Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Bow at the Altar

Old 11-12-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,Nov 11 2009, 08:03 PM
What the F does leasing have to do w/ long term reliability? Do you think that German cars are put out to pasture after the lease is up? If anything, leasing is a negative towards reliability, b/c I'd be much less inclined to maintain it as well.

No doubt, Japanese cars are a better value, but sometimes you want a better car instead of a better value. As w/ most things, the law of declining marginal benefits per dollar spent apply to cars.
Leases are not negative towards reliability, if you dont maintain it, you will void the warranty and have to pay for the repair.

The reason why you'd want to lease any euro car is so that you wont have to lose an arm and leg to pay for the maintenance and repairs after the free maintenance and/or warranty expires.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrackerMacker,Nov 12 2009, 03:19 PM
Leases are not negative towards reliability, if you dont maintain it, you will void the warranty and have to pay for the repair.

The reason why you'd want to lease any euro car is so that you wont have to lose an arm and leg to pay for the maintenance and repairs after the free maintenance and/or warranty expires.
Both my M3 and my former Cayman S have really long oil change intervals (and BMW covers them according to their schedule). If I was leasing, I'd just stick to the schedule. Since I bought these cars and care about their long term health plus resale value, I cut the oil change intervals in half. Plus in a lease car, I'd be tempted to drive it a bit more like a rental at times. After all, who hasn't ever thrashed a rental car?
Old 11-12-2009, 02:02 PM

Yea your right, as long as you have the dealer do the scheduled maintenance, your all good, but if you dont have it maintained and something breaks, expect to pay big. I wouldn't ever buy a bimmer, i would def lease one since its cheaper and i wont have to deal with the maintenance after the free program is over. Thats only reason i would lease one, the maintenance is just too expensive. I gotta coworker with 02 5 series, needed a new alt, cost him $1200.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:43 PM

I have to agree with many of you germans are unreliable. I owned a E36 325i and dealing with exchanging window switches every year, replacing the radiator and water pump, and a faulty gas level was a pain in the ass. My Parents have owned a 1992 Camry LX and to this day aside from regular maintenance and a few lightbulbs and tune ups it has been realiable after almost 250,XXX miles. My uncle owned an E46 and currently owns a E90 325i and he has had his fair share of headaches. I am sticking with Japanese. I always felt like the Bimmer was going to leave me stranded and it did on several occasions but I have never felt that way with my Landcruiser, Matrix, and hopefully my future S2000
Old 11-12-2009, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by ///RS-2000,Nov 12 2009, 07:43 PM
I have to agree with many of you germans are unreliable.
Yeah, I was supposed to get some tickets to a U2 concert from Deiter, and he just never showed.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:07 PM

Reliability-wise, the germans may not have a problem.

Electric-wise, that's a different story. I swear, my Friend's MKIV jetta is possessed. I've never seen a car with so many electrical gremlins.
Old 11-12-2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by [DT
,Nov 12 2009, 03:46 PM] Yeah, I was supposed to get some tickets to a U2 concert from Deiter, and he just never showed.
LoL. I should correct and say German Cars. Sorry
Old 11-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by triman54,Nov 11 2009, 03:18 PM
Avast, you naysayers who have failed to heed...for I said unto thee, "Some day all will bow at the Altar of Wolfsburg!" Oh ye of little faith whose hearts are hollow, whose souls are empty. You are now condemned to an automotive diaspora. The day of reckoning has come, and you who have been deaf to my prophacy shall abandon all hope. All bow at the Altar of Wolfsburg!

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/10/vw-take...ie-meister-mei/
This is VERY temporary. Toyota will retake the spot very soon. It only happened because Toyota was being economically responsible and cutting productions.

However, Toyota halved its production earlier this year and shut down all of its plants in February, and come summer,

The year isn't over yet, though, and Toyota still expects to build seven million cars this year
Old 11-15-2009, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Steponme,Nov 15 2009, 04:11 PM
This is VERY temporary. Toyota will retake the spot very soon. It only happened because Toyota was being economically responsible and cutting productions.
Yeah...you're probably right. But still it's very interesting, especially given Porsche's attempt to take over VW. Porsche owned close to 30 percent of the company's shares and had options to close on additional shares. Had it closed on those options it would have had control over about 70 percent of VW's shares. At the time the world-wide credit markets started to dry up, Porsche was trying to get Middle Eastern financing because the options were about ready to be called. But VW got to the financiers first, diverted the cash, and ended up swallowing up Porsche. For a bit, Porsche's manipulation of the stock prices caused VW's shares to soar to the point that it also became the most profitable car company in the world. It's a fascinating story.

Now, based on the current long range plan by VW, the Panamera is out after it runs its current product cycle, and it's platform is likely to be used by Lambo for a four door competitior to the Rapide and Maserati Quarto Porte. If there is a new Panamera, expect product component sharing with the new Audi S7 or new A8. The Cayenne will not be replaced by a Cayenne II because VW group will not do another large SUV bigger than the Q5 or Tiguan in the future.

There is also talk of a new modular engine under development--a flat engine which will spin off a flat 8, 6 and 4 which hints at a spiritual successor to the 914.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:23 PM

[QUOTE=airgate,Nov 11 2009, 04:34 PM]Bleh.

Quick Reply: Bow at the Altar