less horsepower and terrible shifter.
Heh no, but that's cool we can have different opinions.

I think the boxster is a good example of my belief that numbers are not everything when comparing two cars. Handling and the perception of handling are often two very different things.

I think that the driving dynamics of a mid-engine car are inherently better than that of a front engine or rear engine car. The boxster makes a series of compromises that in my view result in a more competent vehicle, more usable torque, a suspension that makes the limit a bit more approachable and yes *gasp* a traction control system for drivers who are perhaps not quite as well trained to approach that limit.

The Boxster is in my view the all around better car -- but how you define better is up for interpretation.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:38 AM

no question S2000 over boxster. I have driven both extensively and there really is no comparison. As was already stated, the Boxster S is closer. As far as the contest goes, if you win, take the boxster, sell it, and buy an Elise.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:47 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by offroadr35,Aug 14 2004, 10:38 AM
As far as the contest goes, if you win, take the boxster, sell it, and buy an Elise.
True that
Old 08-14-2004, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by PoweredByCamry,Aug 12 2004, 08:45 AM
I'd take the Boxster, certainly not because of engine performance though. I've driven the 2.7, yes it has more torque but that is offset by rather ridiculously tall gearing. Certainly doesn't feel as torquey as a BMW 6.

But I'd still take the Boxster, because it would be a great car for just about everything I would do with it. It would be a much better car for weekend or long trips as it's a fair bit less noisy and has those two giant trunks. That's what does it for me- right now if I want to go on a long trip with my gf, I'll probably take the Z3 Coupe but then I can't have a nice convertible when I get there. Boxster is the best of both.

Also, I think the Boxster is a very neat design. A flat engine tucked *under* the convertible top, takes two things that would normally take up double the space and combines them into one small vertical section. The engine is low which helps the CG, and the double use of space leaves more room for luggage without making the car any bigger. Yes you can't see the engine, but that's the tradeoff for some great packaging with benefits you can feel and use. It's absolutely brilliant if you ask me.

Peter
It is a good design. my friend has one... when he first got it, we tried to look for the engine, and couldn't find it.

There is a lot of storage space!!!

I voted for the boxster, coz it a Porsche!
Old 08-15-2004, 02:12 AM

Wow, a lot of responses on this one. The Boxster is a very competent vehicle in terms of braking and balance. I would wager that if taken around a track, that the Boxster and S2000 would post very similar lap times. That damn Boxster suspension is very hard to upset (unless of course you do something stupid) and is very forgiving at the limits.

The S2000, on the other hand, will bite you in the ass hard if you make a mistake. However, if you look at the numbers, the S2000 is the better performer...

That being said, I would still choose the S2000 in this case. The reason is that once you work at getting to know the S2000 and can reach the limits of the car safely, you will whip the Porsche's a$$. It is this challenge that the S2000 presents that makes it such a fun vehicle.

As far as price goes, I think I can safely say that we all live in the real world where money does matter. Take an equally equipped Boxster's price (not some BS stripped version), subtract out the purchase price of an S2000 and give me the difference. I will build an S2000 that will kick the crap out of a Boxster in all performance arenas. And I will put my younger brother at the wheel whose extent of driver training is playing Gran Turismo 3 on his Playstation 2. And that S2000 will be more fun to drive. Of course, this is all just my opinion, so no offense to anyone.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Uncle Fester,Aug 15 2004, 02:12 AM
I would wager that if taken around a track, that the Boxster and S2000 would post very similar lap times.
How much are you willing to wager? When it comes down to it, you'd take your money and run before you put it on the Boxster to match the S2000 in any road course or autocross. There is no mistake that the base Boxster WILL get spanked on any course or autocross. If you have no experience with autocross or road course, please don't speak out of your ass. Similar lap times? With the Boxster S, yes. But with a base model, it'll get spanked like a naughty little boy.

Quick Reply: Boxster vs S2000 straight up