Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Bought an RDX

Old 09-28-2015, 07:23 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Nice purchase! So, in a short summary what are the notable differences between the new RDX, MDX, and '16 Pilot?
Old 09-28-2015, 07:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

U got me bro.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:34 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I was planning on buying an RDX. I went to Acura dealer with my fiance and test drove one. Not sure what it was but just didn't feel solid to me as much. I drove an MDX right after and was sold and bought it that day. New RDX does have a lot more space than the older RDX but I really liked the SH AWD on the MDX.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL, everything you just said COULD have been true if you got a Porsche SUV. Those suckers are fast!

My sister in law just got an RDX and now my friend's wife is looking at one. Great car at a great price point - just not exactly a sports SUV or as BMW calls it, a SAV.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:23 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

LOL, I was about to say...something is wrong with your Z06.
Old 09-28-2015, 12:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't been trolled this hard in a long while, thanks for the laugh lmao
Old 09-28-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not earth shattering, but respectable times for a 4cyl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e4KN23TpYY#t=25
Old 09-28-2015, 12:59 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

It's a nice SUV. SUV's are notoriously boring. I get that people need them or whatever, but when people are really into suv's...i'm always confused. I've driven the porsche ones...still...i mean...it's a jacked up station wagon. Hard to get excited about them. Basically, minivans without sliding doors. There are entire forums dedicated to mini-vans and suvs of every shape and size with feaverish fans...weirds me out.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:41 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Hahaha. I agree.
Old 09-29-2015, 07:56 AM

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Nice purchase! So, in a short summary what are the notable differences between the new RDX, MDX, and '16 Pilot?
I didn't really look at the pilot. Before these words even come out, understand that I'm fully aware of how shallow they sound, but I really wanted to buy my wife something a bit more upscale. Now, I don't have any misgivings that people hear the name Acura and think that it's as fancy as a BMW, but there is something to be said for having even a modest luxury car.

If I were buying an SUV for myself (I expect one of you guys to tell me 'bout them rabbits and put one in the back of my head if I do, haha) I wouldn't care what brand it was so long as it ticked all the right boxes. But just the same way that I bought my wife an engagement ring you can see from space, I really wanted to get her something that was "premium," even if there were more suitable options at a lower price point, though I suspect it'd be hard to find a considerably better value.

Anyhow, the MDX just felt too big. The extra seats were nice, but we only ever have extended family with us once a year, and we always have other cars for them to drive. Plus, when family comes to visit, it's usually more people than two extra seats would help much with. On a normal basis, it's just my wife, me, my 2.5 year-old daughter, and (for the time being / God willing permanently) our foster child. So most of the time we only ever need four seats, which made the MDX a bit of overkill for us.

I preferred the way the MDX drove. The steering felt more solid, whereas the steering in the RDX is effortless to a fault. The main reason my wife vetoed the MDX is that it has less usable rear cargo space than the RDX. I haven't looked at the numbers on paper, but it's plain to see that the RDX is better in that regard in the real world.

Finally, as good as the MDX is, with the RDX getting a six cylinder and growing substantially in size, it's really 95% of the MDX for (in our case) maybe 60-70% of the price. I feel like Acura keeps doing this to themselves. The first gen TSX was small compared to the TL. Then it got bigger and came with a six cylinder and made you wonder why they sell the TL.

The only thing I really don't like about the RDX is that you have to get a 2016 with ALL the bells and whistles (or a technology package or higher with the Acura Advanced add-on) in order to get blind spot monitoring. Or get an MDX.

Ultimately, I took a Rob-2's advice and told my wife that, while those features are cool, they're really not the most important thing in the world, especially considering how cautious my wife is behind the wheel. Still, I'm looking into getting an aftermarket setup installed.

Quick Reply: Bought an RDX