Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.
View Poll Results: If you had the choice for $32K ?
Boxster
28.42%
S2000
71.58%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Boxster vs S2000 straight up

Old 08-13-2004, 05:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve c,Aug 12 2004, 09:41 PM
The base boxster is very close to the straight line performance of the S2000 and in some regards a better vehicle in terms of handling.

Given the choice between the two I would opt for the Porsche if the price was equal. The Porsche is overall the better and more refined vehicle.
I don't know if you've ever auto-x against one or not, but I can tell you that the BASE Boxster is not even close in terms of performance. As has been stated, the Boxster 'S' makes a much better competitor.

I also hate to Magazine Race, but I think you will notice that most of the numbers on paper favor the S2000. I much rather see the results in real life however and I can say that a base Boxster does not compete. Again, nice car, but not on equal footing.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:59 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to take one side or the other, but to say the S2000 is faster and so it's better, is like saying the Neon SRT-4 is faster than a RSX and so it's better.

But it just makes me see how good of a deal the S2000 is if people would take it straight up over a $43K car.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by allkingz,Aug 12 2004, 07:55 PM
If the Boxster had the same MSRP as the S2000, I still would buy a S2000 over the Boxster.
Just a matter of preference. I would take the Boxster over the S2000 anyday, even if the S2000 is priced at $10K.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:25 AM

I am going to say this despite the potential flaming...My opinion (at least from the sampling I see in my area) is the only people that buy Boxsters are those who really want a Porsche but cannot afford a Carrera. I call the Boxster the poor mans Porsche. There is such a significant price difference between the Boxster and the Carrera it makes me wonder in what areas did Porsche cut corners to keep the price down. To me (I am a huge Porsche enthusiast) it is the same as if Ferrari released an "affordable" model that was marketed to more the middle class that could be out performed by cars such as S2k, Evo, STi etc.. Maybe it makes good business sense to make a model affordable to the masses, but I can't help but think it puts a dent in the Manufacturers reputation when (for lack of a better word) lower cars can out perform it. Not that an STi, S2k, or EVO are lower cars but I assure you a Porsche will get more girls. Just my lame opinion so don't take too much time flaming me.

Ryan
Old 08-13-2004, 12:33 PM

I like the Boxster, but I have to say there are too many of them around in Los Angeles. There are hoardes of them being driven by ordinary people who don't think of them as a performance vehicle, but rather just a "get around" like the next step up from a VW when you get a better job at the movie studio.

The real reason I've never considered buying a Boxster is because the price/performance point was not reasonable, and I didn't want to pay $10K for a badge. However!!!! I do think the Boxster would be very fun to own, and it looks great in certain colors. Almost everyone in LA has some kind of silver, but it actually looks much better in white or one of the metallic blues. With the blue soft top, it looks really nice. The hard top looks cool too.

BTW if you ignore the prices, and take the S2000 out of the equation, I would still take a Corvette instead! (Sorry)
Old 08-13-2004, 12:41 PM
Former Moderator

I'm not a huge fan of the Boxster, but I'm glad its around. That revenue generated allows Porsche to continue building the 911, GT and any other cool car that may roll out of thier plant
Old 08-13-2004, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mindcore,Aug 13 2004, 01:41 PM
I'm not a huge fan of the Boxster, but I'm glad its around. That revenue generated allows Porsche to continue building the 911, GT and any other cool car that may roll out of thier plant
Good call!!
Old 08-13-2004, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by steve c,Aug 13 2004, 12:41 AM
The base boxster is very close to the straight line performance of the S2000 and in some regards a better vehicle in terms of handling.

Given the choice between the two I would opt for the Porsche if the price was equal. The Porsche is overall the better and more refined vehicle.
is the thin air getting to you steve?

given what each car was designed to do, the Honda does it better than the Porsche.

Unless, of course, by "refined" you mean less horsepower and terrible shifter.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Overall, the S2000 out shines the Boxster, except for the "PIMP" factor
Old 08-13-2004, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by OverBooster,Aug 13 2004, 11:25 AM
I am going to say this despite the potential flaming...My opinion (at least from the sampling I see in my area) is the only people that buy Boxsters are those who really want a Porsche but cannot afford a Carrera. I call the Boxster the poor mans Porsche. There is such a significant price difference between the Boxster and the Carrera it makes me wonder in what areas did Porsche cut corners to keep the price down. To me (I am a huge Porsche enthusiast) it is the same as if Ferrari released an "affordable" model that was marketed to more the middle class that could be out performed by cars such as S2k, Evo, STi etc.. Maybe it makes good business sense to make a model affordable to the masses, but I can't help but think it puts a dent in the Manufacturers reputation when (for lack of a better word) lower cars can out perform it. Not that an STi, S2k, or EVO are lower cars but I assure you a Porsche will get more girls. Just my lame opinion so don't take too much time flaming me.

Ryan
yes you are going to be flamed...a boxster is such a fantastic sports car, and in some ways even better than the 996 carrera...i really think you should take a drive of the boxster S...i'd easily take the boxster S over a carrera cabrio any day

Quick Reply: Boxster vs S2000 straight up