Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Both ends of the spectrum on car salesmen

Old 12-19-2007, 05:05 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by pbm317,Dec 18 2007, 03:24 PM
I'm guessing that original 500 mile corvette was no longer available, but that was just the reference for the dealership referral.
Yes, sorry about that. I was inquiring to the owner about ordering a brand new Vette ordered out to my specs. They've changed a little bit since my first jacked up order with the original dealership. I've decided against 3LT as it has goodies I won't need since it won't be a daily driver and will be more of a track hound.

Here is what I ordered:

'08 Silver exterior, black interior
Six-speed manual
Z51
2LT (sport seats, side airbags, power passenger seat)
Competition gray wheels

Sticker around $49.8k. After discounts and GM card, it will be around $43.4k plus TTL with no added fees. I'm fairly comfortable with that price.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand some of these car dealers. You have ordered a car to your own specifications not a car already in inventory, and when it gets there they try to up the price? If they don't sell it to you they have to find someone else that is willing to settle for the car you wanted. It seems likes they are hoping that you will be willing to stretch to the new price in order to take the car you spec'ed out. You don't take the new price and walk out, but after a day they should call you and settle at the agreed price. It is a sale that the dealership screwed up and they now have an extra car in the inventory otherwise.

When you find a good dealer you stick with them, and it works out for everyone. Hope you enjoy the car. You should at that price.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Dec 18 2007, 01:16 PM
Well, I posted here a while back about getting my order in on a new '08 Vette. To keep it short, the sales guy jacked my order up and then tried to get me to buy it with less of a discount than we had originally agreed to up front. There was no deposit nor was there a confirmed sales order. He basically told me that he would order the car and if I wanted it when it came in, I could buy it. I decided I didn't. It had all red interior, dual-mode exhaust (I want aftermarket loud all the time), and glass top (nice, but I don't want to spend the $750 extra).

So, I had a lead a while back on an '08 Coupe with only 500 miles on it. It was owned a rich guy who bores of cars easily and just wasn't driving it (he had several other cars). I was negotiating with him to buy it and before he got my last email agreeing to buy it, he had decided to sell it back to the the dealership he bought it from. This guy told me to call the dealership he bought the car from (and also sold it back to them) and speak with the owner. It's a small town dealership that apparently moves a lot of cars because they are a no BS, low overhead, closes at 6pm kind of dealership.

Well, I called and got the owner on the phone in less than a minute. We talk for about 4 minutes about ordering a brand new Corvette and he throws out some really good numbers. I thank him and tell him I'll call him back. I speak with the wife, call the owner back, and in less than 3 minutes, we have a deal. He faxes me the completed order form, I sign it, fax it back, call in my credit card number for a $400 deposit and he says I'll have the car is 30-45 days.

It was the easiest, most refreshing car buying experience I've ever had. He promised me that the rest of the transaction will go as smoothly as it has so far. He's an older, Texas gentleman, soft spoken, no BS, just shoots straight to the bottom. I know because I've been in the market for a couple months and have been all over Corvetteform, ebay, cars.com, local dealerships, etc.

Anyway, I'll post pics when I get it. I'm really excited now, since I have a confirmed sales order and deposit on my next Vette.

Hey congrats man!!!

I too had to shop dealers before I found one that was honest and respectable. It was well worth the hastle. This car is amazing!!! Your going to love it!!!

Did you get the same specs or change your order any???

Jim
Old 12-19-2007, 07:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow! That's an awesome deal! Good work
Old 12-19-2007, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by QUIKAG,Dec 18 2007, 01:16 PM
Well, I posted here a while back about getting my order in on a new '08 Vette. To keep it short, the sales guy jacked my order up and then tried to get me to buy it with less of a discount than we had originally agreed to up front. There was no deposit nor was there a confirmed sales order. He basically told me that he would order the car and if I wanted it when it came in, I could buy it. I decided I didn't. It had all red interior, dual-mode exhaust (I want aftermarket loud all the time), and glass top (nice, but I don't want to spend the $750 extra).

So, I had a lead a while back on an '08 Coupe with only 500 miles on it. It was owned a rich guy who bores of cars easily and just wasn't driving it (he had several other cars). I was negotiating with him to buy it and before he got my last email agreeing to buy it, he had decided to sell it back to the the dealership he bought it from. This guy told me to call the dealership he bought the car from (and also sold it back to them) and speak with the owner. It's a small town dealership that apparently moves a lot of cars because they are a no BS, low overhead, closes at 6pm kind of dealership.

Well, I called and got the owner on the phone in less than a minute. We talk for about 4 minutes about ordering a brand new Corvette and he throws out some really good numbers. I thank him and tell him I'll call him back. I speak with the wife, call the owner back, and in less than 3 minutes, we have a deal. He faxes me the completed order form, I sign it, fax it back, call in my credit card number for a $400 deposit and he says I'll have the car is 30-45 days.

It was the easiest, most refreshing car buying experience I've ever had. He promised me that the rest of the transaction will go as smoothly as it has so far. He's an older, Texas gentleman, soft spoken, no BS, just shoots straight to the bottom. I know because I've been in the market for a couple months and have been all over Corvetteform, ebay, cars.com, local dealerships, etc.

Anyway, I'll post pics when I get it. I'm really excited now, since I have a confirmed sales order and deposit on my next Vette.
Hey, just curious... did you get it from Blue Bonnet Motors? I think the guys name is Kelly? thats where I got my Z06 back a couple years ago, it was the best buying experience ever...
Old 12-19-2007, 10:08 AM

Received 427 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by YoZUpZ,Dec 19 2007, 08:15 AM
Hey, just curious... did you get it from Blue Bonnet Motors? I think the guys name is Kelly? thats where I got my Z06 back a couple years ago, it was the best buying experience ever...
No, wrong dealer. I will disclose the dealer I used if and when my deal goes through without a hitch. Don't want to advertise until he follows through with his words and promises.

To answer your question in the other thread, so I don't sidetrack it, yes I did do the Texas A&M sports car club and the autocrosses. This was back in the mid to late 90's (getting old now). That is probably what got me hooked on autocrosses, track days, drag racing, etc. Ah, the good 'ol days. Of course, now I'm going to be driving a new Corvette versus a used Del Sol and newer (at the time) Prelude, so I guess it's not all bad.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why in the world are you guys quoting the ENTIRE post from QUIKAG??

Old 12-19-2007, 07:25 PM

I don't see "the bad" part of this post. Lol
Old 12-22-2007, 02:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This reminds me of a couple of 'interactions' I have had with shifety car salesmen. When I bought my latest NSX I bought it out of state. The salesperson and I agreed to the numbers SEVERAL times, including two calls that I made while on the drive to Chicago to confirm everything again and again because I hate wasting time. Well...I got there and they tried screwing me over by changing the numbers and attempting to charge me an additional $5,000. I told them to go pound sand, and I was leaving. It was not my problem their salesperson was an idiot. I started walking, and finally they wised up and sold me the car on my terms. Horrible experience, and I would never buy from that dealership again.

The other one was last week. I was getting our Evo IX serviced at the dealership and was speaking with one of the sales guys about the new Evo X. He was outwardly BRAGGING about how much over he was charging customers for the car, and he was even smiling when describing how customers were giving him THOUSANDS of dollars in deposits, and he would push them aside when someone offered him more for cars that he already promised to other customers. He bragged he had already done this about a half dozen times on the Evo X. WTF? How stupid is this guy to brag to someone that is a potential customer that, 'no way will I let someone walk out of here for less than $10,000 over sticker on the Evo X'....seriously? How dumb do you have to be?

I am glad that on your quest for a Corvette that someone wised up and did the deal with you on terms that worked for both you and them. Good dealerships are rare, but they are out there. Enjoy your new car!
Old 12-22-2007, 04:34 PM

All of this is why e-mail is your friend when negotiating car purchases. Good to have everything in writing. My preference is always to avoid talking $$$ in a car dealership. The only thing to do at a car dealership before taking delivery, IMHO, is to take test drives to see what you actually want to buy. I like to do all of the negotiating over e-mail and then walk into the dealership with the printed e-mail setting forth all of the agreed upon terms. If the terms aren't honored upon arrival, F 'em and consult with an attorney if especially bitter...

Quick Reply: Both ends of the spectrum on car salesmen