Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Bow at the Altar

Old 11-11-2009, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ralleh,Nov 11 2009, 05:28 PM
I don't understand why Germans can't make reliable cars. Seems like they would be on the same level as the Japanese (axis and all).
because the way places like Consumer Reports measures "reliability" is based on cost of maintenance/repairs over time, rather than the number of times a vehicle needs work. Since BMW/VW/Mercedes typically use more expensive components, their "reliability" using that methodology will suffer.

And as long as BMW and Mercedes outfit their cars with elaborate sensors and over-wrought "convenience features," they have more things to fail. I'd never buy a 7 series outfitted with all the latest gadgets because I'd just spend a lot of time driving a loaner. On the other hand, if you order a stripped out 7 series with your basic amenities and ignore things like active steering and "17 level human adaptive cognitive posterior environment comfort modulators" you'll be fine.

Whenever people start talking about "reliability ratings," I find it's useful to ask who wants a Ferrari. Then observe that apparently desirability is not based on Consumer Reports reliability ratings. In fact it appears the opposite is true. Which puts reliability ratings in context, IMHO. The most "reliable" car is that which has no amenities and doesn't make enough power to break a pencil. Be still my beating heart :/

Reliability is nice, but in the real world it isn't a function of ratings and artificial metrics. It's a function of "will it get me to work every day." I don't care if the window rolls down if I am not late for work. I DO care if the oil pump fails or the crank bearings fail.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:14 AM

Hey...all I know is that my experience with my Passat has been very good. 115,000 miles on the clock and nothing other than regular maintenance. I will grant that the cost of maintenance is higher than on my S or Pilot, but overall my Passat has been Japanese-like in its reliability.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:53 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats to VW! I love seeing the kings dethroned and seeing this kind of turmoil around the throne.....means more innovation and competition
Old 11-12-2009, 05:40 AM

I have to agree with Chris S on this one. My S2000 has not been very reliable. I'm surrounded by s2k drivers that have had similar issues as well. Please dont make me start a list.

Airgate, I love the sig!!
Old 11-12-2009, 05:56 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

My S has had its share of issues, and Honda has not been forthcoming with help historically. I don't find Hondas any more or less reliable that my other cars, but they are inexpensive.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:40 AM

Received 522 Likes on 400 Posts

I agree with Chris S in that the S isn't exactly Honduh brainless reliable, but VWs are unreliable. I always tell VW owners to check out their local dealer service dept during the rain season and see how many cars have flood damage. Reason? For some reason over the years and numerous models, they overengineer the way the cars drain water through their drain channels, they always get plugged up or whatever, which causes the water to get into the interior. No big deal until you realize that every electronic computer is on teh floor as well.
Or ask the dealer how many interior hanldles switches, erratic error messages they get. Their drivetrains are pretty much reliable, but should anything go wrong it costs an arm and leg to repair. I wouldn't go as far as saying they're superior, I mean looking through the entire VW range there's a japanese/american engine that is comparable to the point it doesn't warrant the extra cost. And why should it cost so much? I mean Audi/Porsche sure, but VW? I mean if we were replacing seat covers I could understand cuz clearly the german leather is better (imo), but replacing a plastic bracket? I'll digress to my example of a mercedes ML rear bumper vs. a Lexus LS rear bumper- merc, 1000 bucks, plus a million little moldings that serve no purpose. Lexus LS (yes, the new one), 250 bucks. All dealer prices. Plastic is plastic, molds are molds. Supply and demand? Yes, but the demand is getting smarter, thus the increasing popularity of Lexus.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:52 AM

I'll gladly pay to fund ingenuity.

Great cars aren't built by being mediocre. German cars are the benchmarks for a reason, albeit not reliability, but fun and luxury, which are my priorities.

IMO, the Lexus LS may be gorgeous, but it still lacks the fit and finish of it's German competitors.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by exb00st,Nov 12 2009, 01:52 PM
IMO, the Lexus LS may be gorgeous, but it still lacks the fit and finish of it's German competitors.
Have you rooted around an LS460? The F&F is spectacular. You might not like the design, but in terms of materials, construction and execution I'd easily compare it to an S-Class or 7-Series (or whatever the appropriate model equiv would be...)
Old 11-12-2009, 11:16 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by [DT
,Nov 12 2009, 02:49 PM] Have you rooted around an LS460? The F&F is spectacular. You might not like the design, but in terms of materials, construction and execution I'd easily compare it to an S-Class or 7-Series (or whatever the appropriate model equiv would be...)
The Asians can build a car just as well as the Germans imo, just without the extra baubles and bolt ons that typically fail on German cars.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:28 AM

I've ridden in an LS460 and have had experience in an ex-colleagues S550. While I'd agree that the LS460 is in the same class as the S550, to me, it was clear that the S's materials felt and looked (not considering styling) better.

This carries down from the IS/ES/G/TL vs 3/A4/C, etc. I think Lexus is the closest fit & finish wise, but I still prefer the BMW/Audi/Mercedes. Styling is a whole other issue, as I think the Asian cars take the cake for the most part.

Quick Reply: Bow at the Altar